McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new guy here. I've got a 458 but hear good things about the 12C. I drove the demo car the other day and was very impressed. The car feels stronger in the midrange than the 458 although the throttle is much tamer in the softer settings than the Ferrari which is a bit twitchy. The Mac feels narrower, probably due to the inboard seat position. It was only a city drive but the capability of the car is quickly obvious.

Any car lover would be impressed by the 12C. For me, the 458 habit would be hard to kick though. To have both would be lovely but the divorce would hurt...

Anyway, here's a pic or two.

Attachments

·
Mark Antar Design
1,870 Posts

Attachments

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
I'll soon find out. I bought it. :)
Congratulations! You'll be snapping necks wherever you go in that! :cool:

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Is that partly because its in another country ?? or the 12c is just too good ;):)
12 c different league in my opinion, and don't get me wrong .. I absolutely adored the 458 when I first got it (april 2010) as it was at that point also in a different league

I take the 12c to the continent a lot in the summer so I have equal access to both.. so it's just choice, nothing to do with geography.. (and the 12c is arguably handicapped by being RHD).,.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
12 c different league in my opinion, and don't get me wrong .. I absolutely adored the 458 when I first got it (april 2010) as it was at that point also in a different league

I take the 12c to the continent a lot in the summer so I have equal access to both.. so it's just choice, nothing to do with geography.. (and the 12c is arguably handicapped by being RHD).,.
Thats a recommendation Mike!! I didnt realise your 458 was lhd and you still prefer the 12c on your mountain roads,unless im reading it wrong? Still envious of being able to jump in her and drive those local mountain passes,one day soon for me.:)

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Thats a recommendation Mike!! I didnt realise your 458 was lhd and you still prefer the 12c on your mountain roads,unless im reading it wrong? Still envious of being able to jump in her and drive those local mountain passes,one day soon for me.:)
I can honestly say I am still surprised when I drive the 12 c.
Honestly I don't drive in the mountains that much as I am significantly more worried about the Swiss limits than the French. South of Grenoble to the cote d'azur are some of the best roads in the world. Some of which are well known, some not at all.. Guess you can't beat the track ultimately but boy with hot tyres and hot brakes the 12c is majestic around there. Quicker, more composed, better balanced than the 458. And less of a show off. Which personally I like. You learn to deal with the rhd. Looking down insides of cars etc. all tricks I learnt when I took my Griffith to Switzerland 14 years ago !

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Honestly I don't drive in the mountains that much as I am significantly more worried about the Swiss limits than the French. South of Grenoble to the cote d'azur are some of the best roads in the world. Some of which are well known, some not at all.. Guess you can't beat the track ultimately but boy with hot tyres and hot brakes the 12c is majestic around there. Quicker, more composed, better balanced than the 458. And less of a show off. Which personally I like. You learn to deal with the rhd. Looking down insides of cars etc. all tricks I learnt when I took my Griffith to Switzerland 14 years ago !
Your braver than me Mike!! A rhd Griffith on mountain roads with no TC,respect as they say!

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
I had (in fact still have) a 458... don't drive it anymore.. :)
.. Guess you can't beat the track ultimately but boy with hot tyres and hot brakes the 12c is majestic around there. Quicker, more composed, better balanced than the 458.
Mikey, these comments made me smile and I imagine anybody at McLaren following along would be smiling as well. It makes me think back to all the magazine comparo capers, the naysayers and know-it-all touring car drivers sh!tting all over McLaren. I guess Ferrari can manipulate the press all they want, but the one thing they cannot do is stop their customers from driving a McLaren (though no doubt they will try).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts