McLaren Life banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just was talking to McDc and I had a great idea of how to explain, in completely non-technical way, what in my opinion the core "logic" of the Hybrid P1 system is. I thought I would share it with all of you since it might be easier for some to understand. It's rather short too... :)

Imagine a normal car driving around a track. We all know that the car can never use 100% of its power output, regardless of how good it is.
Adding an electric engine to the mix, will let you increase max power at the times the car can use 100% and you can optimize torque all the time of course.

So what the Hybrid now does is, whenever the car can not use 100% of its petrol-power, it will try to store some of that in the battery so that the electric engine can use it at a later stage.

The hybrid system in the P1 is thus not only to save petrol, but in race circumstances it is there to basically let the car generate 100% power as much as possible and using the total power not instantly but some of it delayed via the electric engine.

Maybe this helped some people understand the logic a bit more, and why the "brake regen" part is really immaterial compared to the rest.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Hi all,

I just was talking to McDc and I had a great idea of how to explain, in completely non-technical way, what in my opinion the core "logic" of the Hybrid P1 system is. I thought I would share it with all of you since it might be easier for some to understand. It's rather short too... :)

Imagine a normal car driving around a track. We all know that the car can never use 100% of its power output, regardless of how good it is.
Adding an electric engine to the mix, will let you increase max power at the times the car can use 100% and you can optimize torque all the time of course.

So what the Hybrid now does is, whenever the car can not use 100% of its petrol-power, it will try to store some of that in the battery so that the electric engine can use it at a later stage.

The hybrid system in the P1 is thus not only to save petrol, but in race circumstances it is there to basically let the car generate 100% power as much as possible and using the total power not instantly but some of it delayed via the electric engine.

Maybe this helped some people understand the logic a bit more, and why the "brake regen" part is really immaterial compared to the rest.
Nice write up. Question for you.

In the real world what would say the range is on Batt power alone. At say normal driving not exceeding any speed limits. And then how long does it take to recharge the batt using petrol power again under normal driving until the batt is over 85% charged...

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Ftyl

Can you remember where you posted the details of your calculation regarding how long max power was avail and so forth? Think you said it was 86 seconds or something without regeneration... I looked all over this morning trying to find it...

Mods, can we sticky this thread somehow and I will try and add the salient points that have been discussed over the past year...

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice write up. Question for you.

In the real world what would say the range is on Batt power alone. At say normal driving not exceeding any speed limits. And then how long does it take to recharge the batt using petrol power again under normal driving until the batt is over 85% charged...
I do not know the details on their electric sadly. Electric motors power consumption is logarithmic-like. So the faster the RPM, the quicker the consumption rises. Thats why it has a far longer range than just taking the kWh of the battery and comparing it to the kW of the electric motor. If you compare it directly, it would last less than 2 minutes. It could also be charged fully in less than 2 minutes of driving though in petrol mode by that logic!

So without knowing the actual kW usage at a certain speed, its hard to say. But at 50kph for example, let's assume it uses less than 1/4 of its power (and it is quite likely even less than that), it would last about 10 minutes. Or basically 8km.

Plenty to drive around a city.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts