McLaren Life banner

1 - 15 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deposit down on this beauty, getting it in a couple of weeks, just one thing on the test drive, I heard a buzzing from the front of the car intermittently, more noticeable when stationary, salesman says it was the power steering pump, just wanted to check that's normal and they all do it, was definitely something switching on for a while and then off, but turning the wheel while stationary didn't seem to initiate it, not a big deal, just wanted to check that's normal thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats! We have the same color!
I agonized over the colour for some time, but love the red with Carbon! do you get the powersteering motor noise coming on and off at tick over that you notice?
its gone for PPF but will have some proper pics once I get it back

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Congratulations on the 720S purchase.
The pump also pressures the hydraulic suspension accumulators, which may leak and need replacing. Suggest you have a McLaren service mechanic check the system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, its the dealer's demo, so its going for a full healthcheck before I collect it, will mention they should look at that though.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Congrats and yes that buzzing noise is normal. I have the same noise on my 20' spider. I believe they all make this noise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My car buzzed constantly, unless I was sitting standstill for a longer period of time. It would start buzzing again the moment I moved off or touched the wheel. It was audible even while moving, over my music and the road noise. I guess it's a higher frequency noise that not everyone is sensitive to but I found it incredibly irritating to the point where I could not drive the car.

Service advised no abnormalities (it's linked to the hydraulics for suspension and power steering- they checked fluid level and pump). They were able to add some padding around the offending pump that has essentially turned down the volume on the noise but is definitely still audible at idle. However, it's much better than it was prior. Worth looking into if it is particularly bothersome to you.

It's definitely louder in the 720S cabin than prior models, but if you stand outside in front of a running 12C/650S, you can hear the same buzzing even over the exhaust.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I can hear the buzzing outside the car as well as the two other 720s I asked the dealer to start just to confirm the car I was purchasing is fine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It’s been on the two cars I drove. I found it louder in one versus the other. It’s annoying and not a pleasant sound. The car is so good though it’s definitely livable.

the comment about some being more sensitive to the pitch of the sound than others is interesting though and I hadn’t thought of that. Maybe I am.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I must be deaf. I didn't hear it in my 12C and I don't hear it in my 720S.

Joe

·
Registered
24 Posts
I hear little robot noises on my 2019 720 as well. Kind of like little stepper motors or servos or the like. Kind of sounds cool to me. Apparently it's normal.

1 - 15 of 14 Posts