McLaren Life banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yes my Mac is one year old. Seems like it arrived yesterday

I was wondering, ' What is it that makes this car special ?'

After one year and 9000 miles I still find it an 'event' to jump in ( sorry, lever myself in) and drive - be it across sinewy country roads, in traffic jambs or on motorways..

My conclusion is that , as a driver, you engage with it and are respectful of it's hidden performance so it has your attention and this is therefore involving.

On the other hand it is ballistically fast, sticks to the road in corners like velcro and is something I never tire of looking at or touching and that all helps.

But this car has something more than performance numbers, track speed and all that.

It is rewarding to drive it well. It is fun to drive?

Any views?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Fun is an emotive word, being scared feckless on a rollercoaster is described fun by some people :eek: whilst others seem to enjoy 50 shades......:rolleyes:

In my terms, it brings a smile to mine (and other road users faces) and when batting on it scares me a little :eek: whilst at the same time exciting me visually through the screen and certainly aurally when at the same time safely getting me to my destination and back - which is my idea of fun- so Yes

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that's a good summary. Smiles as well as fun.

You do take the long way round in this car and that says a lot.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
It is definitely fun and also one thing that I hadn't counted on is it makes me feel great. I think it's also fun cos you know the limits are only likely reached on a track... So more fun to be had on roads cos you're 'safe' !

·
Registered
964 Posts
You do take the long way round in this car and that says a lot.
Exactly, I'm at a Prodrive factory visit this weekend and just sorting my route.. M42 > M40 or Fosseway and through the Cotswolds taking an extra 15 minutes to get there.... easy choice :D

Shame the weather is supposed to break tomorrow! :(

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
RIC, ditto; I've had mine for one year and 9000 miles too. One race, three track days, and one top speed event, loads of fun. The best part of this car is to be able to do all of the above yet drive to and from the track in total silence and comfort. After our three days at COTA I started toying with the idea of getting some track day wheels with sticky tires, but that sort of diminishes the experience of having such a fantastic all-round vehicle.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree with the above posters. It's a fantastic all-round car.

We have had ours for about a year too, and i dont have anything to complain about after several track-days at the Nürburgring.

well the fuel consumption at the ring is not that great!
It's really fun to drive! whereever you go!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts