McLaren Life banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got an empty oil container showing the oil specs from the dealership.

Does anyone know the number of quarts required for an oil change?

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Got an empty oil container showing the oil specs from the dealership.

Does anyone know the number of quarts required for an oil change?
I just did an oil change, dropped tank, crankcase and both turbo drain and opened filter housing to drain that as well. Engine was hot and I collected every drop. Measured out to 7.25L of oil. Dont skip the oil drains from the turbos that area of the crankcase holds a fair amount of oil. Fresh filled Motul 300V, Mobil 1 is not going into any of my cars ever.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I just did an oil change, dropped tank, crankcase and both turbo drain and opened filter housing to drain that as well. Engine was hot and I collected every drop. Measured out to 7.25L of oil. Dont skip the oil drains from the turbos that area of the crankcase holds a fair amount of oil. Fresh filled Motul 300V, Mobil 1 is not going into any of my cars ever.
Should I ask why no Mobil1?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just my opinion, do some googling about M1, look up blackstone results. Tons of terrible stories, oil is heavily push via manufacturers which they pay a ton for I am sure. M1 is junk IMO. Cost me double to put in 300V more then worth it for a true ester based synth group V oil. Plus is smells awesome...lol

·
Owner
602 Posts
I've been using Mobil 1 in everything for decades and have never had an issue... ever.

Reactions: RBH

·
Registered
80 Posts
While he’s not wrong that in general Mobil 1 in the oil world is like McDonalds in the food world. It works. But there’s better.

However, Mobil 1 0w-40 European formula which our car recommends is actually one of the good formulations using group 3/4 base. It’s only fault is it shears to a 30W quite quick because it’s barely even a 40W to begin with.

Also, 300V is not recommended for street use or long term storage, it lacks the detergents and TBN level to be effective for a street car that sees any kind of short trips or frequent stop and go.

For a dedicated track car, yes 300V is great. But not for 90% of McLaren owners who daily/spirited drive them more than they track them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
645 Posts
Anybody use Red Line full synthetic?
I have it in my Lamborghini and Ferrari but my mclaren has dealer services oil(Mobil one)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Red line is good too. But if it helps, Amsoil invented synthetic oil
Literally that means nothing.

Benz invented the first gasoline car, but here we are...

Edit: Not knocking Amsoil. That’s good shit too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well, last time I checked they keep winning F1.... lol lol anyhow Amsoil has always been regarded as the best oil by most mechanics. Even on independent tests they always outperform everyone else

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well, last time I checked they keep winning F1.... lol lol anyhow Amsoil has always been regarded as the best oil by most mechanics. Even on independent tests they always outperform everyone else
Before Mercedes were winning F1, it was Renault. did you swap all your cars to Renault’s? Didn’t think so

While I reiterate Amsoil is a great product, just not necessarily the best.

I guess my point is, to each their own, but stop spreading misinformation. Just because someone invented it, does not mean currently they have the best version of that product available.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts