McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In many of the P1 mule pictures, the ride height seems to be higher than the show car. I suppose it could just be a cockpit-adjustable lift system, but what I really want to know is if maybe it will do something like this:

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
That would be really nice and hopefully they're listening. With their suspension electronics software this should be be easy to accomplish.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That would be really nice and hopefully they're listening. With their suspension electronics software this should be be easy to accomplish.
Well, when I asked Antony if P1's suspension was an evolution of the 12C's PCC, he said more like a revolution. Active ride height, implemented in this way on a road car, would definitely fall under that category!

That said, I can foresee a number of challenges. Firstly, I'm not sure if there are intellectual property issues. Secondly, if some journalists do not like the level of tech wizardry in the 12C, they will really struggle to comprehend this. Also, even though it has been another 20 years, I understand that the system was not the easiest to handle at the limit. Sensor data could be misinterpreted, I think sometimes caused by air in the hydraulics, causing unintended chassis behaviour. Prost was quoted somewhere as saying it didn't completely suit his driving style.

But, if they could do it, the performance gains might be immense. I look at P1's rear diffuser and it is so massive, I wonder if the penalty is excessive drag. The Williams cars I believe had a push-to-pass button that would raise the whole car up on the straight, breaking the diffuser effect and combined that with extra revs. Something like that might work on P1, too? Then again, we haven't seen under P1 yet. I don't know how far forward the diffuser starts, or perhaps if it is possible to spoil its effect using the previously mentioned flaps ahead of the front wheels. Again, I don't really know what I am talking about, so if there are any aerodynamicists lurking here, I would love if you would chime in and tell me if my ganja is too ripe! :eek:

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
He wasn't wrong at the time - GM were definitely working on it.

From here.

That was a nice find. 22 years is a long time and I tend to believe these are very attainable functions with the evolution in instrumentation, hardware and software. An engineering company like McLaren, in my opinion, can provide such technical platforms. I question whether these companies have the will to implement these technologies to a relatively large group of motor enthusiast. The systems would need to be bulletproof prior to deployment. In the event of failures would their maintenance infrastructure be capable of repairs of these technical systems. These are major leaps with tons of rewards if successful but it also has severe consequences if they fail. Risk - Reward

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Well, when I asked Antony if P1's suspension was an evolution of the 12C's PCC, he said more like a revolution. Active ride height, implemented in this way on a road car, would definitely fall under that category!

That said, I can foresee a number of challenges. Firstly, I'm not sure if there are intellectual property issues. Secondly, if some journalists do not like the level of tech wizardry in the 12C, they will really struggle to comprehend this. Also, even though it has been another 20 years, I understand that the system was not the easiest to handle at the limit. Sensor data could be misinterpreted, I think sometimes caused by air in the hydraulics, causing unintended chassis behaviour. Prost was quoted somewhere as saying it didn't completely suit his driving style.

But, if they could do it, the performance gains might be immense. I look at P1's rear diffuser and it is so massive, I wonder if the penalty is excessive drag. The Williams cars I believe had a push-to-pass button that would raise the whole car up on the straight, breaking the diffuser effect and combined that with extra revs. Something like that might work on P1, too? Then again, we haven't seen under P1 yet. I don't know how far forward the diffuser starts, or perhaps if it is possible to spoil its effect using the previously
mentioned flaps ahead of the front wheels. Again, I don't really know what I am talkingabout, so if there are any aerodynamicists lurking here, I would love if you would chime in and tell me if my ganja is too ripe! :eek:
I don't know Sh...t about this either but can they use the latest generation of magnetorheological tech along with advance ECU programming to offset the issues you stated above. that was one COOL suspension trick, to see a race car do that. NEAT. Lotus had been looking into this tech for a long time now, for some reason you don't hear about it any more, until the 12C debuted. Seems to have had renewed interest in this area

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Corvette did release the famous ZR-1 with the Lotus engine just no active suspension.
Of course they did - I think everyone knows that. I've driven a couple, including one from the final year with 405-hp at over 150 mph. Not sure I'd try that twice though - Corvette's have come a long way since the C4 chassis. :D

Can't believe I'd never seen that! Amazing, thanks! :cool:
Glad you like it - the development of these was one of the few nuggets of wisdom I can still recall from way back then. Didn't expect to find such a complete set of photos/info when I searched for it though.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I don't know Sh...t
You talk alot of it :rolleyes:

can they use the latest generation of magnetorheological tech along with advance ECU programming to offset the issues you stated above
Simple answer, yes. Using the 12C's suspension setup it would only require some extra tanks of hydraulic fluid (nothing huge either, easily under a litre for all), valves and some programming (plus testing) to create a similar system.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
In many of the P1 mule pictures, the ride height seems to be higher than the show car. I suppose it could just be a cockpit-adjustable lift system, but what I really want to know is if maybe it will do something like this:

At Paris the suspension was in track mode.. It does have adjustable height .. Think three position was mentioned

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Isn't there a bit of footage in the senna video showing the Williams almost dancing !? I've seen it somewhere. Pretty extraordinary.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think it does have it and is more complicated than what they said at Paris. Of you watch the last video, at when the car was at the gas station but must importantly, when it was making a you turn towards the end. The suspension seemed to auto adjust as it went over the bumps.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I think it does have it and is more complicated than what they said at Paris. Of you watch the last video, at when the car was at the gas station but must importantly, when it was making a you turn towards the end. The suspension seemed to auto adjust as it went over the bumps.
Thanks. Ill go and recheck the vid !

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
You talk alot of it :rolleyes:

Simple answer, yes. Using the 12C's suspension setup it would only require some extra tanks of hydraulic fluid (nothing huge either, easily under a litre for all), valves and some programming (plus testing) to create a similar system.
Starting to get OLD......AHOLE:p

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
He wasn't wrong at the time - GM were definitely working on it.

From here.

>8^)
ER[/QUOTE

Corvette did release the famous ZR-1 with the Lotus engine just no active suspension. Suspension looks like an OLDER version of the 12C;).......that car must be worth some bucs!:eek:
If you are talking about the LT5 engine used in the ZR1 during the 1990's. those engines were manufactured and assembled by Mercury marine in Stillwater Oklahoma.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts