McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think all of us have had brake pads rust to the rotors, requiring a nudge of the throttle to free them. I've experienced it dozens of times on my 911 tt, but never like this.
Drove my car home thru driving rain, parked it in the garage, and toweled it off. Came back 5 days later, put it in reverse, and it wouldn't budge. Gave it throttle, then more throttle, and it suddenly lurched backward, with the typical sound of the breaking loose. . i thought the pedal felt low when I stopped it. On driving forward, heard a clunk-clunk-clunk coming from the front.
When the dealer took the wheels off, it turned out a triangular section of the left front pad had rusted to the disc, and had actually broken off the pad, stuck to the disk. That was the clunking, as the wheel rotated.
I'm sure there is a fair amount of iron in the pads, thus the rust. But, I have never had a chunk of pad break off. Anyone else experience this? (this was just rain water, no salt, 70 degree temps, no more than 5 days of sitting) Thanks

·
Sponsor
936 Posts
Did they cover all the repairs or did you have to pay anything at all? I hope they covered it. Seems silly that this would happen.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Had it stick many times,but never break,i also leave the handbrake off when it been wet,im not sure what material the pads are on that,but its more likely to stick when its been held tight to the rotor,just a thought.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm told they are covering new front pads and rotors. Will post if it happens again. Possibly a faulty pad. Thanks all. AS

·
Registered
293 Posts
In Aviation, Pilots will always "drag" the brakes when wet before parking an aircraft. I do this religiously on all my cars and never have had any issues I especially "drag" them after washing my cars, as the rotors will be cold and will oxidize within minutes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The 12C has a sensor that will detect moisture on the rotors and "squeegee" them off with the brake pads when moving, so no need to drag the brakes like Zachery does with his Dassault Falcon.

I have (several times) had to do the same as the OP for rusty rotors that have sat outdoors for months and have never had the pad break. It sounds like a defective brake pad to me.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Never had that issue, except on my Lotus Esprit V8, but never had a pad break. Another reason I love my ceramic brakes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Had that last Winter on my 997 Turbo PCCB Rotors. On both sides during cold weather (Snow, Ice) the brake pads frezzed on the rotors and a pice off the rotor got broken out on both sides.

·
Registered
432 Posts
My pads stick every time I was the car. Somewhat annoying, but never broken off the pad.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
If you have wet iron brakes and don't dry them before parking and the parking brake sets tight you are going to have problems.

I have seen guys apply their parking brake after tracking / really hard driving.

This may be a defect but it's still important to use proper care especially on hot ceramics or they will warp in a heartbeat.

Was this the original set of brake pads?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ive noticed the brake wont release if one of the doors are ajar.
Or if your seatbelt isnt on. So could this of caused the brakepad to brake when you gave it alot of gas?
lc

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Ive noticed the brake wont release if one of the doors are ajar.
Or if your seatbelt isnt on. So could this of caused the brakepad to brake when you gave it alot of gas?
lc
That's only the handbrake that is applied when you do that,so no,unless it it the handbrake pad that broke :)

·
Registered
691 Posts
I recall my parents would always drag the brakes a bit after driving through a puddle... ...but I've not seen anyone do that in decades (I think it's because wet drum brakes basically suck).

I'm guessing this is a bad pad (mfg defect) - I've never seen it or even heard about it before...

·
Registered
207 Posts
That's only the handbrake that is applied when you do that,so no,unless it it the handbrake pad that broke :)
gotcha, thx
lc

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This was the original set of pads (6,000 miles). Tracked twice (only used hard on one of those events, Andy Pilgrim driving). McLaren is standing behind new rotors and pads. I will certainly be anxious to see if this happens again (and will find out as I'm an all-weather driver, and the car will get wet). Thanks for all the responses

1 - 20 of 20 Posts