McLaren Life banner

321 - 340 of 357 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
You're correct, there doesn't seem to be any damage to anything other than the housing. I would definitely only put one screw back in cuz I'm sure that's all that's needed. The clips were a big surprise though! There is almost no way to get something in there to release them and prying is always scary! ($1300.00 part and all)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Quite interesting there was 2 screws in that one. I too haven't heard of more than 1 in it. You must have had a new guy on a Wednesday build yours.
LOL. That’s funny. I remember when I bought my new Transam back in the 80s. They told me not to get one built in a Monday or Friday. I special ordered I from the factory and it must have been built on a Friday 😜. Lots of stories on that car. Loved it but I replaced every part on it at least once before it hit 70K miles.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I agree, the new guy at the factory trying to do a good job (on a Wednesday)!
One other note. I have only worked with 12Cs like mine. You have a 650S, correct? Maybe they used both screws on the 650s and just the one on the 12Cs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good point Dan. I'm still sticking with the "new guy" theory since there was one screw driver's side and two on the passenger side...who knows! Bottom line is that I now have displays that I can see! Thanks again

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good point Dan. I'm still sticking with the "new guy" theory since there was one screw driver's side and two on the passenger side...who knows! Bottom line is that I now have displays that I can see! Thanks again

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm glad it all worked out well in the end. It is nice to actually be able to see what your temp and fans are set at. I remember plugging in mine for the first time and thinking, wow, so that's what it's suppose to look like... cool.

Dano

·
Registered
276 Posts
You're correct, there doesn't seem to be any damage to anything other than the housing. I would definitely only put one screw back in cuz I'm sure that's all that's needed. The clips were a big surprise though! There is almost no way to get something in there to release them and prying is always scary! ($1300.00 part and all)
I didn't have to pry mine at all, just pull up and popped right out.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I didn't have to pry mine at all, just pull up and popped right out.
My assemblies popped out fairly easy too. However, when we did two other installs at my house the other week, one of the assemblies in one12Cs seemed to be really hard to remove. Almost like there was another screw holding it in. It turns out there wasn't a second screw but it took some work to get it out. The clips holding the assembly after the screw is removed can be quite tight. Bottom line, check for a second screw securing the assembly just to be sure, and never force it. Most will come out easily but others may be slightly more difficult. Take your time, and push from inside the door, underneath the assembly, if necessary.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Dan,

Turns out I couldn't wait for the weekend (as per my PM) and replaced my screen this morning. The procedure was exactly as described and dead simple... and the new screen work perfectly :cool:.

Just one screw each side on my car (2012, 12C). Both control modules were pretty tight in their door cards and needed a very firm push from beneath to "break" them free. The front 2 spring clips on both modules pinged off and fell into the bottom of the door cards but were easy to retrieve and re-install to the control modules.Other than that it couldn't have been easier.

Thanks again for your skill, effort and persistance and thank you to EMF Audio for the video tutorial (y)

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi Dan,

Turns out I couldn't wait for the weekend (as per my PM) and replaced my screen this morning. The procedure was exactly as described and dead simple... and the new screen work perfectly :cool:.

Just one screw each side on my car (2012, 12C). Both control modules were pretty tight in their door cards and needed a very firm push from beneath to "break" them free. The front 2 spring clips on both modules pinged off and fell into the bottom of the door cards but were easy to retrieve and re-install to the control modules.Other than that it couldn't have been easier.

Thanks again for your skill, effort and persistance and thank you to EMF Audio for the video tutorial (y)

Cheers

Mark
Glad everything went so smoothly for you Mark. These OLEDs are pretty easy to replace and do make a world of difference when they are finally working again. I’m glad I could be of help. That’s the whole purpose of forums like these. To help out fellow owners. All of the McLaren owners I’ve met so far are very cool people and real car enthusiasts that love these cars like we do. Great group of owners on this site. 👍🏻

·
Registered
2 Posts
I should have the final design finished in two weeks and then I am going to run these in my 12C and test them out for a few weeks while we get the small production run going.

The OLED manufacturer is giving me a 10+ week lead time for these as they are a custom build per each order. They say they might be able to expedite faster if I place an order now (I'm pushing for 4-6 weeks or better), however I don't have a firm idea on how many of these I will need. For those of you who are interested in these OLED modules, can you send me a PM and let me know who is interested and how many you will need. The cost will be $250 each shipped in the US. I can ship them overseas but the shipping may add a little bit to the cost, I haven't looked in to that yet. I'm not looking for order commitments, just a general idea of the level of interest in this OLED module. That way I can start an order for the OLEDs right now and not come up short as the lead time is really not all that great at the moment. I may have an expedite work around for the first 30 modules which I can probably do in three weeks and maybe that is enough but after that we are at the mercy of the OLED manufacturer to deliver the update OLED screens.
Hi Dano can i order two pieces. Shipping to germany

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sure thing. I still have some left from the second batch we ran :)
Hi Dano,
I just got my 12C last week, and joined the forum for exactly this reason - can you let me know the cost inc. shipping to the UK for a pair of screens and how i would go about ordering/[aying for these?

Totally amazed by the work you've done - fantastic job!

Many thanks,

Jordan.

·
Registered
276 Posts
321 - 340 of 357 Posts