McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I've been debating my car purchase for next year. This would be a replacement for my 2016 650s. I LOVE the 650 from a driving experience, but not a big fan of the total ownership experience (random sporadic errors, warranty renewals, dealing with McLaren, etc).

In consideration are either a 720s (2018-2019) or Aventador (2013-2015). Looking for any thoughts, arguments, experiences that can help me make a more informed decision...

My basic considerations so far:
720:
+ Cooler than the Aventador (looks/uniqueness/driving experience)
- Reliability (worried about the random error messages, warranty drama, not being able to mod without voiding the warranty, etc.)
? Depreciation (probably close-ish to bottom of that curve at this point...?)

Aventador:
  • Better reliability, easier service around me, won't worry about warranty, etc..
  • Depreciation somewhat better than 720.
- Older tech (single clutch...)

What are you all thinking about these two? How has 720 reliability been for those who own them? I still keep hearing reports of the error messages. True or exaggerated?

Thank you all!

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'd be curious to hear how you measured the Aventador's reliability vs the one for Mclaren. I don't necessarily disagree with you (nor agree) I just would like to know how you objectively gauge that. If it's based on the personal experience then mine is the opposite of yours when it comes to Mclaren (I've had 2 MACs with 16k problem free miles). Another factor I'd add to your comparison chart is the age difference for the design between the two cars.

·
Registered
366 Posts
reports are somewhat exaggerated in that the satisfied people rarely crow about how well their car is doing.
not sure why the extended warranty is a negative in your point of view.an older lambo would not have this at all and major repairs would be just as pricey as the 720.
depreciation is a sore topic but most exotics are taking a beating as well.some less,some more....
performance wise,the lambo is a dinosaur comparatively.
modding is a negative but this would apply to other brands too.
nearby service is a plus however.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have 6,000 miles on my 720 Spider since mid-May without a single problem.

Joe

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd be curious to hear how you measured the Aventador's reliability vs the one for Mclaren. (...)
Yea good question - and I don't have a good answer. I'm going off perfectly flawed, non-scientific reasons here. My group is mostly Lambos and the newer ones seldom have an issue. The older ones have hose-type issues that are obvious and easy fixes. Whereas in my 650 I've sometimes been greeted by some random error (Limp, for example) that went away by itself but gives me more anxiety than a leaking hose... Basically, in my head: aventador = brute force, less brains, less complex failures vs. 720 = high tech, higher chance for failure I can't diagnose/fix quickly.

not sure why the extended warranty is a negative in your point of view.an older lambo would not have this at all and major repairs would be just as pricey as the 720.
I feel that owning an out-of-warranty McLaren is more frightening than an out-of-warranty Lambo. More Lambo shops around and part availability (Audi). To keep the McLaren in warranty means no modding, and another $7k every year.

I have 6,000 miles on my 720 Spider since mid-May without a single problem.
That's a relief to hear. Like restosud said too.. you hear about the issues, but not when things are just.. fine.

Thanks for the engagement. Exactly why I posted.. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
The 720’s looks and insane hyper car level performance give it the advantage to me. But Aventador is super cool and you have the V12 shriek.
cant go wrong either way so I feel that it’s more a question of what do you like better in your gut?
my friend went from a huracan to an aventador and he preferred the huracan for the way it handled and the transmission, but is keeping the aventador because it’s more of a show off car. Not sure if that means anything but to me the 720S is the “better” car. Very subjective though as both are amazing machines.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tough choice. I have never driven an Aventador, but drove the Murcielago. In the Merc, the single clutch transmission was a lot of fun, but not daily drivable due to how violent the shifts were at very low speeds like driving around town. A LOT of theater in it, though, and I loved how the car felt at speed. Visibility out the back was abysmal, making it super hard to backup - consider a backup camera a requirement. With the Aventador, I think these issues are similar, though I may be wrong.

Here are some random Aventador notes from my research:
  1. Heather Ballentine on Youtube is fantastic - definitely find her channel.
  2. Exotic Car Hacks has some info here:
    1. 198202
  3. From what I understand, avoid 2012, and 2013 and newer solve various niggly issues.
  4. I tested their roadside assistance number, they responded in 2 minutes. McLaren was similar.
From a drivability standpoint, 720s hands-down. It's super easy to drive due to it's fantastic visibility. I got the 360 park assist, which I recommend, but since it's so easy to see in that car, I also now think not really that necessary. With a Lamborghini, I would want every assist they have.

The Murcielago had a faster lift system if I recall, so I imagine the Aventador would also be quicker than the 720s. On the 720 it's reasonably quick to go up, but slow to go down (at least in a cold climate for me).

The 720s is also insanely fun to drive, as was the Merc, and I see no reason why I wouldn't say the same for the Aventador.

I crossed out the Aventador from my list as I was concerned about long term maintenance on what I intended as a daily, and I wanted a full Alcantara interior, which was hard to find used (except in the super light limited production models), pretty expensive to spec new. I looked very closely at the Huracan Performante and EVO, which both seemed like rock solid cars as well. A few fires on Youtube, but the same can be said for the McLaren. There is so much hearsay around these cars, though, it's really hard to know for sure which cars are best long term, so maybe just roll the dice on the one that excites you the most.

Looks are quite subjective. I think the Aventador looks nicer in pictures, and the McLarens don't photo so well but look amazing in person.

Tip: Consider renting to try before you buy. There seem to be more and more rental places nowadays with exceptionally good rates during the winter. Pick the rental agencies brains for their experience as well, as they have to maintain them.

Tip 2: Consider your dealer. If the dealer has a bad reputation, I might pick the car with the better dealer. In my experiences with the local dealers in the Seattle area for Ferrari, Lamborghini, and McLaren, I have so far been very happy, and have found that dealer relationship to be far more valuable than I expected.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I’m actually considering trading my 720s for an Aventador SV. From a depreciation standpoint I think the non- SV/SVJ models still have significant downside. They made too many and the tech is arcane for the $. The SV and SVJ add rear wheel steering which helps with drivability. Love the theater of the v12 but have to come to terms with the fact that the big lambo is quite a bit slower.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are some random Aventador notes from my research:
That was awesome, thank you! A lot of good points. Something I hadn’t really dug into much before was the usability of either car. I live downtown with busy streets, a driveway that needed re-grading for the 650s, and lots of pedestrians and bicyclists. So visibility while driving and ease of parking, while not the most exciting factors to help decide a next super car purchase, ended up pushing me closer to a 720. Also admittedly I like to look and brand image a bit more. So I think I’ll put my reliability fears aside and take the plunge on a 720! YOLO as they say ;)

Thanks for the helpful discussion and thoughts here to all!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Went and drove an aventador today. LOVED the sound. The v12 shriek is unrivaled by any other car. Power is noticeably less but not horrible. Some people have argued that the aventador “drives big”. I didn’t get that same sensation about it’s proportions. Visibility wasn’t good. The single clutch gearbox is horrible. I’m torn.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went and drove an aventador today. LOVED the sound. The v12 shriek is unrivaled by any other car. Power is noticeably less but not horrible. Some people have argued that the aventador “drives big”. I didn’t get that same sensation about it’s proportions. Visibility wasn’t good. The single clutch gearbox is horrible. I’m torn.
Ugh!! :)
Yea the sound is tremendous! did you drive the SV or the base?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I drove the base just to get a taste. When I say the transmission is bad, it’s not mildly bad it’s BAD. Absolutely no comparison with the w dual clutch gearbox. I’d definitely prefer a gated 6 speed over the e-gear single clutch box.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I drove the base just to get a taste. When I say the transmission is bad, it’s not mildly bad it’s BAD. Absolutely no comparison with the w dual clutch gearbox. I’d definitely prefer a gated 6 speed over the e-gear single clutch box.
I hear ya. Had a gated v10 r8 and that was such a joy to drive. I wasn’t particularly quick with my shifts, but at least it felt fun!
Dual clutch definitely spoiling us. I absolutely LOVE the transmission and whole feel of the shifters on my 650. Much prefer it over my Porsche PDK too. A big notch on the 720’s scoreboard :)

How did you find maneuverability in the aventador? Can you imagine parking that thing downtown? (Considering heavy traffic, cars waiting and honking, people watching & taking pictures waiting for you to screw up... hehe full pressure aventador parking)

·
Registered
340 Posts
The mclaren 720s dual clutch gearbox is good. I don’t think it’s any better than the Porsche turbo (my daily) gearbox though. I didn’t drive the aventador long enough to truly endorse or criticize its maneuverability objectively.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with either. 720S is objectively better technology is probably every way and better performance. Aventador is still a gorgeous design and sounds great.

If bought right, I think an Aventador might have less depreciation in it than a 720S, but that depends on what 720S you get too.

I think in the end, depreciation between the two might be within $20K of each other over the span of a few years, so not that big of deal.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Pros 720s:
  • Way faster and more nimble car
  • looks more futuristic
  • far better social acceptance
  • easier to drive
  • very easy to park in cityscape
  • feels more sporty
  • can be dialed down to be quiet low profile sound wise C/C setting
  • LeMans race engine based V8TT
  • airy cockpit with lots of room and light
Pros Aventador S
  • better known as expensive sports car (if one wants that)
  • more brutal aggressive look (Especially SV and SVJ) - maybe too much for some
  • V12 sound and knowing its one of the last NA V12 sports cars out there
  • better show factor (at least where they are rare)
  • probably better dealer coverage in most places
  • more drama and maybe more emotionally loaded
Cons 720s:
- not known by many ppl if you want a lifestyle car with wow factor to general public (for me that is an advantage ;-) )

Cons Aventador S
  • S model is way slower than the 720s ... SV and SVJ for road use and not driven by a pro on track still are a bit slower
  • more expensive if sth breaks
  • very bad visibility and the cabin feels tight especially for taler persons
  • bad to very bad social standing in some places - red light and drugs association
  • old design being around for many years already
  • loud and attention grabbing car (if one is not comfortable with that it is probably very annoying)
  • clutch is beyond dated
  • bigger and more heavy than 720s while also being less powerful
  • more expensive to maintain

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I kind of doubt the Aventador would cost more to maintain. Maybe oil changes are more or something standard like that, but I believe it would likely be more reliable in the long-run. VAG generally makes very reliable cars.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I’m not convinced that the Audi engineered aventador is more expensive to maintain than the quirky mclaren
Aventador from what I was told by owners is much much more expensive than the Audi based V10 models (Huracan and Gallardo) ... I was told its about 2,5x the cost in maintenance and parts and nearly comparable to 1m usd plus hypercars ...

regarding maintenance I found this by an owner which is in line with what I was told: (the person I spoke to said about 15.000 - 37.000 EUR)
  1. Vehicle Maintenance - $15,000-$50,000
    Even if you drive it only 1,000 miles per year, you will still be required to do the annual service. Annual service can run $5,000. If you drive the car more, you may have tires in there to buy too. I have seen service run to $10,000 per year or more on a used one. If you buy used and you need to replace an e-gear clutch, forget about it. $20,000 or more in a given year. Used, I have seen 3 year deals on the wrong car cost $30,000-$50,000. Always pay for a pre-purchase inspection. A “good deal” on the wrong car is NOT a good deal. If you drive over 15,000 miles, expect to pay the ridiculous 15,000 mile service out of your own pocket.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts