McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, hope everyone's well.

My 720s had its oil changed in August at around 8200 miles and the gauge read "max." Yesterday at 10400 miles my car read its oil levels at "min." I assume i can put 600 to 1k miles on it still but that puts my car's oil consumption to 3k miles from MAX to MIN (2bars). Is this normal or is my engine eating oil? I really appreciate my car and would like it to be as healthy as can be.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Hi, hope everyone's well.

My 720s had its oil changed in August at around 8200 miles and the gauge read "max." Yesterday at 10400 miles my car read its oil levels at "min." I assume i can put 600 to 1k miles on it still but that puts my car's oil consumption to 3k miles from MAX to MIN (2bars). Is this normal or is my engine eating oil? I really appreciate my car and would like it to be as healthy as can be.
View attachment 208380
try searching the forms. The difference between full and minimum is very small. It’s been discussed thoroughly. Check the online owners manual too

Reactions: taw6189

·
Registered
54 Posts
Few things to pay mind to while checking oil level:
Oil temp. Try to make sure temps are +/- 5 degrees at time of you checking.
Location- Keep outside influences to a mimimum. Use the same parking spot/garage spot to check, at as close to the same temp as you can to avoid inconsistencys.
Leaks- Peek at the belly shield and check for moisture, take a look inside the engine bay and see if anything around the oil filter housing seems wet, as this is a very common culprit of leaking oil

With that being said, it is not uncommon for high performance/high strung engines to consume some oil. The best practice is to check it regularly, and if you must top off, do so in very small incriments as the difference from Min to Max is quite small.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
try searching the forms. The difference between full and minimum is very small. It’s been discussed thoroughly. Check the online owners manual too
I cant seem to find a relevant discussion besides this one here:
And most owners seem to have cars that dont eat much oil

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Few things to pay mind to while checking oil level:
Oil temp. Try to make sure temps are +/- 5 degrees at time of you checking.
Location- Keep outside influences to a mimimum. Use the same parking spot/garage spot to check, at as close to the same temp as you can to avoid inconsistencys.
Leaks- Peek at the belly shield and check for moisture, take a look inside the engine bay and see if anything around the oil filter housing seems wet, as this is a very common culprit of leaking oil

With that being said, it is not uncommon for high performance/high strung engines to consume some oil. The best practice is to check it regularly, and if you must top off, do so in very small incriments as the difference from Min to Max is quite small.

Here i checked again after a drive but im going to stop now as i imagine its not ideal for the engine.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
weren't some parts replaced on the car? turbo,etc?
The car had a new fuel pump controller put in at service B interval (around 6500 miles last march). And then the car read too low by last ausgut at around 8200 miles. While getting the oil changed i made the dealership address multiple issues. The mechanical issues were resolved by new cats, new fuel pump and new turbo air inlet pipes (fault found in the latter following your advise).

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As per tbe owners manual, the car needs 0.7 litres of engine oil at 2 bars (MIN). So my car has been eating 0.7 litres of oil every ~2350miles or ~3800km. What gives!

·
Registered
897 Posts
was thinking a turbo might have been changed or they dropped an oil line when changing the downpipe or other parts. but apparently not.
macs usually don't burn much oil.
top it off and recheck later.
0.7li for 2300 mi is within acceptable limits. not what you want to hear......

·
Registered
137 Posts
Lol noobs!

Sorry...

The car eats oil. Period.

Stock or modded.

Expect a quart every 1500 miles.

The damn owners manual says add oil after few drives lol.

And high performance cars DO burn oil.

Welcome to fast Gents!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol noobs!

Sorry...

The car eats oil. Period.

Stock or modded.

Expect a quart every 1500 miles.

The damn owners manual says add oil after few drives lol.

And high performance cars DO burn oil.

Welcome to fast Gents!

You see im a bit concerned as i havent really seen so much oil consumption in my limited experience owning exotics, (gallardo, sls, 599, 570s) and i admittedly never put more than 3k miles a year in any of them. My previous m5 (f10) ate oil but bmw rectified the problem with the f90 as the s63 engine in the new one didnt show engine oil decreasing in the last 20k miles (of course i change the oil every 8-9k miles regardless) and i drive my m5 a lot harder than my 720s. My s63 with the m157 unit is the same and so is my amg gtr with the m178 unit. I thought perhaps its specific to the ricardo v8s but there are mac owners who are putting 5k to 7k miles a year and are reporting their their cars don't eat oil. Eating so much oil is bad engineering in my opinion and if thats not the case my gaskets (or some other culprit) are not upto standards because my car has no signs of leaks.
was thinking a turbo might have been changed or they dropped an oil line when changing the downpipe or other parts. but apparently not.
macs usually don't burn much oil.
top it off and recheck later.
0.7li for 2300 mi is within acceptable limits. not what you want to hear......
That isnt a far fetched assumption boss but the turbos werent touched and i found no signs of leaks (also similar oil consumption before cats were changed...i figured it was due to the mechanical problems going on then). I have my 3 year service coming up in march. Ill just do it a bit early in february and get the oil changed all at once. Last time i opened the engine cover i scratched my paint.. i dont think less than 500miles will harm the car at all considering that the engine oil is decreasing at an at least predictable rate (considering prior consumption). I have some leeway from 2 bars (MIN) to dangerously low engine oil levels right? Also getting an extended warranty, hopefully the dealership will do me the favor and give the engine thorough check up before giving me the contract or ill make them do it, at least to address the engine oil consumption. If they say its normal i guess ill have the 1 year of extended warranty to keep my peace of mind but i dont wanna think about next year..

·
Registered
213 Posts
I got mine back from service (1st year) just a few weeks ago. Before I had the service done, mine had 2800 miles driven the first year. I picked it up and it was nearly at the max, when I checked before they picked it up for service, it was at the same place. Did not appear to loose any or much oil in 2800 miles. Each car is different, driving conditions, speed, etc. I do not do a lot of flat out speed runs, etc. Have them check it out when it is in, probably nothing to be worried about. My last F car (F12) would go through 1/2 quart every 2000 miles. So each car is different, also depending on conditions, driving habits, etc.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have over 10+ buddies with a 720s including mine and we all average about 1 quart every 1000-1500 miles.

Also, yes always measure twice! These sensors can get finicky.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got mine back from service (1st year) just a few weeks ago. Before I had the service done, mine had 2800 miles driven the first year. I picked it up and it was nearly at the max, when I checked before they picked it up for service, it was at the same place. Did not appear to loose any or much oil in 2800 miles. Each car is different, driving conditions, speed, etc. I do not do a lot of flat out speed runs, etc. Have them check it out when it is in, probably nothing to be worried about. My last F car (F12) would go through 1/2 quart every 2000 miles. So each car is different, also depending on conditions, driving habits, etc.
Thank you for this sir. I am going to do an experiment after my next oil change and drive the mclaren slowly for the first 1k miles to see if my oil levels decrease. If they still fall, ill be disappointed, but as everyone including mr @Anes570s is suggesting, i guess its all within the realm of possibility.

·
Registered
350 Posts
If you’ve been driving it relatively casually than this is higher than normal according to owners manual. If you drive spiritedly and there are no leaks it’s a lot closer to normal. As the owners manual says there are other factors that influence it. Sorry I couldn’t be of much more help.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you’ve been driving it relatively casually than this is higher than normal according to owners manual. If you drive spiritedly and there are no leaks it’s a lot closer to normal. As the owners manual says there are other factors that influence it. Sorry I couldn’t be of much more help.

Thank you. I reach higher speeds but i dont live at 8k rpm, i would say i drive relatively spiritedly since i do a few good pulls when i happen to chance across completely empty roads but im sure that's everyone. What about your consumption history? Does your car eat any oil?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yes it does. I haven’t had my car for a while due to service. But I drive almost 150-200 miles a week on average. It usually takes 500ml every 4 weeks. The car says to put more and I followed it once as it said but then it overfilled. So best to go a little less than what it says. Sometimes I put half to 1/4 of what it says

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes it does. I haven’t had my car for a while due to service. But I drive almost 150-200 miles a week on average. It usually takes 500ml every 4 weeks. The car says to put more and I followed it once as it said but then it overfilled. So best to go a little less than what it says. Sometimes I put half to 1/4 of what it says

Solid advice sir and thank you for sharing! I guess its not a big deal after all!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Also if you have a service advisor already from McLaren you can just call or text them and ask about your oil consumption if you want for confirmation, but as long the consumption is consistent and no leaks you should be good.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts