McLaren Life banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
and must've missed my posts too. On my second Mclaren with a total of 17000 miles and zero problems as well.
17k miles and no codes? no keyfob issues??? haha you are definitely a rare case in Mclaren world then and thats awesome and good for you!!!

·
Registered
2020 720 Spider
140 Posts
2 McLarens and about 7k miles and 1 steering wheel fault code that had no impact on driving the car...dealer reset it in 10 mins while I waited.

Owned a gated Ferrari 360 for 2 years...was in the shop 3 times...2 minor issues, one major.

Still Own a 2009 612 Scaglietti (since new)...it completely lost 2nd gear on mile 700...replaced tranny. 2 new fuel pumps at mile 5012, headlight switch ($1713 lol) broke at mile 5300...

From my experience Ferrari’s are less reliable than Macs. Does that make it so for everyone? No. I’ve had Corvettes with more problems than my Macs...The problem is...people don’t come onto car forums and talk about how reliable their cars are...they do the opposite. How many Mac owners are really on this forum? 2%, 5%?

OP...congrats on the car...beautiful!!!

·
Registered
961 Posts
17k miles and no codes? no keyfob issues??? haha you are definitely a rare case in Mclaren world then and thats awesome and good for you!!!
The complaints you see on these forums are very petty and unknown to the complainer actually makes them look very bad for not reading the owner's manual or taking the time to learn why and what happened and what they did to make that happen...Some of the issues are so minor that it may have happened to other owners but it was so fleeting that they don't even remember it happened, let alone come on to a car forum and stating a problem that isn't a problem other then their own lack of understanding.

Forums just seem to be about people looking for participation points and would generally be ridiculed by owners if they made these points in person.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Rare case? You only need to look at 2 posts up in the same thread where Gary reports 14k problem free miles.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I love how every thread of every McLaren forum turns into a reliability debate :D

For all those who've had the pleasure of driving both the Aventador and 720s and posted about it here: you are absolutely right. The experience couldn't be more different. I'm only a few drives into the Aventador but here are my first impressions compared to my 650s (also spider). Assuming most of my 650 experience would transfer to the 720...

The McLaren is the more fun car to drive. Hands down. Acceleration, handling, etc. is so much more nimble, surgical, ... just better. Not gonna get into the "if it actually drives" comments running through my head ;)
The Aventador's presence is unmatched. I get 10x the attention compared to the McLaren from the general public. Everyone knows a Lambo, most people love looking at it, someone felt the need to sit on it for a picture without asking. I generally enjoy this, hell I knew what I was buying, but would be nice to "turn it off". Hat & sunglasses.
Also, and I'm gonna say it. For a 5-year old car, the Aventador seems a lot more "solid" or "sturdy" compared to the McLaren. So far everything has worked without much effort. No weird errors, no having to walk across the parking lot so the keyfob disconnects to get it out of some this-or-that mode, no having to plug in your seatbelt before firing it up or the e-brake comes off, ...
Aventador "feels" slow compared to the McLaren and even my 911.

I have yet to get good at driving the Aventador in a more spirited manner but I doubt it will ever drive like a McLaren.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts