McLaren Life banner

301 - 320 of 363 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Now that we have a great solution for the climate control screens thanks to Dano and EMF Audio’s how-to-video, maybe someone can tackle the crappy headlamp problem on the 12C and post a DIY video. That’s probably the most complained about issue on the 12C. 😁

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Dano,

I received my screens today and I was heartbroken when the box was damaged. Before my delight of opening the box, I made sure to snap my photos of the damaged box. With fingers and toes crossed, I opened the box to discover that the dent in the USPS box was between the 2 individually well packaged screens. Phew!

I headed over to my storage facility and with the help of your video and a trip to advance auto for the recommended tools, I (a non tech/mechanic/talented) set off on my journey to become a McLaren HVAC tech.

To my delight after an hour of effort, I have 2 perfectly functioning HVAC screens for the first time since I took ownership of the vehicle. I laughed at the ridiculous placement of the screw that holds the control units to the door frame and that was probably 20 min of the 60 min total project time.

Anyone who has burnt out or faded screens that does not buy these screens is a fool or immune to temperature requirements of not only a driver, but a passenger haha.

Any time you are in Buffalo, NY, you have an open tab at any bar in town from me as your dedication to this solution is unmatched and if you arent up for a beer, please put me in contact with your local town so I can throw you a parade or get a day named after you!

Thanks again!
LOL. I don’t know out the parade, but I most certainly would take you up on that beer if I’m ever in Buffalo. 👍🏻 I am very pleased that you are happy with the new OLEDs. Thank you for the nice feedback.

The modules are so much smaller than the USPS shipping box even though that is the smallest priority box they offer. I purposely placed the modules at each end of the box where the box was strongest and then filled in the middle with bubble wrap. Now I am putting the OLEDs in small boxes within the box just to be extra sure.

I remember the smile on my face when I plugged my working prototypes into my own 12C and for the first time since I bought my 12C I could actually see what the hell the AC was really doing. It does make a big difference! And they do look great in the doors when they are actually working.

Dano

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Now that we have a great solution for the climate control screens thanks to Dano and EMF Audio’s how-to-video, maybe someone can tackle the crappy headlamp problem on the 12C and post a DIY video. That’s probably the most complained about issue on the 12C. 😁
If your talking about the mold inside the headlights, mine now has that too! I’m looking into an idea that I had on that one. It’s kind of a long shot but if it works it would be really cool, and a quick and easy solution.

·
Registered
70 Posts
All hail Dano !!!!
Easy fit, awesome look.
I am super happy with this Dano, and thank you so much for hanging in there through the trials and tribulations of this project.
The old ones literally popped out without taking the back section apart ( both doors) done in 40 mins flat.
Brilliant and thank you again : )

Regards
Jim

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
All hail Dano !!!!
Easy fit, awesome look.
I am super happy with this Dano, and thank you so much for hanging in there through the trials and tribulations of this project.
The old ones literally popped out without taking the back section apart ( both doors) done in 40 mins flat.
Brilliant and thank you again : )

Regards
Jim
Awesome job. Thanks Jim. I’m very glad everybody is installing these themselves. It might seem intimidating for some at first but it really is a very straight forward install. Plus you then have the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself and could do it again if necessary. So if you replace the drivers side, you’re not going to worry about the passenger side going out any more as you know you can take care of it if need be. We got this issue covered! So what’s next??? 😁

·
Registered
122 Posts
If your talking about the mold inside the headlights, mine now has that too! I’m looking into an idea that I had on that one. It’s kind of a long shot but if it works it would be really cool, and a quick and easy solution.
Yeah, some people have what looks like a white mold while mine looks like it's a cloudy haze. I'm excited to see what kind of solution you come up with. Hopefully, it doesn't involve taking apart the entire bumper and opening up the headlamp assembly.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Yeah, some people have what looks like a white mold while mine looks like it's a cloudy haze. I'm excited to see what kind of solution you come up with. Hopefully, it doesn't involve taking apart the entire bumper and opening up the headlamp assembly.
No. My idea takes about 1 minute and requires no disassembly. I’m far from certain that it will work but it would be way cool if it does. I need to do some R&D on my own 12C since my headlights have it too. I’ll let you know how it goes. 👍🏻

·
Twelve C
147 Posts
Dano, Thank you !
From an other VERY happy customer, installation was a breeze (20 mins each side)
And they work as they should, clear and bright !!
You're 'da man !
Thanks, again....

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi Dano,

I think you may have started a cottage industry. I just got off the phone with James Laporte, Service Manager at McChicago , he asked where I got them😉

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Hi Dano,

I think you may have started a cottage industry. I just got off the phone with James Laporte, Service Manager at McChicago , he asked where I got them😉
I’ll give him a shout as I’ll be in chicago on Wednesday. 👍My home town!👍🏻👍🏻

·
Registered
348 Posts
I’ll give him a shout as I’ll be in chicago on Wednesday. 👍My home town!👍🏻👍🏻
That's right, you are coming home! I wouild have loved to run up to Crystal Lake to meet you in person, but I leave for Florida Wednesday night and won't be back until next Wednesday.

Maybe next time👍

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Dan,
I just sent you a PM (I think) about getting a couple of your displays. Hopefully you got it. I normally don't do forums so I'm unfamiliar with how it all works. I'm really impresses with your diligence with the R n D on this project! Many thanks!

·
Registered
323 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I found that it was much harder to get the screws out then it was to do the display exchange. As everybody else said. The one surprise I had was that the display unit does not just pull out. There are clips that hold it in which are not very easy to get loose. See pics. Also I found that on the passenger side Not only was there one screw holding it in there were two screws! I inadvertently pryed a little bit too hard on it and broke it. Now I'm looking at using some epoxy to put it back together and hopefully the unit is still fine. it looks like it is. Still an easy swap though.
20190724_171749.jpg
20190724_171841.jpg
20190724_171924.jpg
20190724_172009.jpg

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I found that it was much harder to get the screws out then it was to do the display exchange. As everybody else said. The one surprise I had was that the display unit does not just pull out. There are clips that hold it in which are not very easy to get loose. See pics. Also I found that on the passenger side Not only was there one screw holding it in there were two screws! I inadvertently pryed a little bit too hard on it and broke it. Now I'm looking at using some epoxy to put it back together and hopefully the unit is still fine. it looks like it is. Still an easy swap though. View attachment 195168 View attachment 195169 View attachment 195170 View attachment 195171
Two screws??? I’ve never seen or heard of that before. Sorry to hear that but thank you for sharing that so others can double check their assembly for a second screw before removing it from the door. In my opinion, from what I have seen you really only need one screw to hold it in place. That’s how all of the other assemblies work. I do not think you need to put both screws back in or frankly even repair the broken piece. As long as you can put it back in the door and secure it with one screw, it should be just fine. It doesn’t look like the pcb was damaged in any way so I think you are ok here. I would epoxy or glue it back in place so it looks like it should, but I wouldn’t put the screw back in on that side. Just screw in the good side and that should be it. Keep us posted on how it turns out.

301 - 320 of 363 Posts