McLaren Life banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have a few McLaren owners in NYC and I'm curious what it's like to own and park their McLaren (and/or equivalent marque) while living in the city (Manhattan)...

(I know driving in/around the area is a PITA, the roadways are awful, the traffic is horrendous, the garage spots are expensive, etc. My question is more towards those who own+keep their McLaren in the city, any insights and experiences would be most helpful. It'd be for leisure/non-commuting travel, nights/weekends/etc out of the city.)

Best situation is a place of residence with parking (even for additional $), followed by secured/valet remote parking-garage. I don't think nearby areas to midtown (ie. Jersey City, Queens) with parking services/scenarios would be practical.

Curious...

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a spot in the city--I park and lock, but this is rare. I find the valet guys take care of the car when I have to do that, so not an issue if you have to go that way. The only issue I can think of is to make sure the garage will take a McL. Some NYC garages exclude McL, F, and RR likely due to insurance issues. I only saw this once, but I would check to make sure.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,027 Posts
I have a parking garage across the street. They have a monthly rate, but I pay up front, cash, year in advance and got a very good rate. I'm almost embarrassed to say, but $275 a month. They do valet, but I always park and pull it out myself. The lads are a bit squeamish to take it out or park it, and I'm cool with it. They let me pick a spot up stairs in a corner, that is low traffic/movement, so I'm happy with its position. I put a cover on it just to reduce dust. They hand wash the car for $20 (and i give $10 tip). Which is a bargain, and I don't worry about it since I have a full Xpel wrap, I'm way way less nervous about the wash that way.

I think I have a bit of an unusually good deal for manhattan, and even for uptown.

BTW, the ideal is to put it on a lift and that way there is no chance of people banging about the car, but the lifts around manhattan are too narrow. I backed the 12C into one (I imagine it's what it feels like in landing the space shuttle), and I'm not exaggerating, there might have been 1/4" space on each side of the car, but the problem is you cannot open the doors as they would hit the edge guards of the lift.

I agree with JP on taking the exotic can be an issue. The way it worked for me is I paid a year in advance first for my honda, slipped my corvette in as I still had half a year left. Then renewed, and part way through the year put my macca in. So since I had the deal up front, they didn't give me a headache. Way better way to negotiate the rate when you start with an old honda and lock in for a year. :)

As always, YMMV.

·
Registered
475 Posts
On the subject of parking, any issues with those doors? From what I've seen of the Sports Series the doors require a little less space than the 12C style or doors. Anyone ever been unable to get out... or more important come back to find a car blocking your entry?

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,027 Posts
On the subject of parking, any issues with those doors? From what I've seen of the Sports Series the doors require a little less space than the 12C style or doors. Anyone ever been unable to get out... or more important come back to find a car blocking your entry?
The doors do require a reasonable amount of space. Since my spot is in the corner, I always park the car within an inch or so of the passenger side door to give myself plenty of space to get out my side, and to give extra buffer room for the cars that park around me.

Knock wood, so far I haven't been closed in. And since the lads move cars that are parked in front of me when I'm leaving, even if they got close, they'd move any cars that are too close. That will be the case in any valet parking garage.

Oddly, I prefer to be surrounded by at least a car to my side and in front of me in the corner because there is no actual moving traffic in the garage. If you see how fast they drive in/around the garage, and how tight the passage ways around the garage are, to me, it's preferable to take an extra 2 minutes to get in/out of the spot with the lads clearing cars to let you to your spot, than have an easier to access spot where traffic constantly moves past your car.

As always, YMMV.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thinking about bringing my 720S to Manhattan from Miami. I have my Zo6 here I pay 1100 a month parking at MIMA tower Midtown West. But its right near the Valet and my own private spot. I can get the spot next to it as well for what I assume will be another 1100 a month. Hand Wash 40 USD.

I'd only drive this to Jersey in the summer on weekends and around Manhattan, to the club in meat packing or something, that's it, but is it worth even having it in Manhattan, some of these roads suck and there are a few speed bumps if I ever ran into one crossing town near a charter school I would hold up traffic for 40 years haha!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts