McLaren Life banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
.... people today are really difficult to satisfy ... see McLaren built a car already 5 years ago that can heal and repair itself if only left alone for some time and still not confident about it ... 馃お
haha! Like the doctor telling you to get some rest and drink plenty of water as you hobble out the office with your broken leg 馃槀

Registered
.... people today are really difficult to satisfy ... see McLaren built a car already 5 years ago that can heal and repair itself if only left alone for some time and still not confident about it ...
I actually feel the opposite - as consumers we are so eager to get our hands on the newest stuff these days, so we put up with all kinds of BS from vendors.

Keep in mind that if any aircraft was so unpredictable with faults and error messages, it would be grounded and not allowed to fly.

Registered
I actually feel the opposite - as consumers we are so eager to get our hands on the newest stuff these days, so we put up with all kinds of BS from vendors.

Keep in mind that if any aircraft was so unpredictable with faults and error messages, it would be grounded and not allowed to fly.
well when using aircraft production standards not many would be willing to pay maybe 1m plus for a 720S and have it in service 1-2 times per month

Registered
well when using aircraft production standards not many would be willing to pay maybe 1m plus for a 720S and have it in service 1-2 times per month
what on earth are you talking about?
a lot of airworthy planes can be had for much less than a 720 and can rack up many hours of reliable flight time .

Registered
what on earth are you talking about?
a lot of airworthy planes can be had for much less than a 720 and can rack up many hours of reliable flight time .
yes true but about 99,999% of all cars are also cheaper and tech wise simpler than a 720s ... you have to compare in its respective class vs standard product ... a 400 usd city bike is certainly also less likely to cause troubles than a 20k usd cf ultralight road racer

Registered
Heh, my point wasn't to compare the usage case of an airplane to a car. What I mean is that we are so eager to have a certain car (for whatever reasons), that we literally justify it using our stupid man maths when the thing flat out doesn't work properly. It's our own fault. We accept a level of mediocrity so that is what we get.

I know you were only kidding, but the insinuation above could be that all cars (at least exotics) are throwing faults all the time, it's just that Mac is too verbose with the logging and sharing those faults with the operator. I think we all know that is not the case!

Personally I don't think a Mac has to be any more complicated than any other exotic. Yes the hydraulic suspension models are a bit trick, but otherwise the systems are comparable.

Registered
Heh, my point wasn't to compare the usage case of an airplane to a car. What I mean is that we are so eager to have a certain car (for whatever reasons), that we literally justify it using our stupid man maths when the thing flat out doesn't work properly. It's our own fault. We accept a level of mediocrity so that is what we get.

I know you were only kidding, but the insinuation above could be that all cars (at least exotics) are throwing faults all the time, it's just that Mac is too verbose with the logging and sharing those faults with the operator. I think we all know that is not the case!

Personally I don't think a Mac has to be any more complicated than any other exotic. Yes the hydraulic suspension models are a bit trick, but otherwise the systems are comparable.
well Mclaren throw a lot of sensor errors and such, that鈥檚 not great but somehow it鈥檚 better than cars that don鈥檛 really show errors until you hear or feel sth is wrong on the drivetrain, engine , suspension and so on ... i know ppl have issues and those should be sorted out - but really most of that stuff just comes from the overly complex electronics of the car (btw. I believe McLaren cars have a big number of sensors and electronics that govern everything from tires over active Suspension over different driving modes over active aero which simpler sports cars are just missing) and is nothing to worry about if it sorts itself out after rebooting. However these messages are surely annoying ...

Registered
well Mclaren throw a lot of sensor errors and such, that鈥檚 not great but somehow it鈥檚 better than cars that don鈥檛 really show errors until you hear or feel sth is wrong on the drivetrain, engine , suspension and so on ... i know ppl have issues and those should be sorted out - but really most of that stuff just comes from the overly complex electronics of the car (btw. I believe McLaren cars have a big number of sensors and electronics that govern everything from tires over active Suspension over different driving modes over active aero which simpler sports cars are just missing) and is nothing to worry about if it sorts itself out after rebooting. However these messages are surely annoying ...
Yes I seem to remember my early 12C was even more sensitive and Mac was continually adjusting the thresholds for warning lights etc.

I guess it comes down to can you do anything about it? If not it's just annoying.

Registered
If it's any help, I used to own a 650s. Loved the car but it was a PiA for reliability. One problem after the other, more visits to the dealer in a year than I'd had with my non-McLaren cars (Porsche, Mercedes, Ferrari) in 5 years. I finally sold it. I'd read great things about the 720s (a 650s on steroids and more reliable). So I bought one. Haven't been disappointed. A few glitches but nothing as bad as the 650s. I wouldn't call it reliable (like a Porsche), but in comparison to the 650s, it is. And a total blast to drive!

41 - 50 of 50 Posts