McLaren Life banner
181 - 200 of 2153 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
This thread has taught me a ton about tires, thanks to all for sharing the info.

Question about the 918 roof; wouldn't the possible detriment from loss of aerodynamics be a wash with the advantage gained from weight savings?
The weight of the roof panels on the 918 will be next to nothing. The roof panels on the 10 year older CGT are unbelieveably light and one can be reasonably certain the 918's will be even lighter.

That's just wishful thinking isv.You ,ric and I were far too thoughtful on our Spa days to wreck a set of McLaren's tyres even though we had already paid for the pleasure :D
Ah but that was at Spa which has lots of fast corners and not a lot of runoff.. now if I ever did the McGT course again at say Silverstone which is mostly nice and safe or somewhere else with plenty of slow 2nd gear corners.. I promise you there'd be a whole lot more smoke and rubber coming out of the lucky car I've been assigned! :cool:

P.S don't tell Mark that otherwise he'd charge me for an extra set of tyres!!!

·
Registered
571 Posts
This thread has taught me a ton about tires, thanks to all for sharing the info.

Question about the 918 roof; wouldn't the possible detriment from loss of aerodynamics be a wash with the advantage gained from weight savings?
Assuming they stored the roof in the trunk, then nope, no weight saving gained. Besides, the roof panels weighs 6lbs each....

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
One point I hadn't spotted was that at 7.25 jb is talking about the cup 2 .. He refers to it as a stickier tyre. Th conclusion stickier than the corsa which is somewhat at odds with his tweet later. Consensus would be that the cup 2 is a stickier tyre than the corsa.

·
Registered
571 Posts
One point I hadn't spotted was that at 7.25 jb is talking about the cup 2 .. He refers to it as a stickier tyre. Th conclusion stickier than the corsa which is somewhat at odds with his tweet later. Consensus would be that the cup 2 is a stickier tyre than the corsa.
PSC2 is a better tire than Corsa, and I think we can almost call that a fact (even though I have no scientific data to back up this claim).

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am trying to look at things as objectively as possible. Though I prefer the P1 out of the three simply because of its style and presence, I must say that the Porsche is probably the best of the three all around in that it is plush and coddling inside, very understated in the looks department but still beautiful, but is about as fast in the straights and twisties as the other two while returning some ridiculous mpg/emission numbers. The other two seemed to be designed to be more track focused, especially the P1, yet the Porsche has all those amenities and yet can hang with them. Regardless of which car is your favorite you have to be in awe of all three even if for different reasons.

I am amazed it can keep up with the other two.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I'm glad to see Jethro answering more questions on his Twitter account:

William ‏@wedoug 21h21 hours ago
@JethroBovingdon Why so few laps out of the Trofeos? People seem to get at least a track day out of a set. 5 laps/5 minutes seems very low..

Jethro Bovingdon ‏
Unique compound, 903bhp, 600kg downforce... Adds up. I'm sure you'd get more laps than that but optimum grip is short lived.

William ‏@wedoug 12h12 hours ago
@JethroBovingdon Did you experience a severe taper in performance before/after, or more like 5 laps @ 1:11.x and 5 before/after @ 1:12-1:13?

Jethro Bovingdon ‏@JethroBovingdon 10h10 hours ago
@wedoug 1.11.2 on 2nd lap then it went back to 1.11.6s, then slower. Adjusted pressures, went back to 1.11.6s but then tapered off again.

Pedro Solis Chávez ‏@PedroSolisCH 8h8 hours ago
@JethroBovingdon With the 918 no changing tires, Best time possible? 1:11range as well? Come on jethro.. Finally which is fastest? Same tire*

Jethro Bovingdon ‏@JethroBovingdon 8h8 hours ago
@PedroSolisCH I don't know. Trofeo is developed for P1 but very aggressive. A similar tyre on 918 would probably prove similar time saving.

