McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I would make a post for all the non-detailers out there with MP12's who like to use their cars and don't suffer OCD.

Don't get me wrong.....I think the detailing community achieves BIG Time and their work is admirable

Just think we need to show them they will never be out of business!

Pic 1. shows streaks of Chiltern Mud which was air dried in excess of 90 mph
Pic 2. Just non swirled dirt
Pic 3. That stubborn type dirt that despite traveling at MacSpeed sticks to the rear

Attachments

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Ack, we need to avert our eyes! :)

There was a video of a guy basically rallying his (I think white) 12C in the woods/snow somewhere. That car must have been a sight when he got it back in the garage.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just think it's time we saw some Dirty Macs.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you might get arrested for posting pics of men in their dirty ol' Macs :D:D:D:D

Wonder if that translates beyond the UK:eek:

·
Registered
964 Posts
Lake district next weekend- I'll oblige you then :D
I think the one from the detailed before picture of my spoiler should do for the meantime ;)

·
Registered
964 Posts
I can go one better than that....mines full of stone chips...why didnt i wrap it???
Because the wrap look just as battered as the stonechips do!! :( well my bumper, wings and bonnet does anyhow!!:mad:

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
I really appreciate owners to use them for what they are built to do, no shame in that whatsoever! one has to accept the car isn't made from miracle material and that like everything else, gets worn, thats the reality and compromise of it unfortunately! But saying that, everyone hates those darn stonechips! grr

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
No worldwide response Ric,seems Dirty Macs are only for the older generation of british men like you and me ,you know the ones that actually use our cars for what they are supposed to be used for.I suppose some of the confusion is down to the fact we do get more than our fair share of weather ,ive booked in for my next carwash in march :D

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
You don't see very many dirty McLaren F1s, but this car (said to be the leader for production cars at over 70k miles) is often showing signs of use with the UK weather a prime contributor. I am sure it still gets a lot of care as well and I think dirt acquired by use should be applauded:

Now dirt and leaves all over the car from being abandoned under a tree on a residential street for several weeks, maybe not so much... :eek: :eek: :(

>8^)
ER

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Now dirt and leaves all over the car from being abandoned under a tree on a residential street for several weeks, maybe not so much... :eek: :eek: :(

>8^)
ER
Erik - In this guy's defense, if that car is in New England, it would look like that after one gust of wind this time of year :D

With respect to most miles, I thought Rowan Atkinson was way up there in miles on his F1 as well.

-nh4.

·
Owner
544 Posts
Because the wrap look just as battered as the stonechips do!! :( well my bumper, wings and bonnet does anyhow!!:mad:
really? so you still get the marks showing up even with the wrap? thats no good then, because the wraps are not that cheap. I heard that they have switched supplier for the volcano colours - does that mean that it allows for touch ups or does the whole panel need doing as before?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
really? so you still get the marks showing up even with the wrap? thats no good then, because the wraps are not that cheap. I heard that they have switched supplier for the volcano colours - does that mean that it allows for touch ups or does the whole panel need doing as before?
still not able to touch up,but with the new supplier they just need to paint the singular panel,when I had my bumper painted,i was going to wrap it,but the paint shop told me to just enjoy it as they could re spray for not much more than a wrap,and as Gary says the size of stones we get seem to not only damage the paint,but also dint the panel which no wrap can prevent,but it must be our british roads or the way we drive that make it pointless imo

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tailgating 458's does not help:cool:

·
Registered
964 Posts
Tailgating 458's does not help:cool:
I only do that until I get the overtake in.... :eek: they hold me up all the time ;)

I had to make the call whether to have the wrap or not as I've never bothered before.
It certainly has saved the paint as I think my car would be white by now with the lack of paint and primer showing through- you only have to look at my door edges to see that.
The wrap it pitted all over from the stone chips, so no longer gives a smooth glossy appearance but it has saved the paint.
It would be a simple and quick replacement of the wrap to put it back 100% again- and that's the point 'quickly' in that it could be done in the same day.

Cost wise following my Monaco connection with the kerb I had a quote to get the bumper resprayed...
The paintwork etc was going to be £700 plus taxes, where the wrap was going to cost £600 plus taxes, so a comparison was gained.

·
Owner
544 Posts
Cost wise following my Monaco connection with the kerb I had a quote to get the bumper resprayed...
The paintwork etc was going to be £700 plus taxes, where the wrap was going to cost £600 plus taxes, so a comparison was gained.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't seem to be much in it. The paintshop told me that the wrap will always take something away from the vibrancy of the colour especially the volcano colours and how they reflect light.....well he would say that wouldnt he??;)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts