McLaren Life banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 cobalt violet 570s
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been search everywhere and cannot find the instructions. It looks self explanatory, aside from all of the seemingly unnecessary hardware it came with. Now I bought mine used so maybe I received more than what came with new. If anyone would be so kind to post a link to the actual instructions, I’d appreciate it!

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
I’ve been search everywhere and cannot find the instructions. It looks self explanatory, aside from all of the seemingly unnecessary hardware it came with. Now I bought mine used so maybe I received more than what came with new. If anyone would be so kind to post a link to the actual instructions, I’d appreciate it!
Perhaps this video helps ... :)
And you may have seen this link ...

·
Premium Member
2017 cobalt violet 570s
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I watch that video. There are a few details missing, such as do you reuse the two small washers where the stanchion bolts in?

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
I watch that video. There are a few details missing, such as do you reuse the two small washers where the stanchion bolts in?
@VividRacing a sponsor on the forum has a good set of instructions on 570S rear wing install for their offering. Hopefully they won’t mind you looking at their excellent photos.

·
Registered
2017 570S coupe
127 Posts
The pics above tell the story pretty well. OP, did you get the slot cutout templates with your used wing? If not, PM me and I’ll share mine.

The slots you’ll cut are oversized to allow you to maneuver the wing stanchions past some internal brackets as you guide the assembled wing into place. As you stand at the rear of the car, the initial posture of the wing is leaning back as you guide in those stanchions... then, as they clear past the brackets, you can pivot the wing forward to its final position. I used little Allen keys to keep the stanchions in proper register with the screw holes while I placed and tightened each fastener.

Rich

·
Premium Member
2017 cobalt violet 570s
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The pics above tell the story pretty well. OP, did you get the slot cutout templates with your used wing? If not, PM me and I’ll share mine.

The slots you’ll cut are oversized to allow you to maneuver the wing stanchions past some internal brackets as you guide the assembled wing into place. As you stand at the rear of the car, the initial posture of the wing is leaning back as you guide in those stanchions... then, as they clear past the brackets, you can pivot the wing forward to its final position. I used little Allen keys to keep the stanchions in proper register with the screw holes while I placed and tightened each fastener.

Rich
It didn't but I figured it out and got the slots cut with no issue. I'm starting to wonder what I bough, because the holes in the wing stanchions are not drilled all the way through and the hardware that came with it are too big for the where the wing bolts to the stanchions. MIne came with M8 allen bolts, but it appears it needs M6? Can you shed some light on this?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Was it a genuine novitec part? I've seen some that are novitec "styled".. which are the bootleg versions.

·
Premium Member
2017 cobalt violet 570s
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The whole kit should use M6 bolts.
And it came with M6's, but I can't get them to thread into the wing. I first thought the CF was impeding getting the bolts started, but after going through all 6 on the wing, unable to start a single one, I wondered if it required a smaller size? I bought it from a member of this forum and included with the wing was a receipt. How would I authenticate a Novitec wing? I considered buying an M6 tap, but knowing it's used, I should have easily been able to thread the bolts in without issue..

·
Premium Member
2017 cobalt violet 570s
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't tap anything.
There are metal nuts that are bonded to the carbon on the inside of the wing, you start to tap you are going to break the bonding.
Try to figure out the correct size thread and use that hardware.
I meant "tap" to try and clean up the CF around the start of the threads..

·
Registered
2017 570S coupe
127 Posts
Is there any deformation around those threads? If the screws were over tightened in the previous installation there might be an issue with the carbon crushing around those integrated nuts...

·
Premium Member
2017 cobalt violet 570s
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Post some pictures
After pulling the old tape that goes between the stanchions and the wing, I uncovered this part number.
Also, all of the bolts are 5M.

·
Premium Member
2017 cobalt violet 570s
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It’s on. Does anyone know if the picture of the part number further up the post is consistent with a Novitec part number?

Reactions: eMcL
1 - 17 of 17 Posts