McLaren Life banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
much much better than I expected. This is no 12C, .

Current
991tts, 991S, 997 4.0RS, F40, 991 GT3, Wed,4.2 Cayenne,.Mini JPW TR6, RS1600,918 On order

past.
G-Apollo. 246, 355, 360, 430, 430 Scud,.911, 2.7s, 3.0, 3.2, 911 Turbo, 3.0, 3.3 FN, LE, To many to list

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
My favourite picture,mikeyb and I in full race mode with approaching speed of probably 300mph!!
I think it only does 300 mph when you press the DRS button. ;)

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The performance of this car is like no other car I have ever driven including a 98 F1 car. What is even more impressive is that the TG track is very wide, as such it is all to easy to lose the perception of speed. No chance of this with the P1.

The car has the road presence of no other car. As easy to drive as a 12C. The elec mode is a token gesture in my view as far as road use is concerned. Visibility is not good, even more so being LHD. Not sure I agree with the claims made with regard to the batt recharging. Or that brake steer is an advantage over a diff, with regard to the most efficient use of torque.

I can also say that brakes are not quite as good in feel or performance as 4.0RS or a 991TTS.

Having said this. The car is absolutely epic, You have recalibrate your sense of speed. I was expecting it to be faster than a 12C, but not on this level.......

Will post more tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
citylad, can not comment regarding the brakes, can not compare. I know he 4.0RS and 991TTS has very good brakes though. I think a longer term test is needed to really judge, since the special thing about the P1 brakes seems to be that they are consistant and close to perfect in any circumstance, regardless of cold, hot, hotter or wet.

Can also not comment on brake steer vs. diff, simply do not have enough knowledge, although from a pure physics standpoint brake steer always seems better, but I might not be understanding a diff correctly.

I can totally understand your point regarding visibility as a LHD driving it in the UK, can't be great with any LHD and clearly not this one.

Battery Recharging is a very complicated topic but in my opinion, from a physics standpoint, their claims all make 100% sense and are logical.

I agree with all the rest :) I know some guy from china said the same thing about a 96 or so F1 car and the P1 btw ;)

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
citylad, can not comment regarding the brakes, can not compare. I know he 4.0RS and 991TTS has very good brakes though. I think a longer term test is needed to really judge, since the special thing about the P1 brakes seems to be that they are consistant and close to perfect in any circumstance, regardless of cold, hot, hotter or wet.

Can also not comment on brake steer vs. diff, simply do not have enough knowledge, although from a pure physics standpoint brake steer always seems better, but I might not be understanding a diff correctly.

I can totally understand your point regarding visibility as a LHD driving it in the UK, can't be great with any LHD and clearly not this one.

Battery Recharging is a very complicated topic but in my opinion, from a physics standpoint, their claims all make 100% sense and are logical.

I agree with all the rest :) I know some guy from china said the same thing about a 96 or so F1 car and the P1 btw ;)
The brakes are wanting....I was at Silverstone Sunday in the Wet, braking from 165 in the TTS, the brakes are way above those on the P1, See below me in front.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=252421931577749&set=vb.174393309380612&type=2&theater

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Not sure what that video has to do with the brakes in the P1, but ok :)

No worries, you feel the brakes are not good, thats ok. Each their own opinion. They sure as hell reacted perfectly when I was driving the P1...

Maybe you just need to handle them differently than the ones in your TTS.. hardly something you will learn on a 5 minute drive.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure what that video has to do with the brakes in the P1, but ok :)

No worries, you feel the brakes are not good, thats ok. Each their own opinion. They sure as hell reacted perfectly when I was driving the P1...

Maybe you just need to handle them differently than the ones in your TTS.. hardly something you will learn on a 5 minute drive.
sorry Fab, you are right the vid is nothing to do with P1 brakes....Please don't get me wrong. But after the gamer changer acceleration of the car. I was a little disappointed in the brakes, Plenty of feel but just did not seem to scrub the speed off like the P ones...As you say maybe more time is needed

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
sorry Fab, you are right the vid is nothing to do with P1 brakes....Please don't get me wrong. But after the gamer changer acceleration of the car. I was a little disappointed in the brakes, Plenty of feel but just did not seem to scrub the speed off like the P ones...As you say maybe more time is needed
From all the official stats I can find, braking distance in the P1 is better than any Porsche.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I think the problem is the acceleration city. Same issue as the 12c... You're going so much faster compared to your reference that when you hit the brakes it's a different feel.. Think you need to compare like for like stops from the same speeds.. I'll be honest I mashed the brakes hard a few times but I think it will take some time to work out how good they really are..

·
Registered
3,072 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I think the problem is the acceleration city. Same issue as the 12c... You're going so much faster compared to your reference that when you hit the brakes it's a different feel.. Think you need to compare like for like stops from the same speeds.. I'll be honest I mashed the brakes hard a few times but I think it will take some time to work out how good they really are..
I only wish I could attest to what it's like to drive the P1. However, I did experience this with the 12C in sleet/ice conditions. I'm driving and the car starts to slide a touch, and I'm annoyed that I will have to go slower. When I look at the speedometer, I'm going 25mph over the speed limit. So, it wasn't really a problem with the cars handling in the conditions, as if I were going a more reasonable speed, the car was super stable.

I don't know if that analogy translates to the brakes, but it does give me a touch of deja vu.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.