McLaren Life banner

741 - 750 of 750 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
It's a car forum.
I post all my preposterous assertions here (cause my wife no longer listens to me).
Surely this is the right place for such things :)
I have yet to read a comment by you that was preposterous. If you ever say something that is preposterous, I have no doubt that you will do so with tongue-in-cheek or by exaggerating in order to make the point. In contrast, the other member wrote something that was ridiculous and yet he gave every indication that he actually believed it. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
it’s really nice car and i really love it, it started get more popular all over the world now, i bought one few years ago after i had a nice experience of driving it when i was on a vacation to Odessa, Ukraine, i rented it for low price on Rental Car in Ukraine - Budget & Best car hire | NarsCars and driving it was the most interesting thing on that vacation and that’s why i decided to buy one when i go back home and i did, now i have it for 2 years with 50k miles and its battery still running great ! i really recommend it because it’s more powerful and efficient.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #745 (Edited)

This is a faster time than a McLaren P1 driven by no other than Randy Pobst.

Some suggested that Tesla used a stripped-down interior to achieve the time, but Vittel revealed that they only changed the seat for a bucket seat for his safety.

As for the tires, they are apparently the ones that Tesla will use for the production version.

Vittel said about the tires:

“Michelin sport cup 2 with specific gum that will be available when car will be released. Very similar to Cup 2 R tire.”
This is a 5000lbs sedan and it destroys everything out there. It starts at 140k and makes the Porsche Tycan Turbo S offering look like the limpest **** offering ever for 185k.

The exotics are ostriches. They need to be offering something competitive and right now you got Rimac and not much else.

What is the reason for a super car to exist. Ok, it lost the straight line race a while ago, but now it gets destroyed on track...by a 5000lbs family sedan. When the roadster comes out it's going to just destroy everything out there.

The only thing the ICE exotics COULD offer is lightness and there are really only 2 off brands offering it, the T.50 and the SCG004. All other exotics are also high momentum (ie fatty f*** cars).

If the exotics dont wake up to this, they're going to get run over and die. Super impressive.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Oh...I have been so waiting for this...

The one thing I have noticed in the media & car rags is that you never see these electrics go up against ICE powered cars around the track for any length of time. Its always a quarter mile drag race. Car & Driver did it on multiple occasions in their end of the year VIR testing. The Tesla kept going into Limp Mode.

Yes, things have changed with Tesla's since then, but mostly you don't hear about the overheated batteries (not to mention long-term damage) burnt brakes on fire, tires that are done within seconds of having to deal with 4500+ lbs of weight and other issues.

I've had a few significant contests with my Hellcat Redeye and one of the most memorable was with a Model S P100D - a little kickdown at about 30mph (I wasn't in Track Mode - but Normal Mode) I spun hard, he leaped ahead by about a car length immedietely. I was impressed, until I started to reel him in. By a hundred I was a car length ahead, by 130 I was about 4 car lengths ahead. I wasn't sure when he let off, but wasn't until after 130... Would he have had me from a dig on the street? You bet. What about a spirited drive on a mountain road though? They're (unfortunately) about the same weight, but I have bigger brakes, bigger tires, higher cornering speeds, higher top speed - but yeah - they got me 'down low'. When they deplete the battery, they have some serious longe recharge times. I pull over and in 5 minutes I'm full and can be back at redline in seconds. And my car is a pig. A Turbo S, 720 or God forbid a 765 would make me his clown.

Are the ICE manufacturers dropping the ball? A little...

50 bucks says we'll never a side-by-side of the following cars on the same track (road course or otherwise) on the same day:

Plaid Model S
Tesla Roadster
Lotus Eviya
Rimac
Pinninfarina

vs.

Porsche Turbo S / GT3 RS / GT2 RS (Porsche hybrid Hypercar?)
765LT or Senna (P1 hybrid Replacement?)
Valkyrie
AMG One
T.50
any Pagani
any Ksegg

·
Registered
1,092 Posts

The one thing I have noticed in the media & car rags is that you never see these electrics go up against ICE powered cars around the track for any length of time. Its always a quarter mile drag race. Car & Driver did it on multiple occasions in their end of the year VIR testing. The Tesla kept going into Limp Mode.

