McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not a fan of the color, wish it was the yellow/carbon as the dark purple hides the lines, but the car is amazing. In person the details on how the curves and vents all work together is badass, really hard to see in pictures. No engine hatch, it's only accessible from below, there are two flap up panels for oil, gas and charging ports.

I got em to start it up for a few revs.

some pics...

http://www.dragtimes.com/blog/mclaren-p1-showing-at-the-collection-coral-gables-fl

·
Beyond P1
223 Posts
I'm probably slow to notice, but I really like how the ends of the rear taillights attenuate in intensity. It's a nice artistic touch and must be FS.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm probably slow to notice, but I really like how the ends of the rear taillights attenuate in intensity. It's a nice artistic touch and must be FS.
Do they? Or is that just the camera moving about and getting in line of sight? What makes them attenuate?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Thanks for sharing fiksegts.

In this vid you can really appreciate how lightweight the P1 doors are. Marcus (??) uses like 2 fingers and yet lets go while the door is still on its downward swing. The P1 responds with a quite lovely and delicious CLICK. What a car!

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Press / demo car?
Probably the very same car they used at Goodwood.

It is certainly not a US car - it lacks the amber elements in the headlamps and the reflectors that will run on the edges of the wheel arches. Also the fuel filler label reads 98 RON and our fuel is rated in Octane so the label would need to say that instead.

Do they? Or is that just the camera moving about and getting in line of sight? What makes them attenuate?
Fewer LEDs and gradually wider spacing between them.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the doors actually felt much heavier than the 12C, when closing them you could bring them down 3/4 way and let the door go and it would shut and latch by gravity... vs my 12C that I have to slam down to shut... I think it has to do with the shock pressure on the door...

In this vid you can really appreciate how lightweight the P1 doors are. Marcus (??) uses like 2 fingers and yet lets go while the door is still on its downward swing. The P1 responds with a quite lovely and delicious CLICK. What a car!

·
Registered
11,177 Posts

Marcus Korbach,really nice guy,one of the heads of P1 and MSO worldwide

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I hope I'm alone in feeling a little disappointed in that?
I think it may be louder on camera. Look at the discussion below (I took this from the other P1 thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
looks awesome. am I right in assuming the back-ground noise in the video is from the tyres?

Yes, it's a funny one because it definitely sounds like there's far more background noise in the video than I would say you realistically heard in the cabin. We were having conversations at completely normal levels and of course in e-mode it got incredibly quiet.

It was Shmee who wrote the answer. It seems as though the video amplifies some of the sounds i.e. tyres. Could be the same with the rear wing.

Maybe I'm wrong though and the rear wing is quite noisy. Either way, not a major concern.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
You're only going to hear that noise when the wing supports go up and down - the wing articulates without a sound from what I have seen. I actually like it when cars make mechanical noises as long as they are intentional. Brings them to life a bit.

BTW: To correct my earlier assumption, this isn't the Goodwood car which was VP4, this is PP3 which Clarkson drove.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
123 Posts
So Erik, will you be tracking P1 serial #'s as closely as you have with the F1? Approximately 4x the work, but I'm guessing that each will be quite unique.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
You're only going to hear that noise when the wing supports go up and down - the wing articulates without a sound from what I have seen. I actually like it when cars make mechanical noises as long as they are intentional. Brings them to life a bit.

BTW: To correct my earlier assumption, this isn't the Goodwood car which was VP4, this is PP3 which Clarkson drove.

>8^)
ER
I agree. I instantly loved the sound the rising wing makes. It sounds a bit like the hydraulic rams on an aircraft simulator. The wing supports are a work of art by themselves (yes, I'm a giant design nerd!)
I find it a nice change to see a beautiful mechanical piece in a world sometimes dominated by touch-screens.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts