McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Trusted Source for McLaren Performance
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TL;DR: If solely interested in the group buy, skip to post #2 in this thread.

McLarenLife family,

Introduction:

I have some good news to share! Most of you here will recognize me as “renaissance.man”. I have been a long-standing member of this board for about 4 years or so and now the owner of “Renaissance Speed”, a new vendor. Like many, I fell in love with my McLaren and felt the need to add more performance. Over the years, this has fostered numerous close relationships with some of the top companies in the industry and on this board. For example, AMS Performance, Dodson Motorsports, Forgeline, Soul Performance, DynoSpectrum, PTP Turbo Blankets and Dahmnator to just name a few.

Thanks largely to this talented group, I was able to push my 12C farther than anyone else and quickly found myself breaking record after record. The last record broken was the first McLaren (of any chassis) to make over 1,000 rwhp on the dyno with boost only, no nitrous. As you can imagine, this required raising the boost pressures up from the OEM 18 psi to close to 30 psi. Not only does this generate a lot more heat from the compressed air and results in skyrocketing IATs (Intake Air Temps), it also stresses the factory water intercoolers which were not designed for such high boost pressures. Hence, the issue…

Issue:

The factory intercoolers are “tube and fin” design, which is common for OEM. As soon as you exceed their boost design limitations, you have an increased risk of internal flexing and possible cross contamination of coolant into your intake track. Worst case scenario is a hydrolocked engine. I encourage you to ask your local McLaren Service Manager if they have seen any factory intercoolers fail catastrophically and cause engine damage. Unfortunately, this is a reality, especially for the 12C/650S design; with or without a tune.

If you are running any sort of aftermarket tune and manage to avoid an intercooler stress failure, you are still forced to deal with higher IATs and rapid heat soak. Both are highly detrimental to performance.

I understood and tolerated these risks since there were no alternatives on the market. That was until I noticed coolant in my lower intercooler boost hose while performing routine maintenance.

When I removed and disassembled my factory intercoolers, I found coolant and mildew sitting in the air intake section of the housing. This was a full stop for me until I created a solution….

Solution:

Frustrated by the lack of options and the cold reception of people I reached out to, I decided I had to take matters into my own hands and have new intercoolers fabricated. These intercoolers would have to fit within the same footprint as the factory units and would perform vastly better with the updated “bar and plate” core design befitting of any high horsepower tuner build.

Less than one month later, we had a final product that fit perfectly in a Spider (tighter than coupe), a new company, new logo and vendor account on McLarenLife. I am both honored and proud to be able to offer this to other McLaren enthusiasts as a way to extract the most performance out of their tune.

Data Validation:

These intercoolers have been rigorously tested over the last month or so. When the dust settled, it was clear they have exceeded my initial expectations by a wide margin. But unlike some others, I would not expect you to accept this without the supporting data.

DynoSpectrum and I were able to capture logs during our last dyno session, which spanned a couple of days and over 40 pulls; many of which were 180 mph runs. Both days, the car was strapped down for 8 hours continuously. Ambient temps were in the 75-78 deg F range. We saw consistent idle temps of 79 deg F, less than a 1 deg F increase when WOT at over 8,000 rpms WITHOUT any methanol. It is only after the WOT run is over, do you see a 4 deg F increase in temps. However, within 10 seconds, the IATs are back down to the baseline of 79 deg F. The second run IN A ROW, tells a very similar story with regards to minimal IAT increase and super fast recovery times.

Here is a quick screenshot; note the IAT is the orange line which hardly moves from it baseline over the course of two sequential pulls:

NERD OUT? For those of you who want to look at the data graph closer, here are several more data points from this log capture.

·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Group Buy:

Here are the key points:

• Bolt-on, no modifications needed
  • All factory style ports and connections
  • 1 piece, 100% tig precision welded vs factory 3 piece design
  • Best in class, high strength bar & plate cores vs factory tube & fin
  • Dual pass design
  • Less than 1 psi pressure drop.
  • Pressure tested to withstand an extended 3 bar of boost abuse.
  • About 5 lbs lighter than factory CAST aluminum intercooler housings
Now offering introductory pricing for up to 5 members total. Deposit will be required upfront for 50%. Product lead time is 4-5 weeks. I have resellers lined up who will be offering these for sale shortly, so this is a limited time.

Will update the thread with the member names of those who have reserved a slot and sent in deposits (anonymity is an option), up to 5 only. Not negotiable.

MSRP: $3795.

Discounted price (first batch only): $3250 shipped, 48 continental US.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Honestly I don't have any first hand experience with the unit but I have worked with you directly and discussed what you found and how you fixed it.

You're data driven and focused on making quality products that deliver results for the price. You truly push your products to that limit for the sake of more data.

I have no name in this game yet but I can vouch for the work and data you have behind them. Best of luck man!

·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You're data driven and focused on making quality products that deliver results for the price. You truly push your products to that limit for the sake of more data.

I have no name in this game yet but I can vouch for the work and data you have behind them.
Thank you for the kind words! Given the effort going into these and the data driven results, I am sure these will be the goto option for tuners in no time. This should address the endless complaints of heatsoak on the street and track.

·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
any info on the cores? us made? mfr?
Thanks for the question. These intercoolers are 100% made in the USA. The cores themselves are specifically designed for liquid cooling vs air cooling for higher efficiency with less than 1 psi of pressure drop. Also, the cores are pressure tested to withstand extended use at 3 bar (43 psi). These are some of the best cores on the market and the data corroborates this narrative.

Did you check out the PDF with several data points from a back to back capture? If not, here it is again. I encourage you (and everyone else) to check it. The proof is in the pudding.

·
Registered
273 Posts
They look amazing I’m deff going to buy them after my clutches!!

·
World’s fastest and quickest McLarens
146 Posts
This kit never skipped a beat during repeated 5th gear, high boost, dyno pulls. Smooth consistent power delivery as a result of stable intake air temperatures. Nice work! There are quite a few vendors here that are making some really well thought out stuff!

·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
They look amazing I’m deff going to buy them after my clutches!!
Awesome, I am pleased we can offer you another way to significantly increase power without having to get bigger turbos or another tune. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after the upgrade.

This kit never skipped a beat during repeated 5th gear, high boost, dyno pulls. Smooth consistent power delivery as a result of stable intake air temperatures. Nice work! There are quite a few vendors here that are making some really well thought out stuff!
Thank you for forwarding the data logs used here. Considering the number of McLarens DynoSpectrum tunes weekly and the number of tuning records under your belt, this means a lot to our company! Say goodbye to 140-160 F IATs that pull power to stay safe.... Say hello to crisp 80 F IATs at over 8,000rpms :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Awesome, I am pleased we can offer you another way to significantly increase power without having to get bigger turbos or another tune. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after the upgrade.

Thank you for forwarding the data logs used here. Considering the number of McLarens DynoSpectrum tunes weekly and the number of tuning records under your belt, this means a lot to our company! Say goodbye to 140-160 F IATs that pull power to stay safe.... Say hello to crisp 80 F IATs at over 8,000rpms :cool:

View attachment 196413

·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice looking product, do you have stock comparison data?
Thanks, we think they turned out great too! Looks and braun is a powerful combination. Do we gave any stock data? Not yet since my car has been far from stock for a while, but I do have before and after data with these intercoolers and know they definitely work. Besides the IAT data (which speaks for itself), let's just say I picked up a TON of power under the curve. Dynospectrum can attest to this since they have seen the dyno graphs overlaid.

Expect for more data to be released once the first batch is here and they get installed on stock cars. Looking forward to sharing more data.

You've got methanol injection; "upgrading" intercoolers is pointless..
Not at all considering the stock intercoolers fail at even stock boost pressures. I have a friend who is a McLaren tech and he tells me about having to replace cylinder heads from factory intercoolers that "let go" and caused hydrolock damage. I wish these incidents were made more public, but as in a lot of exotic repairs, these things tend to be hush hush.

Also, I too have methanol injection. I just had it turned off for these passes to see how the intercoolers are able to stand alone. When racing, I will still be using methanol. Why? It lowers IATs EVEN FURTHER and increases the octane rating of the base fuel for added safety against engine knock. Upgraded intercoolers just means that the methanol does not have to work as hard to remove heat from the intake air. Which is a good thing!

·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Keep the questions coming guys! This is great engagement and ultimately good for our small community!

Still have open slots....lets get this first batch going!

·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
You will only see additional pressure drop (less boost) from switching to bar+plate.
This is technically true that you will make less boost, but the implied point that you will make less power (due to less boost) is off the mark.

Just to level set, boost (psi) is a measure of restriction in the intake system. By removing the restrictive "tube and fin" factory coolers and installing "bar and plate" cores, you will open up the intake stream and see a bit less boost (not much).

However, you are moving more air volume which is now denser since the IATs are lower. The turbos are not putting out any less air overall.

The net result is you make MORE power with LESS boost, which is better for your engine. This is a positive selling point.

Why else would every tuner build choose "bar and plate" intercooler cores? Certainly not to lose power.

Hope this makes sense. If not, happy to try it another way.

·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All,

I have been asked a few times what the process looks like to remove and install the factory water intercoolers on the 12C/650S. This is a fair question.

To assist, I can provide the factory instructions on how to remove and install the intercoolers with step by step directions if you want to drop this off to your local independent shop.

Moreover, anecdotally, I can tell you the labor is very similar to having exhaust downpipes installed (which most have already). You have to remove the downpipes to gain access to the intercoolers. From there, you are looking at about 2-3 hours of additional labor to replace the intercoolers. YMMV.

Let me know if I need to expand here.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 44 Posts