McLaren Life banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

Registered
Last year had thermostat replaced same issue car temp out when pushed. Driving moderate at 65 mph car temp was in range, and if it gets hot it will go into limp mode. Agree with all that鈥檚 the problem. Good luck 鈥︹.mine was picked up once parts came in took two weeks due pandemic as it didn鈥檛 want to leave my car at the dealer possibly outside.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Car

Registered
McLaren 12c 2012
Welcome mate, see, these cars are really fine to own if you have help, if not you are at the mercy of the dealer, and that REALLY sucks. Most of the time they create more problems as well.

Registered
Welcome mate, see, these cars are really fine to own if you have help, if not you are at the mercy of the dealer, and that REALLY sucks. Most of the time they create more problems as well.
I'm at the mercy of a dealer right now. Perhaps you could help by answering a quick question. I had my 2018 570s in the shop for a weird transmission error message. They said nothing was wrong, couldn't replicate the issue, etc. However told to replace my thermostats... specifically "REPLACE THERMOSTATS - TECH RECOMMENDS REPLACING THE THERMOSTATS DUE TO ACTIVE FAULTS FOUND IN THE ECM" which I paid them to do. I get the car back and it throws a CEL in five min. I send it back and they said "099 REPLACE ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR CUSTOMER STATES A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON" Long story short, I talk to the service advisor and explain that this feels like they just guessed at the code and threw thermostats at it, but then now they realize it's the engine coolant sensor. He's trying to tell me that the thermostats have a sensor in them too sensing how much it's supposed to open etc. Sounds to me like BS and I'd like to know: a) do the thermostats have sensors in them like he's saying? b) what's my argument to prove that they overcharged me and should at least fix the sensor gratis?

**edit
I realize this is the wrong forum. Sorry.

Registered
McLaren 12c 2012
correct,thermostats have a sensor built in.
they do not. Those are heater elements. They are used to bringup temp faster. They are not reaponsible for water temp readings.

there are 3 sensors responsible. One on each main water pipe, and one in the cylinder head for head temp.

Can you post your exact symptoms and error codes pls thanks

note that if the water pump seal has failed, you will get gearbox and clutch overheat messages and all kinds of things pop up related to temperature

Registered
I just did some spirited morning driving on the twisties. After about 15 minutes power was cut and the car had water temps on max.

I pulled over and am let her cool down. It is no longer on max and orange but I am surprised this happened after such a short time driving her.

She made it home ok but it appears there might be a sensor issue as there wasn't any fluid where she slept last night. Water levels were on the high side besides not pushing her hard.

Any advice is appreciated.

View attachment 220456

Registered
The method of posting seems to have changed, thus my error in posting nothing!! (above)
Anyway, having bought a 675LT new in 2017 and tracked it many times, I can report that I just had the overheating when blasting around Monza (see my channel on youtube markrumble47) The car needed replacement thermostats and that is true of all 675LTs if they haven't been driven hard or tracked hard, the fault won't be apparent, and the car still has the original thermostats. In my case Mike Flewitt arranged for me to drive a different car, and mine was fine on the long drive back to UK, it was just overheating on extreme driving. At Monza that day, Bruno Senna had his 675LT and that car had no such issue, so probably it was only the coupe version affected?

Registered
they do not. Those are heater elements. They are used to bringup temp faster. They are not reaponsible for water temp readings.

there are 3 sensors responsible. One on each main water pipe, and one in the cylinder head for head temp.

Can you post your exact symptoms and error codes pls thanks

note that if the water pump seal has failed, you will get gearbox and clutch overheat messages and all kinds of things pop up related to temperature
Just to follow up and I'll refrain from further comment after this so as to not further derail the thread...

I spoke with Sean from McMedics and he gave me some good guidance and the dealership agreed to eat the cost of the new engine coolant sensor.

This thing started as a transmission fault. It went into limp mode so I sent it to the dealer. The dealer couldn't replicate the issue, but noticed some fault codes in the ecm related to the coolant temp. They decided the thermostats needed to be replaced, charged me the $3,600 for the work and brought the car back to me. FIrst time I drove it, I get a CEL. I send it back and they say now it's the engine coolant sensor. At that point I ascertained that they were just throwing parts at this instead of diagnosing and decided to look around the interwebz for some guidance. Sean pointed out to me that when the ECS starts to go bad, it can frequently cause shifting issues. Using that logic, I argued with the dealer that the ECS should have been replaced before the thermostats. The dealer agreed and is covering the cost.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts