McLaren Life banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent today driving the new 911(991)) with Vector Steer which acts on the rear inside wheel.

When triggered it felt like the front end went light and was being picked up and placed on an inside line - at the extreme and on a number of occasions I was tempted to compensate as I felt it was turning in too agressively. It felt false and overly intrusive but this was my first drive in the new 911 ( and the weight is in the rear).

How do Mp12 drivers describe the sensation of Brake Steer?

After driving the 911 like I stole it for 150 miles on twisty back roads mainly in middle gears it returned 14 mpg, normally I would expect 18 mpg. (imperial gallons)

What mpg would the MP 12 deliver?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I spent today driving the new 911(991)) with Vector Steer which acts on the rear inside wheel.

When triggered it felt like the front end went light and was being picked up and placed on an inside line - at the extreme and on a number of occasions I was tempted to compensate as I felt it was turning in too agressively. It felt false and overly intrusive but this was my first drive in the new 911 ( and the weight is in the rear).

How do Mp12 drivers describe the sensation of Brake Steer?

After driving the 911 like I stole it for 150 miles on twisty back roads mainly in middle gears it returned 14 mpg, normally I would expect 18 mpg. (imperial gallons)

What mpg would the MP 12 deliver?
The brake steer on the 12c seems alot more subtle,im sure when we drove i wasnt aggesive enough to activate it,yet i wouldnt want to travel much faster on country roads,so maybe being mid-engined the balance is better and the brake steer is only active in the extreme,or its so unobtrusive we didnt notice it,but i think the former.On that run i remember we didnt dip into single figures,but ive had as low as 7.1 mpg and as high as 28.1 so far,with an average over 3500 miles of 18.9,which is comparable with my turbo,but i would say ive been travelling at least 15% quicker in the 12c

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Andy, despite Porsche defying the laws of Physics with the 911 the rear engine made it's position, or presence, clear today and I was reminded why there is great satisfaction from driving a Porker! But that Vector steer was intrusive and my engineering (limited) instincts say that restraining the inside rear wheel of a rear engine car must 'pick up' the front end.

The Mclaren is clearly better balanced on corner entry but not so sure about exit........guess the 911 configuration lets you be braver with the power earlier.......maybe.......?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
andy On that run i remember we didnt dip into single figures said:
Andy, you must be slowing down as you were 25 % quicker than your turbo when I rode shotgun!

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
not sure my findings are that relevant, but going quickly after the run in period was about 16 ish over the tank which included a bit of motorway type stuff..... i havne't seen the 28s that andy speaks of but i guess my engine still tight... 25 i think the best so far and that was brief!

have been trying to 'feel' the brake steer but as yet not really got there.. having said that i have done a number of round abouts at stupid speed trying to force the nose wide but not getting it to do so, but equally not thinking 'hang on, what's going on here' either.. just immense grip so far.. 15% faster than previous champ the gt3 rs, and didn't get a clear run.. going down a's and b's its so nimble and easy to place haven't felt that it's been even close to needing to change the vector..

have also had the 'aromatic' brake pads that andyc spoke of... that's what made me think i should perhaps give them a little longer to bed in...

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
not sure my findings are that relevant, but going quickly after the run in period was about 16 ish over the tank which included a bit of motorway type stuff..... i havne't seen the 28s that andy speaks of but i guess my engine still tight... 25 i think the best so far and that was brief!

have been trying to 'feel' the brake steer but as yet not really got there.. having said that i have done a number of round abouts at stupid speed trying to force the nose wide but not getting it to do so, but equally not thinking 'hang on, what's going on here' either.. just immense grip so far.. 15% faster than previous champ the gt3 rs, and didn't get a clear run.. going down a's and b's its so nimble and easy to place haven't felt that it's been even close to needing to change the vector..

have also had the 'aromatic' brake pads that andyc spoke of... that's what made me think i should perhaps give them a little longer to bed in...
Mikey,the 28 was done on a long motorway run in 7th at an average of 75mph,i think with what you and i have experienced is that the brake steer is so far up the performance level with the handling and grip of the car ,that you might only see it on the track!!

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have found to porsche systems to be a bit intrusive. As Clarkson said, the McLaren traction control system is very subtle, it invites you in for tea and politely says that you over did it a bit.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have found to porsche systems to be a bit intrusive. As Clarkson said, the McLaren traction control system is very subtle, it invites you in for tea and politely says that you over did it a bit.
LOL:D

i have found both the traction control and brake steer to be very subtle, especially when compared to other brands. The only time for sure that i know i will feel it is when using launch control. The brake steer i know is working when i go round a known corner quicker than i ever have with no drama or fuss. I read that Mclaren spent a lot of time on the electronics to make it this way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts