McLaren Life banner

New Owner....Need help with an issue

3K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  snowhorn 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Thanks for having this forum. I am a recent buyer of a 2012 Mclaren MP4-12C. It is a wonderful car.

I have in the last few days noticed an issue presenting itself and wanted to see if anyone else has or is experiencing the same before I take it down for service. A bit about the car.....

2550 Miles since new
Has the standard upgrades by Mclaren to up the power and other features

Specifically, during cold starts it skips and missfires which causes the Check Engine Light (CEL) to blink. This goes on for about 1 minute then the light goes off. Then last night after this cold start issue the car ran ok but after it warmed up, while driving and making a few hard acceleration runs (up to the posted speed limit of course...lol) i noticed it seemed to have a high speed miss.

Having been around race cars most of my adult life, the symptoms seem to be that of a spark plug or plug wire or coil issue.

I welcome any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts....

Tom

See less See more
#2 ·
All I can advise is this is a new issue. Is your fuel good quality and what ambient temperatures do you have locally?

My car starts on command and burbles away even when left in the garage for a few weeks.

Sounds like an ignition or starvation problem, have you checked the points?

#8 ·
It could be the purge valve for the charcoal canister of the EVAP system - I had similar symptoms and the valve was not cycling properly, was replaced and so far all seems fine.

Something the dealer has to diagnose, usually with uplink to Woking to have a factory engineer stick his nose into your computer........ :p

#9 ·
Thanks for all the quick feedback...and to clarify I didn't run it hard until after it warmed up. Having constantly changing weather here lately....from 70's to high 20's. Drove it today and did not have either issue. Have not changed or added gasoline since last night. Weather is about 55 degrees. Will take it next week to get looked at. In neutral it has always idled with a vibration...never real smooth. I dont know if that is common as this one has idled rough or with a vibration feel since the first time i started it.

Thanks again,

#12 ·
I had the same issue which was a multiple cylinder misfire code. Some smarter people than me noted that there is a batch of sensors in between the pistons that might be too sensitive. It has gone away now with code upgrades and flashing the system once that was installed...so I am guessing they were able to reduce sensor sensitivity. That being said my issues where during cold starts like yours but also very hot Texas summers. Hoping this summer it does not come back :)...will keep you posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.