McLaren Life banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1048 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
My bet would be beating the Porsche too. Only reservation would be weight of hybrid system and batteries, and possibly if the trick aero needs a more consistent / low ride height than is possible on the mixed smoothness of the Ring. I could see it properly destroying road car times on more regular race circuits.

·
Registered
194 Posts
there's no reason McLaren shouldn't beat the 918 time

better power to weight, better braking ability, better aero

all the laws of physics are in their favour. would expect a low 6:50 at a minimum, really

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Arguably the Porsche has better initial acceleration. So 0-40mph or so is likely slightly faster. From then on the P1 quickly catches up and becomes quicker. But, I think it does not matter since the P1 can likely take most turns at considerably faster speeds than the Porsche in the first place, which will completely negate that benefit it has...

We will see... :)

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
I think it will beat 918 eventually , or at least it should . As for corner speeds ( re ftyl) I think that it will depend of the corner . More accurately the speed of the corner . On a corner reliant on mechanical grip the 918 will obviously have the edge on higher speed downforce corners I think the p1 will kill every road car yet seen . Going into corners the 918 will be noticeably faster to a Pro but in acceleration especially higher speeds the p1 is noticeably faster . ( this is why the 918 will be fastest on real roads a to b and the p1 faster in track ).
The enigma of the bunch is the la Ferrari . This is potentially the fastest car here . Lightest ( unless they lie) , most powerful ( unless they lie) as aerodynamically advanced as p1 ( unless they lie ) and as track focused as p1 .
Obviously , weather , quality of surface etc will be deciding factors too . But in general terms I expect each car to be faster on the tracks that best suit that particular cars characteristics. This is simple logic ( at least lying here on my couch watching count duckula it sounds really quite clever ).

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
I would like to see a special paint offering when they set the record - if not a special paint perhaps a dedicated plaque.

Both of which would have to begin with a 6 ;)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I think it will beat 918 eventually , or at least it should . As for corner speeds ( re ftyl) I think that it will depend of the corner . More accurately the speed of the corner . On a corner reliant on mechanical grip the 918 will obviously have the edge on higher speed downforce corners I think the p1 will kill every road car yet seen . Going into corners the 918 will be noticeably faster to a Pro but in acceleration especially higher speeds the p1 is noticeably faster . ( this is why the 918 will be fastest on real roads a to b and the p1 faster in track ).
The enigma of the bunch is the la Ferrari . This is potentially the fastest car here . Lightest ( unless they lie) , most powerful ( unless they lie) as aerodynamically advanced as p1 ( unless they lie ) and as track focused as p1 .
Obviously , weather , quality of surface etc will be deciding factors too . But in general terms I expect each car to be faster on the tracks that best suit that particular cars characteristics. This is simple logic ( at least lying here on my couch watching count duckula it sounds really quite clever ).
There is one thing we have to do Doom! So regardless of us getting in heated discussions on here, let's promise each other one thing... We will do the best to bring the 918 and the P1 together to one location to do a bunch of tests with it. Honestly curious what each can do better than the other since I am rather sure you are right on many points above. And we all know how much we can "trust" car shows or magazines doing tests...

So the honest real way is a test among owners, don't you think? :)

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
There is one thing we have to do Doom! So regardless of us getting in heated discussions on here, let's promise each other one thing... We will do the best to bring the 918 and the P1 together to one location to do a bunch of tests with it. Honestly curious what each can do better than the other since I am rather sure you are right on many points above. And we all know how much we can "trust" car shows or magazines doing tests...

So the honest real way is a test among owners, don't you think? :)
This is brilliant . I was going to post something once cars started getting delivered . I have already arranged a la Ferrari owner and a huayra .
Last time an acquaintance did this with an enzo and a Carrera gt ( both his at silver stone. ) it was fantastic . He hired Sean Edwards ( supercup , ring etc. ) as the driver .
We can get Sean or former f1 pilot mike wilds to drive they are mates .
I too love stuff like that . Getting these 3 cars together may well be a world first and we can discuss later how professionally we want to proceed . I had in mind , a road course , a track day , some acceleration / braking runs and a pootling about in the cities fun day out .

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Sounds good to me. I can probably arrange another former f1 pilot through some connections of mine..

When do you get your 918, any rough idea yet?

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
Sounds good to me. I can probably arrange another former f1 pilot through some connections of mine..

When do you get your 918, any rough idea yet?
I ( like boxer) have actually asked for a later car .
Mike and Sean are good mates and would be free :)
Sorry to hijack thread .

·
Registered
161 Posts
Arguably the Porsche has better initial acceleration. So 0-40mph or so is likely slightly faster. From then on the P1 quickly catches up and becomes quicker. But, I think it does not matter since the P1 can likely take most turns at considerably faster speeds than the Porsche in the first place, which will completely negate that benefit it has...

We will see... :)
I really didn't plan or want to getting into this discussion (everybody has an opinion).

However, I think your looking at this strictly through a McLaren's fans eyes (as I understand). No problem with that. That's the joy of forums like this. Regardless of who's faster on what, I just wanted to say this/'Food For Thought':

I think the 918 will be faster 0-60 than the P1.

If a 3600 lb, 550 HP/550 Torque 911 Turbo S can go 2.4-2.6, what do you think a 3600-3700 lb, 900 HP (940 ftlbs) 918's gonna do? I think the 918 will be faster in the 1/4 mile as well (though not as big as in 0-60). Due to weight, and the decoupling of the front motor above 146 mph, I feel the P1 will be faster above 1/4 mile and on longer straights.

As far as cornering: Don't sleep on the 918. Everyone drivers that's driven it, virtually states it has some of (if NOT THE) best turn in and exit they've ever experienced on a road vehicle. It can supposedly corner at 2+G's as well. This is due to it's extremely low COG (the lowest out of the 3 Hyper-brids), 4WS, 4WD, Torque vectoring, and it's enormous torque, which dwarfs the other three vehicles. The 918's aero package and chassis, is nothing to sneeze at as well. I know McLaren's good to. But I don't think your giving the 918 it's due credit in this area.

As far a the ring: I think McLaren is unfortunately setting up many of it's most passionate true believers with disappointment. This 6:30ish time that Autoweek mentioned "from a source" sounds sheepishly like the 6:30 time mood board fiasco of several months ago. How could a team, that could barely hit 7:04 (and others say it was even worse than that), now talk 6:30 ish times again? And I know many here believe it, cause it's McLaren. However, that remains to be seen (especially if McLaren's adding sector times, for a vehicles which may have a compromised Hybrid drive train to begin with).

The last we heard, McLaren was to attack the ring again with new Pirelli's. I don't think it was 'Porsche-like sandbagging (the reputed 7:04 time)', cause obviously McLaren wanted to make some sort of big announcement several weeks ago, and did not/hastily aborted it. Aren't they supposed to produce this car soon as well? Lol

I'm not sure, what McLaren's going to do as far a ring time. However, it seems like an unnecessary obsession with them from my perspective. If they do beat the 918's current time, they will have to SMASH IT, cause no one will care if they do. "Been there, done that" is what many would feel. Plus, Porsche's already reaped the fan fare, adulation, sales and benefits from the worlds motoring press at Frankfurt. McLaren would have to make it significant, for Porsche not break it back as well, as they already been serving notice this week. However, I don't know if McLaren can/will? As FTYL (and others) said earlier, "We'll see?" Good Luck to them though. Either way; I'm sure they P1 will be a great car, and please many of it's fans for years. I wish them well.

I'm not sure what we can gauge from the LaFerrari, when it's not even known to have an advanced prototype yet (and as WT Doom mentioned, ' if we can we believe it's specs')? I guess, we'll have to see on that one as well? Not much to say.

The time for talking is over with these manufacturer's Now they just have to produce, with their working vehicles. Too many undelivered promises so far. I'm also curious to see if the both the P1 and LaFe come in at over 3400+ lbs as Motor Trend expects them to?

Once again; I'm not saying what the P1 won't and can can't do (that's up to actual performance). This was just food for thought.

·
Registered
271 Posts
It would be great if a couple of owners of P1,918 and LF get together, engage a driver to drive all 3 cars around the ring. This would be epic. The same driver with the 3 hottest cars.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
CarMeister, you are entitled to your opinion. People that constantly complain that others believe only one side, usually believe only the other ;) As in your case...

All great stats you posted. By your logic, considering you think a 918 is faster than a Turbo S because it has more HP and more torque.. awesome... that would also mean that a 2800lb P1 with even more HP than the 918 is going to be even faster.

But you know yourself that this does not hold up, because it depends on much more things than just weight and HP. All numbers, all stats, all figures, all talk in magazines, all talk posted here, is in the end just hearsay and PR.

Who knows what the P1 can do at the Ring, the only thing we know for a fact is that the 918 can do 6:57... The rest is all to come...

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
It would be great if a couple of owners of P1,918 and LF get together, engage a driver to drive all 3 cars around the ring. This would be epic. The same driver with the 3 hottest cars.
I'm not hiring the ring for a day it's several hundred thousand euros matey.
Iam pretty sure I could sort something out at spa or silver stone during a track day at lunch time for a couple of hours though .

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I ( like boxer) have actually asked for a later car .
Mike and Sean are good mates and would be free :)
Sorry to hijack thread .
We need more than two in case we have a LaFerrari there too ;)

1 - 20 of 1048 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.