McLaren Life banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
McLaren Convert
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here heard of an issue that has popped up regarding an oil leak that develops on 12Cs that are not driven over a period of time? Something about oil seals contracting when the car is left idle for a few weeks, allowing a leak to occur. I've heard non owners mention this through the rumor mill, but don't have any first hand knowledge of this.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Anything is possible,but a rumour is a rumour,and as this place has more owners than anywhere else on the planet you would think it would have been discussed here first if such a thing happens ?? Yes there have been some gearbox leaks and one coolant leak from what I remember,but it seems a bit strange that people other than owners have this information !! :)
I cannot count how many times I've had such a thing happen on a Porsche,so maybe there is some truth in it,could have been started by a well known member here who wants to deflect the issue !!!

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Personally thinks it rubbish.. My car goes through times of hard use followed by times of sitting around so mine would be susceptible I suspect,,, have never had an oil leak, nor indeed does the system use much oil.. Recent 1500 mile trip including 360 on track used precisely zero oil

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Personally thinks it rubbish.. My car goes through times of hard use followed by times of sitting around so mine would be susceptible I suspect,,, have never had an oil leak, nor indeed does the system use much oil.. Recent 1500 mile trip including 360 on track used precisely zero oil
I concour,when you checked it ,it was zero point nought,and was impressed by the steady foot you have :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had an oil leak on my car on delivery. it was a brand new 2012 delivered in april 2013. it left oil patches of about 5 square inches on the floor when the car sat for more than an hour. apparently it was a some kind on seal i cant remember which one. hasnt happened since and was dealt with immediately. i told by the dealer that its happened before and it was related to new cars sitting idle.
cheers

·
Registered
310 Posts
Mine's Dec 2011 was purchased by me from the first owner about four weeks ago with 125 miles on the clock (Collector). No sign of leaks, although now I'll keep a close watch ;-)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just had an oil leak from the gearbox, sent it to the dealer for servicing, car did not sit for idle as I have been driving it weekly. Will update you as to the problem once I hear from my dealer.

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
I've seen oil leaks more on dry sump engines from sitting (Ford GTs) - usually a loose/weak clamp (especially the spring clamps). The Renault transaxle in the Lotus Esprit had problematic axel shaft seals that would weep over long periods of rest. Anything is possible - nothing on the Mac yet.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Anything is possible,but a rumour is a rumour,and as this place has more owners than anywhere else on the planet you would think it would have been discussed here first if such a thing happens ?? Yes there have been some gearbox leaks and one coolant leak from what I remember,but it seems a bit strange that people other than owners have this information !! :)
I cannot count how many times I've had such a thing happen on a Porsche,so maybe there is some truth in it,could have been started by a well known member here who wants to deflect the issue !!!
Don't look my way. I haven't posted a thing on leaks:p

·
Registered
104 Posts
dealer just informed me, bad gearbox.tranny...they are going to replace...oh and the leak was also causing the airbrake failure message as well...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts