McLaren Life banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts
I note the original MD, is taking his dismissal to court, Shame very smart guy, had a great 40 mins on 1 to one with him last year. Another cataclysmic error like letting LH go....Whilst they build great cars, they get some things sooooooooo wrong IMHO.

can not help but feel this lot is being run by the bean counters

I note the original MD, is taking his dismissal to court, Shame very smart guy, had a great 40 mins on 1 to one with him last year. Another cataclysmic error like letting LH go....Whilst they build great cars, they get some things sooooooooo wrong IMHO.

can not help but feel this lot is being run by the bean counters
Engineers I think

It's not spin it's fact
I am sure they initially thought they would sell a certain number in Europe
They haven't, which we all agree
Now they are moving that excess supply to the u.s where there is excess demand..
Looks pretty logical to me and equally consistent.
Incidentally the dealers know nothing it seems about overall numbers.
The factory itself does appear to know what's going on.. Funny that

On paper, the current Mp4 will do just fine against the Speciale,
All McLaren need to do is quit jerking us around on available performance tires, and make it so adding them does not void any warranty.

I think if they do it NV it will be for a handful of cars.. Materially it won't make much difference as the u.s already had a good number of cars. I don't believe they will fill the excess demand they have over there as Middle East and Far East appear to be where the real market expansion is taking place..

I wonder if there will be any trickle down from the development of the p1 tyres ?
I don't believe it for 1 bit that tire companies develop tires for 1 car. You really think the P-zeros that come standard on the 12C are unique? ;)

Veyron ok, but non supercars?

I don't believe it for 1 bit that tire companies develop tires for 1 car. You really think the P-zeros that come standard on the 12C are unique? ;)

Veyron ok, but non supercars?
I think there's a decent chance if I were honest. There's been statement here that that is the case but I couldn't say I know either way? Perhaps there's a range of parameters they can ask for? Anyway speculation on my behalf.

The yoki advan sports for the Bentley conti gt, with steel belted sidewalls come to mind.
Bentley in general, they are so heavy that you must use the Bentley spec tire that is rated for the extra load (Michelin does make extra load tires that have about another 1000+ pounds of capacity). Vipers have a PS2 spec, Porsche has one, I have no doubt the compound, load ratings, etc. are different with the mfg "spec" tires - Audi & Mercedes seems to have a spec tire for each car they make :eek:.

After all it's in the tire company's best interest, especially when mfgs like McLaren void warranties as a result. Let's face it - ~2000 cars in 2 years, that's 4000 of each tire, minimum & a guarantee (by warranty) that you will have repeat business.

It may all be smoke and mirrors (advertising scare tactics) but the compounds are different to account for the power bias and handling characteristics a mfg wants for their car - so has been the explanations I have received consistently from different sources. Example - if a car is prone to under steer, then the mfg may spec a slightly softer compound for the front to compensate to make the handling more neutral.

you say that the middle east and far east, is were the real market expansion is taking place........respectfully this is not correct. IMHO..even Ferrari has seen a down turn along with Lamborghini in this area. If there is such an expansion....then why are they feeding more cars in to the US market, thus diluting existing owners......The question is for me every one that wants a P1 will have ordered one by now.....So how do they sell the unsold cars.

you say that the middle east and far east, is were the real market expansion is taking place........respectfully this is not correct. IMHO..even Ferrari has seen a down turn along with Lamborghini in this area. If there is such an expansion....then why are they feeding more cars in to the US market, thus diluting existing owners......The question is for me every one that wants a P1 will have ordered one by now.....So how do they sell the unsold cars.
Last time on this
They would have allocated cars to the regions as they thought would have been correct.. They have sold allocations in some areas but not others.. They are now reallocating to where they have demand left over away from where there is insufficient demand.. This is not done at a sales level.
Whether you believe certain markets are strong or not is neither here nor there... As you have stated before they will sell where someone wants one..

41 - 60 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.