McLaren Life banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love the car, but finally found something I really dislike. It appears that it is impossible to see oil pressure? WTF? The absolutely most important engine operating parameter is COMPLETELY ABSENT FROM THE DASH? My dually pickup truck even has an oil pressure gauge. My Z06 has the ability to supplement the round gauge with a digital display of oil pressure and on the heads up display. And the right side bar graphs are nice on grandpa's buick, but I'd like actual numbers.

On track, I really don't want or need the left hand home page info on my trip odometer and range 'til empty. What I'd like is the ability to see engine parameters, such as oil pressure, oil temp, water temp and perhaps boost. And put the numbers in color, with blue too cold, green OK, yellow warning and red danger?

Anyone with me to request a software update to add engine operating parameters to the home page instead of trip statistics? Is this too much to ask for on a car with "track mode" on the engine and handling? Am I missing something on how to do this?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Here is what I do. If you see your right pod, when you start the car from cold, the oil level will show lower, but after the car warms up, the level is in the middle. That is when I start to push my car.

I too would like to learn how to check the oil level.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did find out how to check oil level and that procedure will display temperature, but as far as I can tell and have been told, there is no way of any kind to monitor oil pressure and it baffles me as to why in the world would McLaren do that?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Yeah - I don't think there is a way to get the oil pressure permanently shown on the Lt.

BTW - I didn't realize you bought the car. I heard from some fellow track friends that you were on the bubble but leaning against it. What changed your mind?

Also - your flying lap in the Radical at COTA is absolutely Jaw dropping!:eek::eek: Very impressive!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I did find out how to check oil level and that procedure will display temperature, but as far as I can tell and have been told, there is no way of any kind to monitor oil pressure and it baffles me as to why in the world would McLaren do that?
The temp gauges in this car as useful as tits on a bull - except to give an indication when the engine is warm enough to floor the loud pedal. I have a theory why there is no oil pressure gauge: The engine is designed to idle at a very low 650 RPM, I think it would freak everybody out to watch the oil pressure drop close to zero in some cases.

What surprises me is how they manage to get the engine up to the normal temp range in a matter of just a few minutes - most cars with this much oil take a lot longer! Is it just the gauges? I had a couple of V12's that took at least 5 miles to get the oil up to operating temp

·
Owner
893 Posts
The temp gauges in this car as useful as tits on a bull - except to give an indication when the engine is warm enough to floor the loud pedal. I have a theory why there is no oil pressure gauge: The engine is designed to idle at a very low 650 RPM, I think it would freak everybody out to watch the oil pressure drop close to zero in some cases.

I have a better theory: They McLaren probably thinks that nobody knows how to check a dry sump system ...... so, they give us a glorified idiot light !

·
Registered
11,177 Posts

What surprises me is how they manage to get the engine up to the normal temp range in a matter of just a few minutes - most cars with this much oil take a lot longer! Is it just the gauges? I had a couple of V12's that took at least 5 miles to get the oil up to operating temp
Is 5.5 lts alot of oil ???.But i do agree it gets to temp quick !!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have a better theory: They McLaren probably thinks the nobody knows how to check a dry sump system ...... so, they give us a glorified idiot light !
I have a better theory... nobody could be bothered to manually check anymore. The setup is adequate IMO (and obviously McLaren's).

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It appears half of the posters don't understand the difference between PRESSURE and QUANTITY. The former is never displayed and I completely understand the procedure for the latter and why McLaren set it up that way

A dry sump system can be tricky to check for QUANTITY because you want to be sure of the level of oil in a tank external to the engine. You want to be sure the oil is warm and that oil is fully scavenged from the crankcase. Normally you warm the engine and bring the RPMs well above idle to scavenge the crankcase and fill the external tank (a/k/a sump). Then you must promptly shut down to check the level in the tank before any oil can drain back to the crankcase. The McLaren procedure is handy as you read oil level from a sensor as you rev the engine to scavenge/fill.

I get and appreciate the QUANTITY measurement system. Very nice!

Which makes it all the more baffling to me why it is seemingly impossible to display PRESSURE at all. A full sump does not guarantee proper PRESSURE.

·
Owner
893 Posts
I have a better theory... nobody could be bothered to manually check anymore. The setup is adequate IMO (and obviously McLaren's).
If there were a choice, I'd take the standard method; It's no bother whatsoever. It's as easy as falling off a log.

Kverges: Don't try to figure these guys out ..... they chose the Meridian audio system didn't they. ;)

·
Registered
3,072 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ha! just what I was looking for!! Thanks McDC!!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts

·
Owner
893 Posts
Is there a way to swap the oil temp gauge graphic for the oil pressure gauge graphic, so that you still have your normal left hand display of fuel, miles, trip, etc. ??? I'd rather the oil pressure be my basic view rather than oil temp. (Given the choice.)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I get my car back from the dealer tomorrow, they've assured me the new software, with this Easter egg, will be in there!

·
Owner
893 Posts
I just looked in the owners manual and the 12C does not even have a dashboard telltale warning lamp for Low Oil Pressure. Bizarre !! I thought it would at least have a warning lamp ! Every car has one of those.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I just looked in the owners manual and the 12C does not even have a dashboard telltale warning lamp for Low Oil Pressure. Bizarre !! I thought it would at least have a warning lamp ! Every car has one of those.
I don't even think it has anything for low oil level either? Just crazy.

I remember my first car and first oil change, Toyota Celica, I tightened the oil filter too tight, and the oil leaked out fairly quickly. Thank God I had a low oil level light.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts