McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 3317 Posts

·
Mark Antar Design
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought it would be better/more organised to just start a new thread for the P1. Hope we don't go too much off topic and keep the thread civilized. I'll start off with a few posts. :)

Photos by 'alexmxy' and '_soonmin'.

·
Mark Antar Design
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
http://bit.ly/16Wo0rM

The English translation isn't totally accurate, but it works fine!

Woking - In McLaren's exceptional headquarters about forty miles from central London we met with Paul MacKenzie , the project leader of the new hybrid supercar P1. With him, we talked about the new car, starting from the moment in which it was conceived (2009) to arrive at the assembly stage and marketing, as the first units are currently being built.

From where did you start the development of the P1?
" To answer the question, I would start from the date on which it was conceived. It was 2009 and at that time, after having thought about the 12C, we started to think about how it was our supercar. From the first moment we knew that we didn't want it to be the fastest on the straights, curves or acceleration times. The goal was to create the best super sports car the world had ever seen, finding a perfect balance between very complex criteria, relevant both for sports cars seen up to that time but also to the means of the second half of the twenty-first century. In summary we wanted one, or to build the best sports car of all time " .

What are these criteria?
"The new McLaren P1 obviously had to be beautiful, the most for the style of its period, to provide the best driving experience ever tested and comply with all applicable homologation of our times. It had to be a car that can also be used on the roads every day. It makes no sense to create a fast car on the track but difficult to ride on the road. And we always kept in mind the efficiency of the engine relative to consumption".

What were the main difficulties you encountered?
"I would say that the integration between the electrical and the endothermic was the most complex to design. We had to allow use of the car in electric-only mode, but at the same time increase performance when the two engines work in symbiosis. We had to develop a lot of technology from scratch to get the result we expected."

With regard to the body? Used as the carbon fiber on the "old" F1?
"All McLaren are always made ​​of carbon fiber, but compared to the three seats, which won LeMans to debut today we have construction technologies of this material that has allow to hold weights, improve performance but especially employ much less time to create a car. By now we have reached a level that would make even relatively inexpensive use of this composite".

How about 12C propose systems active aerodynamics?
"Of course, to achieve our goals was essential that the aerodynamic worked in symbiosis with the load requirements of the vehicle. To achieve that we had to change many of the components that we had already developed for the 12c, applying a further evolutionary step as a function of P1"/

At what level raises the performance compared to the F1 Murray?
"They are two different cars, and between one and the other it's been almost twenty years of automotive history. While remaining the F1 car absolutely exceptional, with the new P1 we have raised the bar considerably performance. Between the two, in terms of lap time, there is no comparison as well as it is not comparable on-board comfort. The P1, thanks to electronics, also known to be very comfortable".

But there's really nothing they have in common?
"Yes even though they are very different one thing in common they have it. The purity. This is a concept that we try to ensure our every vehicle to ensure the rider the ultimate in terms of connection between the thought and the reaction of the car. We want the car to do what you want to Behind the wheel, without filtering them through algorithms that claim to know more than him. The commands of the foot or hand on the steering wheel must arrive in their utmost purity to the machine. It 'a very important concept, which is fundamental in our development, and the result is that P1 is a car for those who love and know how to drive".

The concept of purity, combined with the amount of electronics present in the P1 could turn up their noses at some purist. Is not it?
Our technology is not any. Everything you need on this car has been developed drawing on the experience on the field of McLaren Formula 1 race. We have produced a car that, in road mode, it offers the same level of comfort of a 12C but at the same time, the button is pressed Race, lowers the suspension by 50mm, stiffens, raises the rear wing of 300 mm and becomes essentially a race car".

"The downforce is at the level of a GT2 or GT3 with the plus of being able to use goodies like the DRS system - which is also derived from F1 - that at the push of a button allows you to change the incidence of the rear wing providing less load and, therefore, a greater maximum speed. As in the machine Button, then, we have the Instant Power Assistance (Kers, ed) that out of the corners is able to increase thrust with ... a nice kick in the ass by the electric motor".

The electric motor acts as a Kers or has other features?
"No, it is simply a Kers as can be seen in F1. The P1 is a true hybrid car around which they worked some of the resources of our racing department and technicians from the best universities in the world. A team of 12 people dedicated to this project, which has developed a system able to communicate with the turbocharged V8 from just over 700 hp to deliver a total output of over 900 bhp delivered in a perfect way. I am convinced anyone to sit at the helm without knowing of being aboard a hybrid car would not be able to figure it out".

Have you considered using turbine power management, such as those that will arrive in F1 next year so he can also recover energy from that component canceling the lag?
"The V8 P1 we have two rather large turbines, which are characterized by a turbo lag obviously marked. A solution F1-style, 2014 (turbine power management and energy recovery, ed) it would be interesting but extremely complex to implement.To cancel the turbo lag we preferred to use the thrust of the electric motor, equally complicated solution but in this case more simple realization. We call torque filling (filling of the couple, ed) and I assure you that it works really well".

The P1 can march in fully electric?
"pressing the EV the car suddenly becomes silent, in fact an electric car 200 horsepower. We have done thousands of km with P1, the drive by a lot of time and has become automatic for us every time we get close to a town or a road construction site press the EV button and turn off the gasoline engine. It 'strange that a car from the line extreme, brutal sport, as it should be a supercar, can be so discreet in some situations. The effect is curious, because the people who once without hearing her get is almost shocked to see her."

About driving on the road, he told us that the P1 can be very comfortable.
"Thanks to Kinetic suspension the car can be as soft as any road but extremely rigid at the touch of a button. It 'a concept that we have also translated as active aerodynamics have ailerons and flaps fixed can ruin the overall balance of the car in situations where you do not need.We then active front flap working in constant agreement with the rear wing to ensure that the balance of the car remains always the ideal one. We also have the DRS working a bit 'on the same philosophy: When sfrecciate straight to over 250 per hour do not need a wing that worst aerodynamic efficiency. But as soon as you touch the brake, or you type a command on the steering wheel, the car realizes that you are approaching a curve and restores the aerodynamic ideal raising the aileron".

At what stage is therefore the project today?
"In production lines, in September of 2013, we started to build the first units sold to customers. The lines are working at full load, so we can observe the spectacle of 15/16 McLaren P1 in a stage of gradual completion. We have completed a few days before the final development of the car in which we tested literally hundreds of aspects of the cars. Engine performance, cabin noise, external noise - in short, we made ​​sure that the machine is really complete".

A test that has been brought P1?
"We tested in extreme conditions, you may have seen or will see photos and videos, from frozen lakes with temperatures of -40 ° to Death Valley where the thermometer was 55 °. Much of the tests we have conducted in Spain, Idiada. It 'a high-speed ring near Barcelona that we use often, but normally we deliver the car there and do our tests, while in the last test we preferred to get there at the head of P1. 1500 km of travel, which in the end are the best way to truly know the car: When you sit in the car all day you took the time to press all the buttons, turn all the knobs, trying to confound the machine - In short, make sure that everything is in place".

"Last month I and the two Chief Designers we drove up to Idiada, we spent half a day at the track trying to put the whip in the P1 Race mode. Ideally, we would have to fly back the next day and to carry cars, but we said 'why do not you report driving?' We pressed the button to return them to road mode and returned calmly. In three days we did 3500km - a long way in a car - and we arrived quite tired but without a trace of back pain, headaches. The car is ready ... it's the first thing we said when we got out of the car".

What do you think of LaFerrari?
"And 'certainly a beautiful car and also some of our customers are waiting, like waiting for P1. Curiously, on the day of the launch of P1 was also launched LaFerrari and, as we went to see her on the stand of Maranello, Ferrari engineers we met who were coming to see us. It came out a curtain really nice and we took the opportunity to exchange congratulations for their work. One thing intrigued me, namely that in Maranello envy our hybrid system. The fact to be plug-in, in fact, it really is a uniqueness".

Have you been meaning to try the record to the Ring? The Porsche 918 Spyder has been very strong.
"Yes, I will try a few time and I'm sure we will have a great time. We have seen the video of the 918 Spyder , which curiously does not go straight past the 280 km / h, and we are confident that we have the potential to go much stronger".

You can not say you're proud of this car
"I am very proud of the P1, I think we have achieved all the goals we set ourselves. At this point we expect the last step. Aside from Jay Leno, no person outside of McLaren drove the car. Now is the time to start to deliver it to our customers and see what they think".

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Thx for posting that mark!

That picture of the line looks like it's going strong now, more cars than when I was there a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
169 Posts
At Circuit Paul Ricard:

Video - http://bit.ly/1fwXUlm

Photos and video by 'ekanooracing'.
McLaren automotive may be young but damn. They take racing very seriously. I love how they are taking the P1 to tracks all over the world to fine tune the performance of the car. After you watch videos like this and seeing it at the ring, you really get the impression that this car really is a drivers car at it's purest. I'm loving it!! I honestly believe that it won't just beway fasfaster than the other two, it will be allot more fun to drive as well which is the most important thing.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Anyone noticed in this video from the Nürnburgring Testing of the P1 you VERY CLEARLY hear the electric engine, assisting in the streight and recharging while decelerating infront of the corner. It's the high-pitched sound you can hear next to the V8.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Yeah. You really hear it well in the second part recharging, the high pitch changing based on deceleration.. Since the petrol motor noise is not so loud it's easier to hear...

·
Mark Antar Design
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mark - it's easy on the eyes!

Between the 50 year video and the P1's arrival it's history in the making - Thanks for sharing
Indeed! :)

'definitivewax' shared this photo on their IG page:

"Our detailer is currently inspecting a McLaren P1 ready for its new car treatment."

·
Registered
83 Posts
Indeed! :)

'definitivewax' shared this photo on their IG page:

"Our detailer is currently inspecting a McLaren P1 ready for its new car treatment."
Interesting to see some of the front thats usually been bare CF painted on this car. Hopefully we'll get some good pictures of the whole car soon!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I think this is #002! The color is the one I remember, and it had the front bumper painted. Even the sides are painted I think. Almost no carbon.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think this is #002! The color is the one I remember, and it had the front bumper painted. Even the sides are painted I think. Almost no carbon.
How did it look with a lot of the CF painted? I hope MC has photos of all the finished cars available for when buyers go to option out their car to help get ideas for colors and how it look with the CF painted in different areas

1 - 20 of 3317 Posts
About this Discussion
3.3K Replies
237 Participants
New Britain
McLaren Life
McLaren Life is the best McLaren forum to discuss reliability, problems & more for supercar models like the F1, P1, 570, 650, 12C, and 720S!
Full Forum Listing