Yes, things have changed with Tesla's since then, but mostly you don't hear about the overheated batteries (not to mention long-term damage) burnt brakes on fire, tires that are done within seconds of having to deal with 4500+ lbs of weight and other issues.

I've had a few significant contests with my Hellcat Redeye and one of the most memorable was with a Model S P100D - a little kickdown at about 30mph (I wasn't in Track Mode - but Normal Mode) I spun hard, he leaped ahead by about a car length immedietely. I was impressed, until I started to reel him in. By a hundred I was a car length ahead, by 130 I was about 4 car lengths ahead. I wasn't sure when he let off, but wasn't until after 130... Would he have had me from a dig on the street? You bet. What about a spirited drive on a mountain road though? They're (unfortunately) about the same weight, but I have bigger brakes, bigger tires, higher cornering speeds, higher top speed - but yeah - they got me 'down low'. When they deplete the battery, they have some serious longe recharge times. I pull over and in 5 minutes I'm full and can be back at redline in seconds. And my car is a pig. A Turbo S, 720 or God forbid a 765 would make me his clown.

50 bucks says we'll never a side-by-side of the following cars on the same track (road course or otherwise) on the same day:

Plaid Model S
Tesla Roadster
Lotus Eviya
Rimac
Pinninfarina

vs.

Valkyrie
AMG One
T.50
any Pagani
any Ksegg
sure. But I’m gonna get one over a m4/m5 Or e63 or whatever if the number are true

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #748

Plaid Model S
Tesla Roadster
Lotus Eviya
Rimac
Pinninfarina

vs.

Valkyrie
AMG One
T.50
any Pagani
any Ksegg
You make a lot of good points but some are out of date.

For example, for a long time top speed for electric cars was around 120-130 as there was no gearing. The very first Tesla roadster was supposed to have 2 gears but they never figured it out. Tesla improved their electric motor at some point about 3 years ago and top speed went up to 150-160. Then Rimac recently improved and put in a 2nd gear with the Rimac One.

This has all greatly accelerated. The older cars would basically overheat and not be able to complete a lap at top out speed. That was years ago. Now you can see model 3s (which base models only weigh around 3500lbs) able to keep going round and round. Model S was not able to do sustain runs around the track. Will be interesting to see if the new model S plaid will benefit from the model 3 advancements such that it no longer overheats.

The point being, the 'punks out' overheating issue seems to be going if not gone from modern electric cars. The top speed is power fade is going away too. The 2nd gear on these cars opens up all kinds of huge top end speeds too.

Your point on the brakes bursting into flames keeping a 5000lbs water buffalo on track is an excellent one. That said, my 3200lbs pig also smokes the brakes like crazy.

I think no one ran track comparisons with the electrics is because early cars couldn't make it around the track. That is no longer true, at least with the model 3. I think we WILL be seeing lap times moving forward and I think that doesn't bode well for ICE super cars.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Haven't cumbersome power limousines (also with ICE or even SUV's) already displaced many sports cars in various sports car disciplines for a long time? For example, what about the much praised four-seat Godzilla from Nissan? Of course, one speaks here of super sports cars. But haven't these differences long been purely academic values? Who is able to distinguish an acceleration capacity of 3.8 seconds from 3.2 seconds? Damn fast is damn fast. The rest are regular discussions.

We must finally stop playing electric vehicles off against the ICE cars. Car is car. I don't understand these discussions about demarcation. I've been driving go-karts with electric drive for over 20 years, and they've been fun since day one...

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #750
I like where the electric cars are going. I think the debate is some of my friends say that even when the electric cars match and surpass the performance of ICE engines significantly (and we are talking about significant improvements moving from 0-60 of 1.8 seconds, quarter of a mile under 9 seconds for electric), when they perform better on track etc. that ICE supercars will still have a market.

I know for me, much of the reason of getting an ICE super car goes away.

From what I've heard Ferrari and mclaren say, they might stick with hybrids and seem to be behind on the electric side of things.

For me the interesting question becomes, will the big exotic car companies get on board.

So far only Lotus has.

741 - 750 of 750 Posts