McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ML community.
Last week I picked up my Mac and so far it has been amazing. Had a few little issues but now they are resolved and I am just loving it.
I used to have an R8 which served me very nicely for a number of years. I used it as a DD which is what I am planning to do with the Mac too.
Comparing the two cars is very difficult, but definitely R8 was much stronger in little things like creature comforts, inside storage space (not the trunk), stereo system (I had a B&O upgrade, it was amazing, plus it worked!), BT, switching between paddles and automatic, etc. But when it comes to power and pure joy.....Mac has no competition!
Anyway, it has been a fun week and I look forward to learning a lot from you and this forum.
Kp

·
OWNER
99 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I too have an R8. I find both cars are exactly what modern sportscars supposed to be. Fast, comfortable and good looking.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Love the wheels. Refreshing change from all the stealth. If I end up keeping my car for the long term, I think I will put a non-stealth set on.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Welcome. I also have an R8, but it will be going up for sale shortly. Has served me well for the last 20K miles and really is a fantastic car, but I'm excited to have something new. R8 doors don't go up either :D

Doesn't the McLaren actually have more storage space? I guess the R8 had those under-seat compartments and such, but the only thing I found my interior storage space doing in the R8 was accumulating crap papers and documents, forcing me to dig for 5 minutes just to find my registration or insurance cards. The area behind the seats in the McLaren is actually quite spacious by most exotic car standards, as is the trunk.

That's one thing I'd hate to give up with a Spider; the rear shelf. You can fit some decent sized bags on those shelves when traveling, among other things.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Noone1. It's so true, and somehow no one counts that shelf as storage space. It's weird. It's a legit and very useful storage spot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Noone1, I had 40K on my R8. It was super reliable and looked great until the day I shipped it out. People were taking pictures and congratulating me as it was being loaded for shipment (they thought it was being delivered vs. shipped). Anyway, it is all in the past now.

Regarding space, definitely Mac has more luggage space. You guessed it, I was referring to interior storage. Glove box, storage under seats and nets on the back of the seats (the nets are one thing McLaren could have easily added, as there is room for it). Just somewhere to put everyday stuff like glasses, phone accessories, manuals, tissues etc. Don't like leaving anything out in the open....it does not look good and I am worried about break ins (which has happened before). I am trying to see if I can find something creative to expand the manuals storage space under the passenger dash.

By the way, are you getting much worse MPG vs R8? or is it my driving?

thanks

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I'll let you know in a couple days. My R8 did at best like 20ish if cruising at like 70 in 6th. From what I understand, the McLaren is like 24ish or better. But like any exotic, having even a little bit of fun with it can bring it down dramatically.
Cruising at 70 you will be in the 30,s no kidding,After 15k hard miles I,m averaging 17mpg,but that's with very little cruising,but they are UK gallons;)

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
By the way, are you getting much worse MPG vs R8? or is it my driving?

thanks
The 12c is far better on the motorway, can get 27-29 at 75mph on a long-ish run when I never used to get better than 22-23 on the R8 V10. On a country road run generally the 12c is likewise better as the R8 needs to be at 5-6+k rpm to truly come alive. On track, equally bad at about 5-ish mpg...All figures in british gallons...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wow it must be my driving and/or LA traffic. I have been averaging 9 and change MPG (US of course). Then again have not taken it cursing yet. Mostly shorter runs but a good portion over freeways.....

thanks all for your input.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Noone1, and Macster, what is the octane rating you fill up with? If you're filling up with 93, youre going to get worse mileage than 91. I think in the US you need just 91 octane...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts