McLaren Life banner

P1: Ten Random Thoughts

9K views 57 replies 20 participants last post by  AugustWest 
#1 ·
P10. This is a wake-up call for Britain. It's time for many of you to stop acting like schmucks and recognize what you have. McLaren should elicit national pride, not contempt.

P9. In a few hours, several elderly Italian men will take their espresso earlier than usual and convene. Stratagems will be bandied about. But, really, most of them will be thinking "I'm too old for this shit."

P8. If any car will ever have the sheer significance and historical impact of the McLaren F1, it may very well be P1. If not for its outright performance, then for the fact that it will save us from the THREE Bs - Big, Bloated and Bangled. History has shown us that the most esteemed are those that offer us salvation. Look how many people love Jesus Christ.

P7. If journalists have a hard time understanding the 12C, then I fear a lot of grey matter will be sizzled trying to comprehend P1. What do you get when "too capable" and "too perfect" are augmented by five times the downforce?

P6. How exactly does a company so small build new products so quickly? Is this the Formula One development race being brought to the street? If so, somebody should let McLaren's competitors know. 12C, then Spider, now P1 and P13 still to come... even in Stuttgart they must be saying "Ich verstehe nicht".

P5. If you are still wondering whether Frank Stephenson is the right man for the job, then you are probably beyond help, at this point. However, one way to save yourself from further embarrassment is to go and find a different designer to critique.

P4. One morning within the next year, we will all wake up to find a YouTube video of Chris Goodwin, Jenson Button and, if we are lucky enough, perhaps Lewis Hamilton going round a racetrack faster than anybody has ever done before in a street-legal automobile. I'm guessing that will be a pretty cool video.

P3. Right now, a Ferrari dealership in Canada is trying to figure out how they can sue every blogger that writes a positive article about P1.

P2. All McLaren 12C owners will notice that their car has extra pep this weekend. No, it is not the 25 PS upgrade. It is the sensation of looking skyward, like battle-worn infantry men on the field, to see P1 overhead and flying the side's colours. "Hey, it's one of ours!!"

P1. A tall, oafish TV celebrity began conjuring a script today. In his well-worn style, it is peppered with words like "ruthless", "clinical" and perhaps the phrase "assembled by automatons". Sometime shortly after he delivers his sermon, a racing driver in an all-white suit and helmet will set a new lap record in a McLaren, ironically taking the top spot from...... another McLaren.

See less See more
#6 ·
I might have been to harsh regarding the <acronym title="Google Page Ranking">PR</acronym> dept........McLaren DOES NOT have to release a thing till Geneva ........the P1 says it all ;0) OMG i can't stop looking at the images......gonna burn the night oil figuring out how to acquire one!
buy a 12c to start with,stop sitting on the fence;):D

#5 ·
P10. This is a wake-up call for Britain. It's time for many of you to stop acting like schmucks and recognize what you have. McLaren should elicit national pride, not contempt.

P6. How exactly does a company so small build new products so quickly? Is this the Formula One development race being brought to the street? If so, somebody should let McLaren's competitors know. 12C, then Spider, now P1 and P13 still to come... even in Stuttgart they must be saying "Ich verstehe nicht".

On P10, you got that right, but Brits have a way of slagging of our own..:D

On P6, when you are developing all products based on the same basic chassis side by side for 5 years its quite easy to bring them to market in short order.

Not sure im in love with the looks, but i hope for Mclaren's sake its a hit.

#8 ·
On P9.......oh and they conclude to issue injunctions to anyone who mentions the M word in the same sentence as Ferrari.

Entertaining and I'm sure Ron will gain pleasure from reading it. I will mention it to him if he gets back from Paris in time for early doors this evening.

#9 · (Edited)
You are so far off the truth with this I can't even bring myself to comment until I come off the ceiling! :mad:

#16 ·
Could have something to do with all of these products being released to market before they are complete? Maybe there's someone in Stuttgart saying "Ja, that P1 may be fast but it's sat nav will never work!"? :)

#18 · (Edited)
P9. In a few hours, several elderly Italian men will take their espresso earlier than usual and convene. Stratagems will be bandied about. But, really, most of them will be thinking "I'm too old for this shit."
Elegantly understated.

I think the P1's meld of form follows function (engineered AND designed simultaneously) is inevitable to cause a paradigm shift at any other company that wishes to create an car of comparative performance.

Car design via years of tradition might need more than just a bit of tweaking to be able to compete with the dynamism brought forth by the purposeful design of the P1.

#27 ·
During July, when I was in Italy in my Mac, it was celebrated by all. Never happened in such a universal way in the UK.

Come on it is a British trait to bring down our own. A bazaar trait that one day will be discovered in our DNA.

The scientist that discovers it will be bad mouthed big time!

#36 · (Edited)
Chill you two!! Russell go and buy a 12c ;)
By the way,im really impressed with you speaking your mind on Fchat over the P1 Russell,they really dont like it do they,i must be blinded but i know i will like the F70,i especially like the fact that they are making a big thing about how the front suspension mounts are moulded into the tub,revolutionary!! But it will still be fantastic im sure.!!

#49 ·
I was never referring to journalists in the first place! I know I do my fair share of griping about journalists on here and that perhaps andy's follow-up comments were about them, but in this case, I am talking about the layman posting negativity on other forums, pistonheads being only one example. I know McLaren is highly regarded by most of the UK; I'm not referring to those people. I'm addressing those that make deriding comments about Ron, McLaren, etc., for no apparent reason. And while, as I've stated, I would assume that all countries/cultures have these sorts, from afar it seems that the UK has more than its fair share of them, in comparison. I believe that is the point that andy, RIC and others will back up. If you don't agree, I am fine with that. But, I'm not apologizing for making the observation, myself, or for making a statement that I never actually made.

#50 ·
So it is a joke, must be if it is based on a few idiots posting on forums such as Pistonheads, nothing to do with our Motoring journalists or National Press or the view of Joe Public. Well I can't argue with you about what a few trolls might have to say, but then these people exist everywhere and in all forums, they need to be ignored. After all, you are pretty vocal about Ferrari but I wouldn't suggest that your view is representaive of the US.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.