McLaren Life banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I haven't driven my car in two weeks (brand new, 102 miles) and when I pulled it out this morning, there was a pool of dried blue goo under the cowl area / front end. I initially assumed it was washer fluid because it didn't smell sweet, but when I showed the pic to dealer he said they thought it was coolant. When i didn't see wetness under the car, I assumed it may have been an overflow. Drove the car today for a little bit watching temps carefully. Ambient today was 78 degrees Fahrenheit and the car never got above 200 F engine water temp. Curious what other owners see as normal temps. I'm pretty confident it was an overflow / overfill by the dealer. What have others observed as normal operating temps?

·
Registered
113 Posts
theres about a 98% chance its just washer fluid and you need a new reservoir. and for future reference there is no overflow in the front of the car.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I haven't driven my car in two weeks (brand new, 102 miles) and when I pulled it out this morning, there was a pool of dried blue goo under the cowl area / front end. I'm assuming it was probably engine coolant. When i didn't see wetness under the car, I assumed it may have been an overflow. Drove the car today for a little bit watching temps carefully. Ambient today was 78 degrees Fahrenheit and the car never got above 200 F engine water temp. Curious what other owners see as normal temps. I'm pretty confident it was an overflow / overfill by the dealer. What have others observed as normal operating temps?
I have never seen my 720s over the half point of the temperature gauge (205 ish), no matter how hot out (upto 90 degrees Fahrenheit) or how long I drove (upto 11 hours straight). Coolant under the car nonetheless is a bad sign but if it doesn't reoccur then it's probably benign as you suggested sir.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IMG_0390.jpg

Here's a pic of the dried fluid. It did not smell sweet like coolant typically does and it was kind of soapy when I washed it down, but when I showed to selling dealer he said his service thought it was coolant. My initial reaction was washer fluid as stated above.

·
Premium Member
2019 720S Coupe Track Pack
82 Posts
I think it will be washer fluid - you could catch some spray in a glass or just on a white paper towel and compare the colour.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Green is suspension fluid . But with that much of it on the ground I would think you would have a suspension fault . So maybe something else 🤔

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was more blue than green in person. The first thing I tried was the suspension lift figuring that might be the issue, and the car went right up...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Washer fluid. Our car did this on occasion. The washer reservoir is probably lose or something.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Mine runs in the high 190's.

Joe

·
Registered
McLaren 720S spider, 2020. Spark.
571 Posts
Get some washer fluid out with a turkey baster and put it on the floor to dry. Compare.

Our garage floor very similar.

·
570S Owner
2020 720S Coupé
122 Posts
Occasionally, they have nocturnal emissions...particularly after dreaming of an owner pushing them beyond 200mph. Important thing is not to embarrass it and just neutrally explain that these things are normal and they happen to everyone. Best not to make a big deal out of it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did think I noticed some noises from the garage and a Ferrari badge smashed into one of my P Zeros now that you mention it. Lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
as a UK car mine is in Centigrade but it always runs right on the edge of being in the blue on the gauge, most times I drive it even when driven hard, it still occasionally goes back into the blue, when you have it on track mode the blue water temp sometimes lights up, I mentioned to the dealer, he said its fine, they are very efficient at cooling - which is a fob off but what ever

·
Registered
378 Posts
View attachment 210694

Here's a pic of the dried fluid. It did not smell sweet like coolant typically does and it was kind of soapy when I washed it down, but when I showed to selling dealer he said his service thought it was coolant. My initial reaction was washer fluid as stated above.

That's definitely coolant. My guess is a loose or faulty hose clamp on one of the radiators up front.

This was an issue that plagued the 12c/650 platform. Gosh I hope this isn't an issue that's starting to become an issue on the 720S.

I haven't heard of these issues on 720's thus far.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bbeavers, the car is brand new, 105 miles. So if it's an issue on my car, it certainly isn't related to wear. Although it is a 2020 with a late 2019 build date. I had them change all engine fluids prior to delivery because of the fact it was already basically a year old, so I was hoping it was overfilled. But it seems I might have an issue. I'm in the queue for a trip to the dealer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts