McLaren Life banner
1001 - 1020 of 1029 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
You make a good point. However, while much of it is private many states are still Gov't regulated regarding pricing and almost all of them operate with Gov't subsidies as well...so there's that. Their hands are still in the bowl. I can't think of single thing the Gov't does efficiently...So if the grid is struggling without their help, imagine if they did more, LOL.
The power grid will need to increase its capacity to deal with the extra demand, as it has previously. However, it is an incremental process, occurring as the number of EVs increases.

In some states, e.g. California, Texas, and Florida, many buyers will also have / install solar panels, and potentially power walls, so may not require more from the grid In fact, they may even help it, by smoothing (or following optimal time-use) demand.

·
Registered
885 Posts
The power grid will need to increase its capacity to deal with the extra demand, as it has previously. However, it is an incremental process, occurring as the number of EVs increases.

In some states, e.g. California, Texas, and Florida, many buyers will also have / install solar panels, and potentially power walls, so may not require more from the grid In fact, they may even help it, by smoothing (or following optimal time-use) demand.
i'm waiting for us to be able to use the car battery to power the house during peak periods and then refill the battery for the morning commute...

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,003 ·

·
Registered
204 Posts
i'm waiting for us to be able to use the car battery to power the house during peak periods and then refill the battery for the morning commute...
The Hyundai/Kai has that feature. The GT Sport model or whatever its called will be good.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Ford and Hyundai launching with V2G. With modern electronics being so much more efficient, you could probably just get a modest solar panel setup to use during the day. Other than HVAC and fridge, modern homes use very little power. I bet the next more power consuming thing in the house during the day after the fridge is the modem/route lol

·
Registered
885 Posts
Ford and Hyundai launching with V2G. With modern electronics being so much more efficient, you could probably just get a modest solar panel setup to use during the day. Other than HVAC and fridge, modern homes use very little power. I bet the next more power consuming thing in the house during the day after the fridge is the modem/route lol
it would make a significant difference to overall pollution if you could smooth out power generation over the day as peak power is usually the most polluting. V2G could reduce the peak in the evening for example, see picture below. that one is old so that duck curve is even more pronounced today.

Slope Rectangle Plot Line Font

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
it would make a significant difference to overall pollution if you could smooth out power generation over the day as peak power is usually the most polluting. V2G could reduce the peak in the evening for example, see picture below. that one is old so that duck curve is even more pronounced today.

View attachment 217309
I'm not really familiar with the topic, but why is peak power dirtier than non peak? It's it due to spinning up "peakers" or something? In both cases you need the same amount of energy overall. What am I missing?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Saw my first Plaid yesterday. Nice looking car, but even from several feet away, behind at the lights, I could see panel fit problems.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I'm not really familiar with the topic, but why is peak power dirtier than non peak? It's it due to spinning up "peakers" or something? In both cases you need the same amount of energy overall. What am I missing?
for good reasons most utility companies will have their dirtiest power plants on idle and only use them when absolutely needed, and use others for normal times.
obviously if you live in an area with a lot of hydropower then that might not apply to you, as that is a very quick and clean source of peak power

·
Owner
1,035 Posts
Plant Steering part Motor vehicle Automotive design Car

Product Rectangle Font Technology Computer

I would like to separate out the different functions and play with stability, regeneration and handling balance without having all the funky cooling stuff going on.

It's going to take a track day to be willing to play with a lot of this stuff. The car generates over 1.1g lateral so playing with the limits on the street is a bit tough.

and yes, the Tycan fit and finish is much better as is overall build quality. That said, NOTHING short of a ChampCar in 3rd on hot tires, accelerates like this thing. It is ridiculously stupid fast.

Attachments

·
Owner
1,035 Posts
It is interesting that the reasons they do not want to buy one is that the car is not a light weight noisy super car with a round wheel. They are right; it is not. It is a four door daily driver and should not be bought for being a super car. How about having both?

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,016 ·
It is interesting that the reasons they do not want to buy one is that the car is not a light weight noisy super car with a round wheel. They are right; it is not. It is a four door daily driver and should not be bought for being a super car. How about having both?
I find the 12C to be the one car to rule them all. It works great as a daily, and as a super car. I think eventually some of the EVs will get down in weight. If we get EVs down to 3500lbs, with hypercar performance, I dont know how ICE versions with similar weight performance will fair over time. Will be interesting to see it play out. The noise thing, I think, is age weighted to be an important factor for older folks. With time, I suspect it to be a generational shift. Then again, I could be 100% wrong.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
EVs will get down there pretty soon. A Model 3 performance is a 4 door sedan and weighs 4100#. Chop off the back seats, up the battery density slightly and upgrade the motors. Very close to your weight target. The Porsche Mission R is 3300# but that chassis isn't street legal. A little more than that is doable now.

For street driving, Bev has already won on objective criteria. It's inevitable. More torque, more comfort, less maintenance. For track driving, Bev still has a very long way to go for endurance and thermal management. Even the high end 6 figure bevs can't do more than a few laps without aftermarket work.

As for hypercars, well, these purchases are mostly emotional and irrational. I can envision a long run of ice and hybrids just like classic cars. Objectively worse in every aspect and yet. Folks do love them.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,018 · (Edited)
EVs will get down there pretty soon. A Model 3 performance is a 4 door sedan and weighs 4100#. Chop off the back seats, up the battery density slightly and upgrade the motors. Very close to your weight target. The Porsche Mission R is 3300# but that chassis isn't street legal. A little more than that is doable now.

For street driving, Bev has already won on objective criteria. It's inevitable. More torque, more comfort, less maintenance. For track driving, Bev still has a very long way to go for endurance and thermal management. Even the high end 6 figure bevs can't do more than a few laps without aftermarket work.

As for hypercars, well, these purchases are mostly emotional and irrational. I can envision a long run of ice and hybrids just like classic cars. Objectively worse in every aspect and yet. Folks do love them.
I guess it depends on what you mean as a track car. Most the folks I see do 'full day' track sessions of 20-30 minutes on track, then 20-30 resting the car, then back for another session. So like 3-4 sessions before lunch and then similarly 3-4 sessions after lunch.

From what I see, model 3 (and maybe now model S with the new track mode) can handle this pretty decently. If you mean more like endurance/racing, yea, not even close. But for 'most' people that track, I think some might argue it's there already.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Some people are wondering why Tesla keeps trying to make a supercar out of a 4,900 Lb - 5 seat, 4-door luxury car and not just produce the Roadster. Wondering where all the lap times and comparison tests are between say...the Nevera and a Senna around a road course. Can the Nevera really do an 8.65 quarter and 258 mph? You'd think with all the hype & superiority themed write ups about these BEV's there'd be more questions being asked.

My understanding is the Plaid can't do a 9.4 quarter and 200 mph without this mysterious software update and different rims and tires. If a Dodge Redeye does a 10.4 quarter(on semi-slicks) stock and still tops out at 203+, what would happen if you put a rear-gear set that was so low that it's top speed came out to 175, or 163mph? Would it run low 9's? Hmm...

Still not sure how Tesla is going to get the Roadster under 4,000 Lb when the Nevera is carbon everything and still weighs in at 4,740 Lb.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,020 ·
Some people are wondering why Tesla keeps trying to make a supercar out of a 4,900 Lb - 5 seat, 4-door luxury car and not just produce the Roadster. Wondering where all the lap times and comparison tests are between say...the Nevera and a Senna around a road course. Can the Nevera really do an 8.65 quarter and 258 mph? You'd think with all the hype & superiority themed write ups about these BEV's there'd be more questions being asked.

My understanding is the Plaid can't do a 9.4 quarter and 200 mph without this mysterious software update and different rims and tires. If a Dodge Redeye does a 10.4 quarter(on semi-slicks) stock and still tops out at 203+, what would happen if you put a rear-gear set that was so low that it's top speed came out to 175, or 163mph? Would it run low 9's? Hmm...

Still not sure how Tesla is going to get the Roadster under 4,000 Lb when the Nevera is carbon everything and still weighs in at 4,740 Lb.

All good points. The Tesla software update, I wouldn't doubt that. They've consistently been late to ship things, and then later eventually do get the software updates out.

I do not know enough about the Never to comment on it's quarter, and top speed. But I'm willing to bet $1 that Tesla will ship the update to let it go over 200mph. My bet is when they do, their quarter of mile times will actually improve.

1001 - 1020 of 1029 Posts