Pedro Solis Chávez ‏@PedroSolisCH 2h2 hours ago
@JethroBovingdon Not happy because the result is not defined. You say the 918 could lap better times with more laps and tire pressure--->

Jethro Bovingdon
‏@JethroBovingdon
@PedroSolisCH You heard what I said. I prefer the Porsche. P1 more suited to track, just. But not quicker except on sticky tyres.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Jethro Bovingdon
‏@JethroBovingdon
@PedroSolisCH You heard what I said. I prefer the Porsche. P1 more suited to track, just. But not quicker except on sticky tyres.

Aren't the PSC2 considered to be sticky semi slicks also?

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
I'm glad to see Jethro answering more questions on his Twitter account:

William ‏@wedoug 21h21 hours ago
@JethroBovingdon Why so few laps out of the Trofeos? People seem to get at least a track day out of a set. 5 laps/5 minutes seems very low..

Jethro Bovingdon ‏
Unique compound, 903bhp, 600kg downforce... Adds up. I'm sure you'd get more laps than that but optimum grip is short lived.

William ‏@wedoug 12h12 hours ago
@JethroBovingdon Did you experience a severe taper in performance before/after, or more like 5 laps @ 1:11.x and 5 before/after @ 1:12-1:13?

Jethro Bovingdon ‏@JethroBovingdon 10h10 hours ago
@wedoug 1.11.2 on 2nd lap then it went back to 1.11.6s, then slower. Adjusted pressures, went back to 1.11.6s but then tapered off again.

Pedro Solis Chávez ‏@PedroSolisCH 8h8 hours ago
@JethroBovingdon With the 918 no changing tires, Best time possible? 1:11range as well? Come on jethro.. Finally which is fastest? Same tire*

Jethro Bovingdon ‏@JethroBovingdon 8h8 hours ago
@PedroSolisCH I don't know. Trofeo is developed for P1 but very aggressive. A similar tyre on 918 would probably prove similar time saving.

Pedro Solis Chávez ‏@PedroSolisCH 2h2 hours ago
@JethroBovingdon Not happy because the result is not defined. You say the 918 could lap better times with more laps and tire pressure--->

Jethro Bovingdon
‏@JethroBovingdon
You might see some other questions shortly :)

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Jethro Bovingdon
‏@JethroBovingdon
He can't really say that unless he can quantify how sticky the MPSC2 is relative to the PZero Corsa. With only 0.2s in it, unless the MPSC2 and PZero Corsa are precisely the same that statement can't be made.

TBH this kind of definitive statement about the P1 being more suited to the track in question is dogmatic. What does that even mean? Is it as suited to Anglesey Coastal as say Spa or any other GP track, don't think so. How could it be?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Jethro Bovingdon
‏@JethroBovingdon

Aren't the PSC2 considered to be sticky semi slicks also?
Look at the central thread pattern between the circumferential grooves..

That's definitely the thread of a semi-slick. The wet weather handling also concurs with semi-slick status.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Race tires? Assuming you don't get bespoke tires: michelin slicks for dry & intermediate (cut), dunlop for the rain.

If you'll return with the p4/5 i'll visit your box for sure, loved the sound of your car in the past!
Forgot one part of the question: never used a pirelli slick.

·
Registered
237 Posts
He can't really say that unless he can quantify how sticky the MPSC2 is relative to the PZero Corsa. With only 0.2s in it, unless the MPSC2 and PZero Corsa are precisely the same that statement can't be made.

TBH this kind of definitive statement about the P1 being more suited to the track in question is dogmatic. What does that even mean? Is it as suited to Anglesey Coastal as say Spa or any other GP track, don't think so. How could it be?
He's referring to the conclusion of his article that the P1 was a better track car and the 918 was a better road car (overall he seems to prefer the 918). He's not saying that the Anglesey track suited the P1 better.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Someone mentioned this. What do you think?

"The P1 runs 245mm front and 315mm in the back, whereas the 918 has 265mm in the front and 325mm in the back."

If it's not fair to run a different compound, is it fair to run wider tires?

181 - 200 of 2153 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.