McLaren Life banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My favourite car in the snow many years ago, was a mini that I bought new in 1970 after I sold my first elan, which was too expensive to run as a medical student, even though I was sponsored by the RAF. I was then in Scotland and with snow tyres on the front; the car would cut through snow and ice almost as though it wasn't there. Today I was out in the 12c, when there was suddenly something of a blizzard, the road entirely covered in hard snow within 5 minutes. Having not encountered such conditions in it before, I took the opportunity to re-assess the handling. Several times around my favourite roundabout, I found the car either going straight on (or off), and the maximum speed to maintain the corner, was 12 mph. I had deliberately set traction and power-train to "track" and the car was all over the place with ease. Setting it to "winter" then proved that the electronics were far superior to any ability I had with the car on ice. It could maintain cornering at 18 or even 20 mph, and in a straight line would accelerate steadily with no risk. Put right foot hard to the floor and the car just stays in control. No real surprise. It simply confirmed the car's ability to get from A to B whatever the conditions. What was more unexpected was that putting the same right foot very hard on the brake with the car on continuous sheet ice did not produce the cutting in and out of the anti-lock brakes that happens on slippery tarmac. Instead the car just gradually slowed to a safe halt in a very smooth manner, with no judder whatsoever. If the snow is heavy this year, for fun, I recommend an old mini. Otherwise wait for the thaw. The 12c is brilliant fun now with its updates, but better without the snow.

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
did you try with everything turned off completely ? bet that would be just awesome .
is winter just for snow or slippery conditions in general ? ( im afraid i suffer from lack of book read itis )

·
Registered
8 Posts
snow

was this with dedicated winter tyres or the stock summer rubber?
peter

My favourite car in the snow many years ago, was a mini that I bought new in 1970 after I sold my first elan, which was too expensive to run as a medical student, even though I was sponsored by the RAF. I was then in Scotland and with snow tyres on the front; the car would cut through snow and ice almost as though it wasn't there. Today I was out in the 12c, when there was suddenly something of a blizzard, the road entirely covered in hard snow within 5 minutes. Having not encountered such conditions in it before, I took the opportunity to re-assess the handling. Several times around my favourite roundabout, I found the car either going straight on (or off), and the maximum speed to maintain the corner, was 12 mph. I had deliberately set traction and power-train to "track" and the car was all over the place with ease. Setting it to "winter" then proved that the electronics were far superior to any ability I had with the car on ice. It could maintain cornering at 18 or even 20 mph, and in a straight line would accelerate steadily with no risk. Put right foot hard to the floor and the car just stays in control. No real surprise. It simply confirmed the car's ability to get from A to B whatever the conditions. What was more unexpected was that putting the same right foot very hard on the brake with the car on continuous sheet ice did not produce the cutting in and out of the anti-lock brakes that happens on slippery tarmac. Instead the car just gradually slowed to a safe halt in a very smooth manner, with no judder whatsoever. If the snow is heavy this year, for fun, I recommend an old mini. Otherwise wait for the thaw. The 12c is brilliant fun now with its updates, but better without the snow.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doom - good idea, the snow has gone, but if and when we get more, it would be the best possible time to try "all off"!
No, I do not have winter tyres,, a set of winter tyres will need some cheap steel wheels fitted which I do not mind kerbing, so I can try rallying!! Only if we get lots of snow this winter would there be any point, as I no longer live in Scotland. Shall wait and see. They have forecast the worst winter in years, but I have little faith in weather forecasts, which seldom apply to this extreme east promontory.

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
Best time to learn a new car is in the wet or snow . Find car park and play away !
Then go to deserted round about , job done :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Oh.

Now I know.
Out here we thought the 'winter' setting reroutes power to give the AC a cold boost.

:p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts