McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just finally removed the engine from the 2019 600LT
and guess what after removing the timing cover plate found the chain that drives the oil pump had broken
wow never seen this before, pump turns great when I turn it so what happened
Course person driving just keep driving with no oil pressure until engine seized.
Mclaren will not warranty engine because the cats were removed
Water Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Bicycle part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Product Gear Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
2019 720S Coupe Track Pack
306 Posts
I'm wondering if you'll find something that could have caught in the chain, even just briefly - maybe now in the oil filter. If the car had a recent oil change, then you may not find anything.

That sucks - understandable that McLaren won't do anything about it though.

Reactions: rnixon

·
Registered
560 Posts
Oh wow thats a first. Oil pump must have malfunctioned and then snapped the chain. Chains dont just snap. That is totally unheard of and odd.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh wow thats a first. Oil pump must have malfunctioned and then snapped the chain. Chains dont just snap. That is totally unheard of and odd.
Oil pump turns just fine have no idea not particles anywhere to been seen.

I have proceeded to tear down engine completely quite a task, they are telling me that engine bearings are not available to the public although I can get a gasket set and oil pump chain
Does anyone know where I may be able to get crank bearings.
If I do repair engine I will need tool to time the cam shafts
Just for everyone's interest one of my recent builds is my own supercar with Two LT4 supercharged Corvette engines side by side. see web (twin engine Corvette)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I realize Mclaren (or any manufacturer for that matter) wants to weasel out of paying for anything. But can anyone explain to me what removing the cats has to do with a timing chain breaking???

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I realize Mclaren (or any manufacturer for that matter) wants to weasel out of paying for anything. But can anyone explain to me what removing the cats has to do with a timing chain breaking???
It can cause over-boost. You are changing the characteristics of the exhaust system, including its resonant frequency.

It's also illegal to remove the cats in all US states.

If you want a guarantee, you must leave it as designed. McLaren (or any other manufacturer) cannot be expected to provide a warranty for future, unknow, modifications that they didn't design!

The problem here is that the cause of the chain break is unknown, and non-obvious, so difficult to argue what did (or didn't) contribute to it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Its most likely the oil pump locked up for a moment and then freed itself from the force of the chain snapping. Overboost causing that is unlikely thats more likely to throw a rod due to overboost or put a hole in the piston. Freak failure could also have caused it.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Its most likely the oil pump locked up for a moment and then freed itself from the force of the chain snapping. Overboost causing that is unlikely thats more likely to throw a rod due to overboost or put a hole in the piston. Freak failure could also have caused it.
All of which is completely irrelevant in terms of a successful warranty insurance claim. There are two issues here, the first is what actually caused it, which we all know most likely wasn't the absence of the cats, and second whether or not they can use the absence of the cats (and the presumptive associated tune) to deny an engine failure claim, which they obviously can.

·
Registered
11 Posts
All of which is completely irrelevant in terms of a successful warranty insurance claim. There are two issues here, the first is what actually caused it, which we all know most likely wasn't the absence of the cats, and second whether or not they can use the absence of the cats (and the presumptive associated tune) to deny an engine failure claim, which they obviously can.
So under this mentality could Mclaren void warranty for non stock tires?? I mean somebody could say the increased traction from the r888rs overstressed the drivetrain and caused subsequent transmission failure

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
So under this mentality could Mclaren void warranty for non stock tires?? I mean somebody could say the increased traction from the r888rs overstressed the drivetrain and caused subsequent transmission failure
Possibly, in theory. I'm guessing they don't go that far, but it's not hard to see how different tyres would affect the way the software controls traction. It's important to remember that the entire warranty isn't voided, too, just the part that might be affected by the modification.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I would argue that it would not be a valid reason to deny a claim, especially with a road-legal tyre. There are, IMO, more serious issues created by tyres breaking traction. You also can significantly change the level of grip by the surface that you drive on.

·
Registered
600LT
2 Posts
If you want a guarantee, you must leave it as designed. McLaren (or any other manufacturer) cannot be expected to provide a warranty for future, unknow, modifications that they didn't design!

The problem here is that the cause of the chain break is unknown, and non-obvious, so difficult to argue what did (or didn't) contribute to it.
Had a Porsche 991.2 had the cats removed, exhaust removed and Porsche would still warranty the car. SO maybe McLaren doesn't support exhaust modifications but you can't say any others. Now if you crack/hack an ECU, then yes it's a different story, but many manufacturer support bolt-on modifications.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Possibly, in theory. I'm guessing they don't go that far, but it's not hard to see how different tyres would affect the way the software controls traction. It's important to remember that the entire warranty isn't voided, too, just the part that might be affected by the modification.
my Lambo dealer gave me an example of denied warranty due to oversized wheels on an urus - I believe warranty claim was due to suspension.

my Mac dealer told me that as long as the wheel size is same as Oem then no issue with warranty

1 - 20 of 21 Posts