McLaren Life banner
121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Has anyone else found the sport to feel quicker than track? I feel that in track my car is pulling power but it sport it's more violent with the acceleration and the shifts. Maybe it's mental. But it feels that way. Is something off?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I haven't really payed attention to it, have you tested back/back in both settings?
Peter

Has anyone else found the sport to feel quicker than track? I feel that in track my car is pulling power but it sport it's more violent with the acceleration and the shifts. Maybe it's mental. But it feels that way. Is something off?

Reactions: Jo_sta7

·
Registered
534 Posts
I think that's normal. My 600LT does the same thing. You get some sort of inertial push with the shifts in sport. I think the shifts are technically slower, but more drama. In track mode that goes away and the shifts are faster. My guess is you are just interpreting the more dramatic shifts as being faster, but I bet it's not.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
I think that's normal. My 600LT does the same thing. You get some sort of inertial push with the shifts in sport. I think the shifts are technically slower, but more drama. In track mode that goes away and the shifts are faster. My guess is you are just interpreting the more dramatic shifts as being faster, but I bet it's not.
Nope. In Sport, you get cylinder cut, which attempts to better match engine speed to the transmission during the upshift. In Track, you get cylinder cut and inertia push. I don't fully understand why you get both in Track because they're seemingly working in opposition. Inertia push keeps the engine speed and the inertia in the system for extra torque as the next gear engages, maximizing acceleration.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Nope. In Sport, you get cylinder cut, which attempts to better match engine speed to the transmission during the upshift. In Track, you get cylinder cut and inertia push. I don't fully understand why you get both in Track because they're seemingly working in opposition. Inertia push keeps the engine speed and the inertia in the system for extra torque as the next gear engages, maximizing acceleration.
Maybe I have the terminology wrong, but I thought for sure the sport mode made the shifts more aggressive on purpose for drama, but that it wasn't necessarily as efficient. I definitely notice the shifts "kick" more in sport than in track though.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Maybe I have the terminology wrong, but I thought for sure the sport mode made the shifts more aggressive on purpose for drama, but that it wasn't necessarily as efficient. I definitely notice the shifts "kick" more in sport than in track though.
Your contention is that McLaren engineered the inertia push system into their cars because it feels good, not for performance reasons?

·
Registered
534 Posts
No
Your contention is that McLaren engineered the inertia push system into their cars because it feels good, not for performance reasons?
No, I said I probably had the terminology wrong when I called it inertia push. That was my mistake. But I do think the shifts are harder in sport mode than track mode. I don’t know what they call that, but it is noticeable in my 600LT.

·
Owner
735 Posts
They are harder. That's the inertia pushing.
Sport Mode does have more kick, especially in LT cars but that is Not inertial push, that is caused by cylinder cut for drama only, not speed. Inertial push is in track mode, combined with cylinder cut, this makes for the fastest speed and transition between gears.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Sport Mode does have more kick, especially in LT cars but that is Not inertial push, that is caused by cylinder cut for drama only, not speed. Inertial push is in track mode, combined with cylinder cut, this makes for the fastest speed and transition between gears.
Yes, I didn't read his reply. On mine there's more kick in Track.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
Interesting anecdote regarding what our cars are having to contend with from a traction control perspective. I took the car out this morning. Data below (it's easier to type it into excel rather than do screen shots since dragy doesn't allow for data to be aggregated into one run :mad:)

MPHKM/H
60-70
0.54​
100-150
1.67​
60-80
1.03​
100-200
4.04​
60-90
1.60​
100-250
7.73​
60-100
2.22​
60-110
2.94​
60-120
3.78​
60-130
4.70​
60-140
5.77​
60-150
7.07​

This data is pretty consistent with what a decent 60-150 run is for me. However, I was struggling to get any heat in the tires at all, couldn't get the rears above 105 F even with a burnout. So I was doing them in track track, with full TC on. I could feel the traction control holding the car back from 50 to 80 mph or so when floored. I then put ESC DYN on and tried an acceleration run starting at around 50 mph and almost spun off the road. Wasn't even full TC off. So certainly the car is holding back. Now, I've had huge issues with these PS4S tires. I think they're garbage on the car. But my rolling acceleration hasn't suffered greatly from them with the systems on. OEM tires would do better but the Trofeo's are notoriously difficult to get heat into. It's a good reminder to respect the machine and that our traction control systems are contending with quite a lot. Leave them on with tire temps below 120 F is my suggestion.

·
Owner
735 Posts
Great runs considering you have PS4S tires, they are terrible for longitudinal grip. Michelin really screwed that tire up.

Reactions: Jo_sta7
121 - 140 of 149 Posts