McLaren Life banner

321 - 340 of 362 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
The SF90 will out perform the 765LT and will be closest in price to a well specced car.
Also it will hold is value very well in comparison. They really need to reduce the production numbers on the 765LT to make it feel special. Over 1500 units is probably more than the total run of the 600LT and look at the price of those now.
I love the LT brand (I have 2) and it is a shame to say it but I think they are going to struggle to sell these cars.

Dont think so. At 220kmh the emotors from the sf90stradale disconet (918spyder at 270kmh, 6 year older car) and the heavy pig, (in driving condition around 1750-1800kg, first mag test will prove this weight) has to be moved by its 785hp combustion engine.
The sf90 stradale will sur be a rocket up to 100kph/64mph and quick up to 200kph/124mph, but afterwards nothing special in strightline performance.
Wondering why they didnt ad to the emotors some gears to use all the power up to top speed or at least to 300kph/184mph.
but the other problem is recuperation, this car cant complete the Nordschleife with its 1000bhp, as couldnt do the 918 spyder with is full power due to battery recharging capacity..

Sf90 stradale 1000bhp for 1750-1800kg with epower, without 785bhp for 1750-1800kg
765lt 765hp (if not more) for 1400-1450kg

the 765lt will sure be on and above the level of the sf90stradale on an standing mile..

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
How many people have inside knowledge...

1) how many cars your dealer is getting
2) who is first, second, third in line in getting one
3) who has dropped out (I mean, people who have a build slot, spec'd the car and then did a u-turn?

Lots of people with very little buying history saying they are getting one or did a u-turn on one and saying they aren't going to get one. Other then the new dealer's in the States (seattle, detroit, charlotte, orlando) which I'll be assuming won't be getting many allocations (maybe 4 coupe's); the rest there is a long line of people with significant buying history >3 Mac purchases from new who haven't dropped out at all.

fwiw; before coronavirus; my dealer was only getting 3 765 coupe's this year and the remaining next year and they still don't know how many they are getting. Their initial estimate was they were getting 8 coupe's and there is many, many, many, many more people who want one than that number.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Don’t have any figures but I was offered one and will not be taking it in the UK.
I think the demand might be a little stronger in the USA than in the UK.

·
Registered
166 Posts
This is from a medium size dealer in USA...
View attachment 200912
Just bare in mind the dealers and McLaren will tell you this no matter what the situation.
Then suddenly the people on the waiting list get a call saying that by some miracle they can have an allocation.
I have been in this game for 20 years now so I doubt this one will be any different.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
This guy has a Chiron and a serial buyer of cars. He tried to buy another Mac car to get up in line for 765 (he is from a fairly large dealer in the States. One of those dealers where people who have bought one car were told that they will be able to get on (imo; dealers just trying to juice their list to get more allocations and those people who it is easy aren't going to be able to get on to spec)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Different guy from a Large Mac dealer. He bought a third car to be able to get 765. He's not locked on an allocation yet. I have a number of these messages from people globally who aren't represented on these forums (or they are but the silent type). Car forums and opinions on car forums are not representative of the typical person who owns these cars.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Dont think so. At 220kmh the emotors from the sf90stradale disconet (918spyder at 270kmh, 6 year older car) and the heavy pig, (in driving condition around 1750-1800kg, first mag test will prove this weight) has to be moved by its 785hp combustion engine.
The sf90 stradale will sur be a rocket up to 100kph/64mph and quick up to 200kph/124mph, but afterwards nothing special in strightline performance.
Wondering why they didnt ad to the emotors some gears to use all the power up to top speed or at least to 300kph/184mph.
but the other problem is recuperation, this car cant complete the Nordschleife with its 1000bhp, as couldnt do the 918 spyder with is full power due to battery recharging capacity..

Sf90 stradale 1000bhp for 1750-1800kg with epower, without 785bhp for 1750-1800kg
765lt 765hp (if not more) for 1400-1450kg

the 765lt will sure be on and above the level of the sf90stradale on an standing mile..
I believe only the front electric motors disengage at that speed and when they do, additional energy is diverted to the rear motor.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I believe only the front electric motors disengage at that speed and when they do, additional energy is diverted to the rear motor.
you are right the 3rd emotor is in the gearbox integreated, as the porsche hybrid system. The main problem in the sf90 stradale is the small battery capacity (almost half of the porsche hybrid models) thus the max theoretical output of the 3 emotors of the stradale could be 423bhp with a bigger battery.
But the actuell battery givs an output of max 220bhp for the 3 emotors. When at 220kph the 2 front motors disconect the ingear emotor stays but will NOT deliver 220bhp.
First the emotor is limited, second the already small batterie has drained from the boost below. I heard that maximum in the best case around 80-100bhp (shrinking as speed increase) are left over above 220kph for the emotor located in the gearbox of the Sf90 stradale.
Why the used a relativ small batterie remains there secret and why no gears for the front axel emotors aswell (as taycan for example)

·
Registered
818 Posts
I really like the SF90 but the 765LT will embarrass it, because of power/weight ratio advantage that increases significantly after 150mph when the Ferrari decouples the front axle motors. And the weight difference is massive. Only thing that SF90 might do better is 0-60mph because of the traction advantage from extra weight and driven front wheels.

Same applies to a 720S which can be lowered in weight nearly to the 765LT (Senna seats, carbon or other very light wheels, carbon diffuser, bumper, splitter, wing, hood, etc) and can be > 900 rwHP with an ECU remap.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Didn’t realize you guys spend so much time over 150mph.
Depends were you are located. Here in Germany an autobahn blast to topspeed on the unrestricted Autobahn is a coming thing for strong cars.
As far as i know 1/4, 1/2 and 1 mile races are in the Usa also something normal.

could be different in your region

·
Registered
166 Posts
I prefer track driving. I spend a lot of time at Silverstone and SPA. I think the SF90 will actually be quicker around those tracks. It will also be quicker on the road as an a-b car due to traction.
The 765 might be quicker around tighter tracks.
1/4 mile 1/2 mile will go to the SF90. By the way I am not biased in any way and support both brands. I intend to own both and currently own 2 McLarens.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I prefer track driving. I spend a lot of time at Silverstone and SPA. I think the SF90 will actually be quicker around those tracks. It will also be quicker on the road as an a-b car due to traction.
The 765 might be quicker around tighter tracks.
1/4 mile 1/2 mile will go to the SF90. By the way I am not biased in any way and support both brands. I intend to own both and currently own 2 McLarens.
Please do an in depth video review or something comparing both cars directly. I’m very interested and have been thinking about the subject quite a lot. The SF90 particularly seems to not have a lot of info available online for some reason.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Please do an in depth video review or something comparing both cars directly. I’m very interested and have been thinking about the subject quite a lot. The SF90 particularly seems to not have a lot of info available online for some reason.
Mainly because nobody has driven it yet so we are really in the dark. Other than headline numbers and the fact that they state it is faster than the LaFerrari.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The 765lt 0-124 is 7.2. The SF90 is 6.7.
Half a second is a big gap. Around the same gap as the 675lt to the 765lt for context.

321 - 340 of 362 Posts