·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
That's going to be awesome. Hopefully they'll release a video review, as well. I do enjoy Steve Sutcliffe's videos (not as much as Chris Harris, but still, solid stuff).

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Just read it. Sounds good. It is literally just a talk about how it felt driving. No stats. He does sound amazed though. So a good first-drive review.

This is XP7 btw. The car that until now drove on the Ring is also an XP and an earlier one. So even if it has updates in terms of software, they do not have final aero kit and lots of sensory equipment which make them heavier. So in my opinion no wonder they did not do a time on the Ring yet. AT LEAST they need to use a PP to test. I am sure thats what they are waiting for. I also know that there still are changes in the software they are implementing right now, which is the only reason why the first finished customer cars did not go out for delivery yet.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
passenger laps in a test mule.....Why are no cars being delivered until the end of Oct?
First you start posting in a P1 thread about the 918, right after registering.

Then your next post is a question for a guy talking to a McLaren guy in China about some freak rumor about the electric motor losing power at 40°C which is also clearly rediculous.

And now your third post you are trying to start a rumor that cars are not to be delivered until END OF October?

Can you be an any more obvious McLaren hater than that? Seriously... whats your contribution here other than trying to spread misinformation?

Cars are already finished and deliveries will begin end of this Month. They are waiting to the latest software update which is being tested right now.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Any idea what those software changes are Fabian?
Just optimizations, tweaks and a few last bug fixes that came from the last couple of months testing the PPs and late XPs.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Respectfully you need to check again…I do not hate Mcl…..Lol…The question with regard to the temp is well founded…..
Respectfully, the question is not founded at all. Because again, the AMBIENT TEMPERATURE right next to the PETROL ENGINE is going to be higher than 40°C anyway..

And combined with your other posts on this forum, the intent is rather questionable.

Did you ask the same question to Porsche about their 2 electric motors?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Respectfully you need to check again…I do not hate Mcl…..Lol…The question with regard to the temp is well founded…..I was told this morning that no bums in cars until the middle or end of next month....no reasons given....
You were told wrong. The cars are finished and simply waiting a software update so they do not deliver them now and give the update a week later. Makes little sense. So they are waiting a couple of weeks until they are done with it.

And even if, if it takes them a week longer or two weeks longer to release the cars, who cares.. they are driving around with 10 of them all over Europe, Asia and US. Clearly the car works.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Respectfully you need to check again…I do not hate Mcl…..Lol…The question with regard to the temp is well founded…..I was told this morning that no bums in cars until the middle or end of next month....no reasons given....
Apollo turned into spaceman... same level of knowledge...different reality planet to the rest of us..

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
If you are a customer, then you have the same info as me with regard to del dates….With regard the temp…does this cause a loss in power…?
No it does not.

I get my car around February.. Thats all I need to know. I do not give a crap on when they START delivering :) It's not like they stopped build process... so it will not delay my delivery.

Electric Motors are rated to a certain max temperature. If the temperature is exceeded, LIFE of the motor lowers, but it does not lower power. There might be protective tech in it that lowers power output if heat goes too high. But considering they have been running this machine in Nevada at 45°C for the last couple of weeks without issues, I doubt there will be any problem.

ANY electric motor will protect itself, if it overheats. There is no reason whatsoever to believe that if outside temperature is above 40°C that it has to protect itself. Again, the 40°C comes from multiple sites online that discuss heat and AC motors (not DC motors btw, like this one is!) and degradation and effect of overheating. There are motors rated at much above 40°C though too. It is just STANDARD to have them at 40°C since most AC motors are run in major factories where heat is controlled below 40°C.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just read it. Sounds good. It is literally just a talk about how it felt driving. No stats. He does sound amazed though. So a good first-drive review.

This is XP7 btw. The car that until now drove on the Ring is also an XP and an earlier one. So even if it has updates in terms of software, they do not have final aero kit and lots of sensory equipment which make them heavier. So in my opinion no wonder they did not do a time on the Ring yet. AT LEAST they need to use a PP to test. I am sure thats what they are waiting for. I also know that there still are changes in the software they are implementing right now, which is the only reason why the first finished customer cars did not go out for delivery yet.
Thanks for the info, ftyl. Definitely can't wait to see the P1 give its best at the 'Ring ;)

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Respectfully, the question is not founded at all. Because again, the AMBIENT TEMPERATURE right next to the PETROL ENGINE is going to be higher than 40°C anyway..

And combined with your other posts on this forum, the intent is rather questionable.

Did you ask the same question to Porsche about their 2 electric motors?
last time I looked the electric motor was a bespoke unit designed in house by McLaren eh Fabian..

one assumes that McLaren were utterly oblivious to the operating temperatures in which it would need to operate... equally they have no knowledge at all about how to have electricals and mechanicals working in extreme environments at all ...

you couldn't make this stuff up could you really... ahh... gives us something to laugh about...

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
btw
just for the avoidance of doubt, the wheels are round... all four of them..they got that bit right as well apparently... just in case there was anyone out there who thought they might have made a mistake there also...

1 - 20 of 69 Posts