McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 645 Posts

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

Following up some comments in recent threads here and a few PM's, I'm wondering if there would be interest in an organized 'Ring event/trip this summer ?

I'v spent quite some time there over the years and would be happy to help with all the local stuff like tickets, hotels, parking, technical support, restaurants etc.

Regarding the driving, there are actually two possibilities. Driving at the public sessions ('Touristenverkehr') where you simply pay per lap or booking a closed track day for a one-time fee. The public sessions are usually rather crowed so a track day would probably be a bit more relaxed, especially for the first timers.

Either way I would be gladly available to do guided laps for those that have never been to the 'Ring before or just want to learn the ideal line.

If there is enough interest, I might even get a local McLaren dealership on board for some extended technical support.

So what do you think ? Suggestions ? Ideas ? :)

Regards,
McDc

PS: Some more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordschleife

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Smitten
285 Posts
Certainly going by some of the crowded looking public day crash footage peppering Youtube, a closed/private session would be a lot more attractive. Not necessarily fussed about whole day access as I suspect my concentration (never mind tyres) wouldn't cope.

Ps. brilliant photo.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The private track days typically have 120 cars (I believe) to make it economic to rent the circuit. This could be a big ask to get that many cars. Alternative would be to get a group together on one of the organised track days - destination nurburgring, www.granturismo.org or similar.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are absolutely right. That was the plan, booking a group of slots for us on a track day. Renting the track just for us is close to impossible. You need to subscribe one year in advance, then you get offered bad dates as a first/one time organizer (like early march or late october) plus it costs a lot of money (around 25K-50K€ per day depending on the date).

120 cars sounds like a lot but the Nordschleife is very long (20km) so that is not problem.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Certainly going by some of the crowded looking public day crash footage peppering Youtube, a closed/private session would be a lot more attractive. Not necessarily fussed about whole day access as I suspect my concentration (never mind tyres) wouldn't cope.

Ps. brilliant photo.
and then just after that you get to dive into the carousel... saw some chap get spat out the otherside in a 996 gt3.. end of day, end of car...

·
Registered
964 Posts
Add my name to interested parties if you would be so kind.. :)

I'm not a regular visitor but visited a few times over the years, picked my days carefully (and times)
Last time (May 2012) we took an evening session and there was about 10 cars in total there! = result
Lovely dry evening and spent much of the day enjoying the local area, the roads surrounding the Ring are pretty awesome also! :cool:

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do have mixed feelings about the GrandTourismo Events. IMO the main issue is that there are race cars with slicks allowed to drive in between of street legal cars. This has led to all kind of problems in past.

You are free to join with any car you like. You can join with a racing car. You can drive with slick tires. But you still have to comply to the code of conduct - just like everyone else, regardless of what car you drive.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Please still count me in for a Summer event though!

I hear what you're saying about the race cars etc though I'm hoping the number of cars will mitigate that.

I've found in my limited experience of UK track days though (in a Caterham usually, not the 12C) that the standard of driving is much better and more accomodating on the ones with the more track oriented cars (Goldtrack usually where you see race cars, radicals galore etc etc) than the more road car based ones. In practice I think the most important factor though is the number of cars on the circuit and ensuring that there is room for everybody to find a piece of track. I'm a big fan of the 5 car days at Goodwood where you feel like you have the circuit to yourself.

1 - 20 of 645 Posts