McLaren Life banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my Cayenne Turbo in for its annual and my dealer lent me an almost new 991 Carrera S Cabriolet (hey, I have been good to him!) .

I wasn't expecting much, and I haven't had a 911 since my 996 GT3 (my daily driver back then), but I have to say, it was really nice. In manual/sport plus mode, it was very fun to drive. Downshifts, dare I say, sound better than the 12c. The overuns, while not as good sounding as an SLS, are more present than the 12c.

It also was very comfortable, not too low and upright position made for a what I would think would be a great daily driver. Lots of storage space. All for less than half the price of the 12c.

I love my 12c, but arugably, is it worth more than double?? Maybe super cars are just getting too pricey for their marginal return?

10+ years ago I had a stable of super cars. While racing for a number of years, I ended up selling all of them, and just drove the 996 GT3 as my daily driver. I maybe coming full circle here...

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I had my Cayenne Turbo in for its annual and my dealer lent me an almost new 991 Carrera S Cabriolet (hey, I have been good to him!) .

I wasn't expecting much, and I haven't had a 911 since my 996 GT3 (my daily driver back then), but I have to say, it was really nice. In manual/sport plus mode, it was very fun to drive. Downshifts, dare I say, sound better than the 12c. The overuns, while not as good sounding as an SLS, are more present than the 12c.

It also was very comfortable, not too low and upright position made for a what I would think would be a great daily driver. Lots of storage space. All for less than half the price of the 12c.

I love my 12c, but arugably, is it worth more than double?? Maybe super cars are just getting too pricey for their marginal return?

10+ years ago I had a stable of super cars. While racing for a number of years, I ended up selling all of them, and just drove the 996 GT3 as my daily driver. I maybe coming full circle here...
So from the sounds of it Goplay you should get rid of your Mac and buy a 991, and return to where you first started. Its sounds like a plan, hey on top of which you could join Hank Moody in Californication and compare notes. LMFAO?. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So from the sounds of it Goplay you should get rid of your Mac and buy a 991, and return to where you first started. Its sounds like a plan, hey on top of which you could join Hank Moody in Californication and compare notes. LMFAO?. Cheers.....??
Actually installing a sport exhaust (not yours! LMAO) and the MSO front bumper. So in reality doubling down on my Mac.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Actually installing a sport exhaust (not yours! LMAO) and the MSO front bumper. So in reality doubling down on my Mac.
Well I'm happy to hear that Goplay, for a moment there I thought you were a goner. As for my exhaust its already been sold, should be shipping out within the next week. Well enjoy your transforming Mac, and keep us posted on any new transformations that may occur. ??. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only wish I could get race seats (in matching leather of course :D)and a harness bar. Maybe something available soon...

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I only wish I could get race seats (in matching leather of course :D)and a harness bar. Maybe something available soon...
Well if there's a will there's a way, I was under the impression that Fabspeed had develop something to resolve the belt problem. As for the seats that should be an easy fix, I guess. Well good luck, and happy to hear that your not getting rid of the Mac. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
What is the steering like on the 991? Have heard quite a varied difference on opinion on the electric steering....

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is the steering like on the 991? Have heard quite a varied difference on opinion on the electric steering....
I thought it was pretty good, well weighted. Similar to a 12c. You just don't get the vibrations through the wheel that you do with traditional hydraulic systems.

Actually like it better than the current models of Ferrari's which feel too fast and not sufficiently weighted.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Ah right, interesting that you found it pretty good as I have been hearing quite a lot about a loss of feel compared to the 997.

Might get the chance to try the new Cayman this weekend so will see what the electric steering is like for myself at last!

thanks

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't driven a 997 so I don't really have anything to compare it to than perhaps, other electric steering systems.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I have a new Boxster S that I really enjoy - the PDK dual-clutch is hands down the best in the biz, in my opinion. And I've ordered a new 991 GT3. Porsche's are just so solidly built, reliable, FAST. Love 'em.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The new 991S is a very very nice sports car. I owned a 997 GT3, have driven a 997S and a 991S many times(close friends who own both). The air cooled porsche purists might not like it BUT the 991S is a giant leap ahead of the 997 and the 996. The interior is finally matches the $100K price tag. The steering is smoother than the 997 but it isn't artificial or overboosted like the California/F458. The noise inside the engine bay is more engine and less tire rumble(unlike the 997). The car is much more stable and less twitchy. Some might like that but some won't.

My main issues with the car were the size - it just looks so much bigger when next to a 997 yet it doesn't have more rear leg room. The other issue was that you can't see the engine bay AT ALL. All you see are 2 big fans. That means you won't be able to do an oil change on the car which I find kinda sad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts