McLaren Life banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manual says it is normal to consume .1 liters every 600 miles. But it also says consumption can be higher if you drive more at high engine speeds (probably most of us). What is your experience in terms of how much oil you are consuming? Had to fill mine today even though the annual service was just a month ago, and it has me a little worried. I drove my Porsche Turbo S hard, and I never had to add a drop of oil.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Mine is at 1500 miles, not much hard driving yet. I think it's going to need oil added soon. McLaren dealer personally delivered a quart to my house, nice touch. I couldn't find it on line or in US shops.

The replacement of oil with water and possible inaccuracy of the dry sump measurement system make me skittish about 10,000 mile intervals. On the other hand, lack of direct injection improves the particulate issue and spares the oil that bit of fouling. And annual service will be due before 10k mi anyway.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Manual says it is normal to consume .1 liters every 600 miles. But it also says consumption can be higher if you drive more at high engine speeds (probably most of us). What is your experience in terms of how much oil you are consuming? Had to fill mine today even though the annual service was just a month ago, and it has me a little worried. I drove my Porsche Turbo S hard, and I never had to add a drop of oil.
How many miles have you covered since the service?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I have 4K miles on the car and haven't added any oil yet. I have OCD so I checked it prolly after and during each drive the first few months. No change in oil levels.

·
Owner
893 Posts
I have 4K miles on the car and haven't added any oil yet. I have OCD so I checked it prolly after and during each drive the first few months. No change in oil levels.
Same affliction ;)
I check it regularly, and use the formula someone once posted here on MLife to move the (oil check) green bar one "green box" up, if needed.
But, I like to live in the upper RPM ranges.:D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1,000 miles since service. Added about 3/4 Qt. Added .25 each time per the manual. The last .25 may have been too much. A check now fluctuates between the green maximum line and yellow just over max. I know the manual says not to overfill, but hopefully just a 1/4 quart over (if that) isn't a big deal. At least that is what I am telling myself.

·
Registered
232 Posts
5000 miles and nothing needed yet. Was afraid gauge was wrong bc usage was so low--had dealer check and all was as indicated. BTW, I check it all the time too--must be a habit we all have...

·
Registered
551 Posts
6000km on the car and oil is still ok. As long as the min is not reached I'm not doing anything. Overfilling causes much more damage to the car than having it on the min.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
1,000 miles since service. Added about 3/4 Qt. Added .25 each time per the manual. The last .25 may have been too much. A check now fluctuates between the green maximum line and yellow just over max. I know the manual says not to overfill, but hopefully just a 1/4 quart over (if that) isn't a big deal. At least that is what I am telling myself.
Be very very carefull.Unknown to myself my sensors were misreading and couldn't have put more the 1/2 lt over the maximum (as that's all I had in the garage at the time!! )
A mile down the road and it blew it though the exhaust in the biggest ball of white smoke i:ve ever seen!! Luckily no damage to the Cats,and a new sensor solved my problem, but not to be recommended.I never put more than a cupfull in at a time now !!:eek:

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Be very very carefull.Unknown to myself my sensors were misreading and couldn't have put more the 1/2 lt over the maximum (as that's all I had in the garage at the time!! )
A mile down the road and it blew it though the exhaust in the biggest ball of white smoke i:ve ever seen!! Luckily no damage to the Cats,and a new sensor solved my problem, but not to be recommended.I never put more than a cupfull in at a time now !!:eek:
That's what I do, based on Andy's case. Cupfull at a time, and I also triple check that the damn oil cap is securely fitted. :mad:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. Drove about 10 miles last night pretty hard with no indication of an issue. If a sensor is bad, that would seem to be something which could go unnoticed until something else happens as a result of overfilling or level dropping too low. I only filled it .25 at a time per the manual and the level went up each time so that would seem to indicate sensor is fine. But for whatever reason, the last .25 made the level go from "ok" but below the max line to just over maximum. But I think it is barely over if at all because every other time I checked it last night (I checked it about six times out of paranoia), it would show green "ok" at the max line.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
That's what I do, based on Andy's case. Cupfull at a time, and I also triple check that the damn oil cap is securely fitted. :mad:
That's what I do,based on Mark;s case.With the oil cap!! Fiddlely little bugger that one:)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
That's what I do,based on Mark;s case.With the oil cap!! Fiddlely little bugger that one:)
LOL, yes it is! Glad you remember what happened to me. ;)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Are you guys telling me the car needs oil as well as petrol! No way Jose . This is Mclaren.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts