McLaren Life banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my car serviced for the first year maintenance which of course included a complete oil change. I took the car to the track a week later and drove maybe 6 laps. I decided to check my oil but thought 'why? I just had it completely replaced'. Glad I did. It showed it was at the orange color 2nd segment - minimum level. I checked mileage and found it was 90 miles above the written drive out mileage on the service receipt. It was 16 miles home from the dealership and 50+ miles roundtrip to the track. The rest being laps at the track. I added the recommended 700ml, drove it around to heat up the oil and checked. It was at the green 6th segment. I drove it maybe 25 miles and rechecked. It was now at the 4th segment.
I have 5900+ miles on the car in 12 months and over that time have added only 700ml of oil. Now in 90 miles I had to add 700ml and looks like maybe some more in another 100 miles or so.
Contacted the dealer who has offered to come transport the car.

So, is it possible they added the oil and didn't check it to ensure they added enough? Or is this some type of problem one of you have experienced?

·
Registered
168 Posts
What year is the car ? Check if it has the updated valve covers . There was an issue on earlier cars checking the oil. It would get stuck in the valve covers and read low . They have a new updated part for that now

·
Premium Member
2019 720S Coupe Track Pack
146 Posts
Pretty sure they won't have added it to maximum - for now I'd add oil yourself so you get to maximum, then check again in 100 miles and going forward every refuelling just to have an idea what oil consumption is like.

Also have a look around for leaks - just look through the rear splitter with a lamp to see if there's anything collecting.

In the future it's probably best to check before going on track and immediately after - any engine will use more oil at high RPM and prolonged high boost levels compared to town driving.

Personally I wouldn't get the dealer involved unless there's actually an issue with oil loss which you can prove and needs resolving.

The service book/PDF will tell you what oil you need - I believe it's Mobil1 0w-40 FS, it's not expensive at all. Be careful with the oil filler cap - it's a little odd and you need to get it seated right or it could become a headache. I posted about it before here in the forum.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What year is the car ? Check if it has the updated valve covers . There was an issue on earlier cars checking the oil. It would get stuck in the valve covers and read low . They have a new updated part for that now
March 2020 build date

1 - 4 of 4 Posts