McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
I like that the sound clip link has both the stock exhaust clip and then one for their setup... Have to say, their setup sounds pretty good!

-Jamie.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Interesting links, actually also answers one of the recent questions regarding how to remove the rear deck.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Eh, it reminds me of when the optometrist asks which is better A or B, and I can see they are slightly different, but I can't decide which is better.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Its a very nice system, with a much more purist, mechanical sound - wonderful! and it seems to me that the tuning pipe is the result of some very serious effort they put into this system.

The question is - did they compare to the standard or the sport exhaust? hard to tell by the two soundclips.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
To my ear, the shift point speeds or timing between shifts seem the same, indicating that their is no Torque increase. Assuming all else being equal, the shift points should be closer together as a result of more power in each gear.

My guess it that like many of the "super tuner" outfits, they simply don't have the $ and therefor the engineering team that McLaren has. Louder is not better, faster is better.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I spoke with the Akrapovic rep at SEMA and he mentioned that they were working on a system for the 12C. I guess this is the result and I have to say that I can't tell the difference really. Rather disappointed. :(

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
To my ear, the shift point speeds or timing between shifts seem the same, indicating that their is no Torque increase. Assuming all else being equal, the shift points should be closer together as a result of more power in each gear.

My guess it that like many of the "super tuner" outfits, they simply don't have the $ and therefor the engineering team that McLaren has. Louder is not better, faster is better.
Excellent point Coffee,thanks for pointing it out.Makes a lot of sense........

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
How much better is this than the McLaren sports exhaust? The comparison on the Akrapovic site is with the standard McLaren exhaust (sounds exactly the same as mine, which is not the sports version).

I think the standard exhaust is a bit tame for my preference and I've booked to get it upgraded to the McLaren sports exhaust - I suspect the Akrapovic sounds very similar to the McLaren sports exhaust. Can anyone with a sports exhaust give a view?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the McLaren sport exhaust, but I've never heard my car on a drive by, as I don't let others drive it. ( Hagerty insurance tells me 80% of all exotic car crashes has a friend driving with the owner in the passenger seat.......AKA Fast and Furious)

McLaren does not state if the sport exhaust is more powerful or louder, just lighter. I bought the lightest combination of options I could, preferring lower weight cast iron brakes to the sexier, but heaverier carbon fiber brakes, on the super light wheels.

The exhaust sound in the cab is determined by the driver, thru the setting ot the Normal, Sport, and Track ECU switch on the dash. This opens a valve in a tube between the engine and the cabin. You can ask your dealer to turn up the noise by opening this valve if you want.

The exhaust sound outside the car is largely limited by the twin turbos efficiently turning that pressure and even the sound into boost. Getting over 600 HP and 26MPG from a 243 cu in motor is a modern engineering benchmark in street cars.

The question is do you want a car that is sporty rounding to you or the people you are passing?

My feeling is that McLaren didn't leave anything on the design table that small "Tuner" shops could pick off easily or reliably.

Every time my 12C goes in for scheduled service at Park Place Dallas, it comes back with free McLaren updates, and reprogramming with all the latest knowledge that McLaren has. The 12c returns with a better personality with each visit.

Personally, I won't touch my 12C. Or let anyone else modify it.

I'm a retired mechanical engineer and work on cars almost every day. I drive my 12C and work on everything else.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
560 Posts
the slip on doesn't sound much different imo
I think this car needs full exhaust to really make a difference. I love hearing the turbos spool etc...

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
1 - 20 of 56 Posts