McLaren Life banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2019 just had first service and shortly after I noticed several drops of oil on the ground, in the garage. Based of where they are it seems as if its from the front part of the car.
Anyone had anything like this?
Any advice?

·
Registered
177 Posts
You just had your oil changed by the dealer? If so, they probably did not wipe excess oil dripping.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats a good point however, It has continued now for several days since. It has been now two months and I just put a clean piece of carpet underneath and see I can see any new oil drips, in which case I will call the dealer.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Did you check the cap, remove the back cover ? if the oil is coming from there the cap was not closed correctly at the dealer - this happens and can cause quiet serious troubles up to major damages on the car.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Which dealer was this(to avoid)?
no specific one - it’s a known issue that sometimes happens ... either the caps are faulty (rare) or someone did not fully close it ... it needs to click in and sometimes requires quiet some pressure to do so ... if you see oil around the cap it’s nearly certain that this is the source

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advices. I will check those caps to make sure.
I use The Mclaren dealer in Atlanta, GA

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Thanks for the advices. I will check those caps to make sure.
I use The Mclaren dealer in Atlanta, GA
if the cap is lose or there is oil in that area don't drive the car under any circumstances ! Dealer needs to get it and clean the oil away and close the cap correctly ... you are running the risk that the car could catch fire if you drive it

·
Owner
428 Posts
If the cap is not closed tightly, the car will idle funny. It is probably oil left over that wasn't cleaned/wiped off when they filled up - some of it could have fallen in the tray and then it is making it's way out slowly. If you are still finding drips though after a few days, then they may have not tighten something up.

How far are you from the dealer? If you are far away, I would remove the lid on the bottom of the tray to have access and see what is going on in there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No further oil leak in the last three days. I checked the lids and they are tight, so likely it was some oil spilled during service. Thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This happened to me on a recently acquired 2005 Ford GT. Shortly after I bought it, I saw a couple drips on the garage floor and freaked out. I called a respected GT tech that works on hundreds of these cars annually, and he explained that for where the drips were coming from, it was likely a shoddy/messy oil change. He said clean it all up, and monitor it. I’ve been fine ever since. An improper oil change can certainly cause a ton of anxiety.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts