McLaren Life banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got caught in a 2 hour NYC traffic jam this am. The car, unlike its driver, stayed cool.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Got caught in a 2 hour NYC traffic jam this am. The car, unlike its driver, stayed cool.
Ah the joys of living in a big, big, big city jp33pds, that's one reason I try and avoid traffic hour as well listen to the local traffic reports. I feel for you, I hope you have some good soothing tunes to listen to as well as assist in calming your senses and pass the time. Hey in every negative theres always a positive, at least you can spend so quality idle time in your beautiful car. Cheers....??

·
Registered
312 Posts
Did you turn on sports mode just to be sure you would not be heckled on here.......lol

On a more serious note: Do you shift to neutral when sitting in traffic or do you stay in auto-mode all the time?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Doing my commute at 6:00pm over Laurel Canyon into the valley made me truly appreciate the comfort and usability of the 12C.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think one is at risk of getting heckled if not in track/track at all times.:D The real funny part is I am in sport/sport AND have the ride height up! Talk about a hot set up...:eek:

For what it's worth I usually ride in sport/normal in the city since the stiffer set up seems to protect the car a bit.

As for the traffic jam, I did slip into neutral from time to time because it seemed the right thing to do. But the car didn't seem to care one way or the other. The machine seems to be designed to actually be used in this way, and it works.

·
Registered
691 Posts
It takes me 30 minutes to get from Sunset to Mulholland (which is about 3 miles), up a ~10% grade, on pavement that looks like they shipped it in from Afghanistan (not the good part, either). Never put it in neutral. Worked perfectly as a traffic slogger.

The breadth of character in this car is staggering.

Really - you pretty much go the entire way up that hill just letting off the brake - you hardly touch the gas pedal.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
It takes me 30 minutes to get from Sunset to Mulholland (which is about 3 miles), up a ~10% grade, on pavement that looks like they shipped it in from Afghanistan (not the good part, either). Never put it in neutral. Worked perfectly as a traffic slogger.

The breadth of character in this car is staggering.

Really - you pretty much go the entire way up that hill just letting off the brake - you hardly touch the gas pedal.
Sounds like something I would want to do on my bicycle, much more efficient and less time consuming. So your average speed is approximately 6mph, that's pretty sad, forget the bike I could speed walk faster then that. LMFAO....?. It's amazing what some of us will do just to drive our cars. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
289 Posts
You are on the Sport/Sport mode in Neutral gear and your Lifter is in the 'Up' position?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the last few miles of the drive, and then to steep parking garage. The road is terrible. So sport suspension helps with the road and up is ok because it helps also on the rough road and since the speed stays slow until incline of garage, all set. Often just toggle the sport/sport from normal/normal with the active button. Also, I leave the suspension up all day, and wait for the speed to auto lower it on the way home.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Great idea to firm up the chassis to limit suspension dips when traveling over less desirable road surfaces.;)... just have to remember to activate it together with the lifter prior to entry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts