McLaren Life banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have the code name for the next car McLaren might be working on? Any code name similar to the previous cars? Is it as simple as P11, P12, P13.... and now P14?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Last I heard, P14 = Next gen 12C.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think in correct in saying that McLaren want a 3 car range. So I'd guess P14 will probably be the next generation 12C. The Ferrari 458 replacement is almost certainly in development already.

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
It's plausible that the P14 can be a design exercise (never to go onto being a commercially available public offering) or the P13's roadster/spider counterpart.

Just thinking out-loud, as'per McLaren Automotive's past projects & their leadership's initiative to bring forth a new-model and/or derivative every year.

The 12C was a '12 model-year offering, then '13 model-year was the 12C-Spider, '14 model-year being the P1, '15 model-year being the P13 "baby 'Mac", to be followed by '16 model-year being the P13 roadster/spider, and then '17 model-year for the 12C successor. That'll allow for a standard 5-year model cycle.

In clearer terms...

'12 - 12C released
'13 - 12C-Spider released
'14 - P1 released
'15 - P13 "baby 'Mac" released
'16 - P13 "baby 'Mac" roadster/spider released
'17 - P14 12C successor released

With all that said, I wouldn't even be surprised by a mid-model 12C refresh/change that can be a facelift of sorts along w/ some other attributes beyond the v.1X upgrades. Obviously, I have nothing to base any of this on, just thinking how the existing platform can remain "fresh" & in the limelight...

(would make most sense to me, having in the range a coupe - spider - streetable track/GT3 derivative)

·
Administrator
2,702 Posts
It's plausible that the P14 can be a design exercise (never to go onto being a commercially available public offering) or the P13's roadster/spider counterpart.

Just thinking out-loud, as'per McLaren Automotive's past projects & their leadership's initiative to bring forth a new-model and/or derivative every year.

The 12C was a '12 model-year offering, then '13 model-year was the 12C-Spider, '14 model-year being the P1, '15 model-year being the P13 "baby 'Mac", to be followed by '16 model-year being the P13 roadster/spider, and then '17 model-year for the 12C successor. That'll allow for a standard 5-year model cycle.
Would that make the 12C successor the P17?

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
Would that make the 12C successor the P17?
Hmmm... I'm thinking (based on my aforementioned logic/points), the 12C successor would be P14 (since P11 was 12C & 12C-Spyder; P12 was P1; P13 (and derivatives) will be "baby" 'Mac). This is assuming there's no shooting-brake, SUV, mini-van, etc from now till the 12C successor! :D

Again, I have no insight into any of this. It's just what would plausibly make sense to me.

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
I heard P17 mentioned again yesterday as being an existing project.
Very cool, great to hear (so to speak) that there's downstream models in the pipeline!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts