McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

Is there a product list of all the options/parts/accessories showing: (1) their weights and (ideally) (2) the prices for the options?

For example, it would be great to see how much more the standard tires weigh over the super light weights. Or, how much the carbon fibre wheel arch weighs over the standard. Or, how much the carbon fiber air brake weights over the standard. And to know the prices differences.

Is such a magic list accessible?

The spec sheet (attached) shows a "Dry weight 2945lb" and a "Dry weight* 2868lb" (for the coupe) saving 77lbs. I assume this "*" shows the difference between the heaviest configuration and the lightest?

I'm wondering what parts contributes the most to weight savings. For example, reading through the forums, it sounds like going from standard rims to super lightweights saves a total of about 22lbs (not clear if this is per rim, or cumulatively--guessing its cumulative).

That leaves about 55lbs for all the other stuff... It would be interesting to know what parts offer the best bang per $ weight savings ratio...

Attachments

• 183 KB Views: 269
  • 67.2 KB Views: 228

·
Registered
862 Posts
Biggest bang per buck will come from skipping the electric seats? Most of the carbon stuff is more aesthetic rather than weight saving.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Biggest bang per buck will come from skipping the electric seats? Most of the carbon stuff is more aesthetic rather than weight saving.
Do you know how much the seats save? I wish it was more clear what is the difference between the seats. Is it just the heat. Is it the some/all of the positioning? Is it the memory? Is it all of the above?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Do you know how much the seats save? I wish it was more clear what is the difference between the seats. Is it just the heat. Is it the some/all of the positioning? Is it the memory? Is it all of the above?
I believe it is all of the above. Not sure what the exact weight difference is but we've debated this one a lot and I'm sure someone will step in with the answer when Europe starts to wake up.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I could never find out,but it is considerable,probably 30+kg.The passenger seat has nothing electrical,but the drivers seat does have electic height ajust,so having the track pack saves more weight on the seats,but you lose it with the cage.As Jerry says the CF is cosmectic,but the front and rear spliters save around 2,5kg.Other cf options add a little weight as they layered ontop of the original.:) The second best way to save weight are the wheels,which are several kg lighter for the super lightweights,also now we have found out the cf brakes are a few kg lighter.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could never find out,but it is considerable,probably 30+kg.The passenger seat has nothing electrical,but the drivers seat does have electic height ajust,so having the track pack saves more weight on the seats,but you lose it with the cage.As Jerry says the CF is cosmectic,but the front and rear spliters save around 2,5kg.Other cf options add a little weight as they layered ontop of the original.:) The second best way to save weight are the wheels,which are several kg lighter for the super lightweights,also now we have found out the cf brakes are a few kg lighter.
Wow, so seats 66lbs. Rims, 22lbs. That's 88lbs. Something is adding up wrong, at least bases on the spec sheet. The delta on the spec sheet is only a total of 77lbs. Yet it seems we might have around 100+lbs total savings from some of the items you mention.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Wow, so seats 66lbs. Rims, 22lbs. That's 88lbs. Something is adding up wrong, at least bases on the spec sheet. The delta on the spec sheet is only a total of 77lbs. Yet it seems we might have around 100+lbs total savings from some of the items you mention.
As I say,i did try to find out so most of it is acquired info not actual.But 90% of the possible weight savings are seats and wheels,everything else might only add up to +/- 5kg imo,nothing that would make a performance difference, running1/2 a tank of gas would save more at no cost.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As I say,i did try to find out so most of it is acquired info not actual.But 90% of the possible weight savings are seats and wheels,everything else might only add up to +/- 5kg imo,nothing that would make a performance difference, running1/2 a tank of gas would save more at no cost.
Sorry, didn't mean to be ungrateful. Thanks, that's super helpful Andy!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Just found an old e-mail from when I was first thinking about the car and asking questions .....

"Glad to answer your questions, please find answers as follows:
1, The carbon options that are cosmetic are, interior, engine bay beautification, sill panels, wheel arch. The diffuser in carbon will save approx 0.4kg so really more a cosmetic option.
3, The light weight wheel is 7kg lighter per car set than the standard wheel, the ultra light weight wheel is 10 kg lighter per car set than the standard wheel.

Another option to consider for weight saving is the sports exhaust, its approx 5kg lighter than the standard exhaust."

I believe they redesigned the standard exhaust after thus e-mail exchange so that bit is no longer true.

·
Registered
42 Posts
As Andy C noted, some of the Carbon options do not really save any weight, although I am not sure about the comment about them adding weight as a result of being layered over the existing part. I had heard this from my dealer as well in relation to the seat backs, but this does not appear to be the case in reality as it seems to be a single CF part which replaces, rather than sitting over the top of, the standard seat back - so it may save a little weight, albeit probably not that much.

The sill panels do, however, sit on top of the basic trim and must add a little bit of weight.

Almost all of the other carbon parts are components which directly replace the standard parts and should save a little weight - i.e. mirror housings, diffuser, splitter, turning vanes, front wheel arches, engine bay side panels etc. I have inspected mine very carefully and all these parts are all complete CF replacement items with no standard part being retained in conjunction.

The rumour that a number of the CF parts were trim items fitted over a standard part seems to have been cirulated by several of the UK dealers for some reason, but it is not the case in reality.

The Sports Exhaust option on the Coupe saves 2.4Kg in weight (I have physically weighed both).

Hope some of this helps in your decision making process.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
As Andy C noted, some of the Carbon options do not really save any weight, although I am not sure about the comment about them adding weight as a result of being layered over the existing part. I had heard this from my dealer as well in relation to the seat backs, but this does not appear to be the case in reality as it seems to be a single CF part which replaces, rather than sitting over the top of, the standard seat back - so it may save a little weight, albeit probably not that much.

The sill panels do, however, sit on top of the basic trim and must add a little bit of weight.

Almost all of the other carbon parts are components which directly replace the standard parts and should save a little weight - i.e. mirror housings, diffuser, splitter, turning vanes, front wheel arches, engine bay side panels etc. I have inspected mine very carefully and all these parts are all complete CF replacement items with no standard part being retained in conjunction.

The rumour that a number of the CF parts were trim items fitted over a standard part seems to have been cirulated by several of the UK dealers for some reason, but it is not the case in reality.

The Sports Exhaust option on the Coupe saves 2.4Kg in weight (I have physically weighed both).

Well I'm happy to here that Duncati, unfortunately the original information that was provided swayed me from ordering the CF seat backs. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
289 Posts
From an earlier thread:
http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/m...on-ceramics-vs-standard-cast-iron-brakes.html

Rear Brakes: Both options utilizes the 4 pot calipers, so only the rotors differ. Other visible hardware changes include a new slightly larger bracket for the rear parking brake and the carbon air duct. This results approximately 2.2kg (4.84lbs) of weight savings per corner.;)

Front Brakes: The Carbon Ceramic brake system utilizes the heftier 6 pot calipers, larger pads and the carbon air duct. Please note that the weight of the front 4 calipers in the picture taken includes the steel braided brake lines, bolt, caliper pins x 2 and pad spring (hidden from sight). This results about approximately 0.6kg (1.32lb) of weight savings per corner.;)
Total savings of Carbon Ceramic Brake over the Standard Cast Iron Brake system is about 5.6kg of unsprung weight.:cool:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Did you do the comparison with your Optional Inconel Sports Exhaust with valves or without valves?

I understand the Sports exhaust in the later 2012 cars came equipped without valves.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Thanks, that's great. Is there a price list around for the options.

Also, is the carbon air brake more cosmetic or does it save any weight?

Thanks again!

·
Owner
277 Posts
I doubt the power seat is 66 lbs think about it just look under the seats at the motor and gears that like 12% of the weight of the engine

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm, just going by previous statements of the 30kg. It's a shame there is no list. The dealers clearly have this information somewhere...

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Just found an old e-mail from when I was first thinking about the car and asking questions .....

"Glad to answer your questions, please find answers as follows:
1, The carbon options that are cosmetic are, interior, engine bay beautification, sill panels, wheel arch. The diffuser in carbon will save approx 0.4kg so really more a cosmetic option.
3, The light weight wheel is 7kg lighter per car set than the standard wheel, the ultra light weight wheel is 10 kg lighter per car set than the standard wheel.

Another option to consider for weight saving is the sports exhaust, its approx 5kg lighter than the standard exhaust."

I believe they redesigned the standard exhaust after thus e-mail exchange so that bit is no longer true.
Don't forget there is also the 'ultra lightweight' wheel on the 50th anniversary edition, which is supposedly lightest of all.

Does anybody know if diamond cut finish adds or removes weight? I notice they have some gloss or lacquer finish layer that standard stealth do not. Also is a standard alloy finish wheel (i.e. silver) lighter than stealth finish?

·
Owner
893 Posts
A quick visit to the Men's Bathroom could also dump 5 pounds. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts