Discussion Starter #1
OLED Climate Control Replacement Walkthrough

Tools Needed:
T-30 Torx bit
T-10 Torx bit
3/8" Rachet
Dental pick
Fingernails or plastic mini prybar

Order part# 11M3219CP (one for each side) from McLaren. I paid $85 each.

1. Pop the speaker grill straight out with your fingernails or plastic mini prybar.

2. Locate and remove the one and only torx screw holding in the panel from underneath. It is a T-30 torx screw.

3. Push up from the inside to pop out the climate control module. If you loose one of the clips, it may have fallen near the speaker. Locate and reinstall any missing clips. Disconnect the wiring harness, it has a thumb clip on one side, so don't just pull on it.

4. Remove the four T-10 torx screws to pop off the carbon fiber or aluminum/plastic fascia.

5. Using a dental pick, pop off the black retainer covering the OLED.

6. Using a dental pick, pry at each of the four corners of OLED screen a little at a time. Concentrate on the left side of the screen where the connector is underneath.

7. Install replacement screen by using a small tool or the T-10 torx bit to lightly press on the corners of the green circuit board. DO NOT push on the OLED screen. Once connected, remove the plastic OLED protective material and reinstall the OLED cover and fascia. Reinstall the four screws.

8. Slightly bend the four silver retainer clips out just a tad. Reinstall the wiring harness and test the operation before putting everything back into place.

9. Enjoy your bright screen!

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is this a new part w/ a brighter screen or the same part as the original installed OEM? Also, I heard the latest update brightens up the screen, is that true?

·
Owner
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is this a new part w/ a brighter screen or the same part as the original installed OEM? Also, I heard the latest update brightens up the screen, is that true?
This is a new OLED screen that is brighter and is not supposed to go dim. The new design is brighter than a new original. There is no software fix for this, it's a hardware issue. The old screen will eventually have no backlight at all like you see in my first pic. That screen is actually on and lit up in the "before" pic.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,444 Posts
Is this a warranty replacement? It seems as though it should be covered?
Yes, but not all cars are still under warranty. If your's are dim be sure to get on the list for replacement with your dealer as other threads have talked about a back order glut on getting these parts to the dealers.

-Jamie.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes, but not all cars are still under warranty. If your's are dim be sure to get on the list for replacement with your dealer as other threads have talked about a back order glut on getting these parts to the dealers.

-Jamie.
Gotcha, thanks, looks like they are not in stock but will order.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Awesome how-to, thanks for posting. I must say I'm surprised that the part is only $85 per side, didn't expect that.

As a side note, it's really cool how the speakers are mounted/designed so that the smaller driver (as close as we get to a tweeter) is aimed towards the head of the driver/passenger, instead of just being mounted flat. I noticed that when I bought a pair of spare speakers from another forum member, and it's visible in one of your pics.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Yep well done Excelsior and thanks for the post. :)

My car is out of manufacturers warranty and not sure if extended one will cover this. :(

Mods - any chance of making this a sticky or similar for future reference, as many an owner will need this "how to" for many years to come

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
has any one posted a picture of what the Original LED Screen looks like so forum members can see the difference before and after

·
VIN:15XX
985 Posts
Fantastic job Excelsior! I'm glad you live near me and, please don't take this the wrong way, but if anyone's Gbox is going to fail, I'm now sure that it would be a good thing for us all if it were yours! :)

·
Owner
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Your welcome guys.

Fantastic job Excelsior! I'm glad you live near me and, please don't take this the wrong way, but if anyone's Gbox is going to fail, I'm now sure that it would be a good thing for us all if it were yours! :)
Thanks, but what makes you think I would have the balls to tackle the gearbox?... :laugh:
...here's an unrelated, random shot of my GT-R transaxle in my garage this past summer...
Besides, the McLaren better not break down this winter because I'm too busy working on the Viper right now... :D

Attachments

·
Owner
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I also want to make a note that if you have a later 12C, there is a possibility that you already have the latest updated screen if your "LO" and "HI" settings look this vibrant. Mine never looked even close to this even when they were bright. I have seen pics of some 2014's that looked this vibrant, so I assume they were either replaced or came with the new style.

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
I just called my parts supplier here in the US and a dealer and Asia. Both of them are saying that this LED display part number is NLA. You would need to buy the entire assembly again. That sucks!!! I did already for my driver side and now I need for the passenger. Sucks you need to buy the whole assembly when the only thing not working is the LED display. I refuse. Argh!

1 - 20 of 357 Posts