McLaren Life banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys ... just wanted to introduce myself here and ask for some help.

I finally took the step an traded my LP560-4 for the McLaren.
Its a 2012 White with 700 miles on the clock (I'm the second owner).
Its a full loaded car with almost every option including Ceramic Brakes.
I plan to use it on the track so the brakes made sense for me.

I received the car a week and a half ago and I had little time to use it yet.
I manage to put a few miles on the car last weekend and I'm loving it.
The car still have software version 9 as per some included documents and I scheduled an appointment to do the new update at my local McLaren dealership. It will be done next Wednesday.

After using the car last weekend, this past Monday I was going to move it on the garage and as soon as I started it I got a message of "Low Engine Oil Pressure - Stop the Car".
Every time that I have tried to stat it up after that, I always get the same message.

I talked to the McLaren dealership yesterday and they told me that it should be a software glitch. They asked me to start the car, if the message comes up, shut the car off and lock the car. Leave it for 15 minutes locked and then turn it on again. They say this procedure resets the computers on the cars.

I tried this procedure three times already with no luck. :(
The error message locks the left screen so I don't have a way to measure oil level.

Did anybody here had a similar failure on the cars ?

Is there any other reset procedure for the computers ?

I really wanted to put some more miles on the car this weekend and I would hate to tow the truck for his first visit to the service department.

Any ideas or help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ...

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Go with the dealer advice despite the frustration. It's probably a software issue or malfunctioning sensor but be patient is my council .

I assume the engine hasn't been stolen?

ps. If I remember locking the car by holding the key sensor longer than necessary reboots the car. Then see if it demands more oil pressure .

·
Registered
239 Posts
I had the same thing, hopefully a glitch. Which is in part why I started a thread on the absence of an oil pressure gauge or display.

And I'll say it here again. Oil QUANTITY does not assure oil PRESSURE. It would sure be reassuring to check a PRESSURE display or gauge when a warning occurs. No can do, unlike every other vehicle I own including my pickup truck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tried a few more times during the weekend and I got same error ... I guess I'll just wait to get the update done on Wednesday and hopefully it will be fixed ... I'm just afraid of driving the car to the dealership ... In case the low oil pressure error it's real.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Tried a few more times during the weekend and I got same error ... I guess I'll just wait to get the update done on Wednesday and hopefully it will be fixed ... I'm just afraid of driving the car to the dealership ... In case the low oil pressure error it's real.
Very true. Ask the dealer to pick it up with a flatbed. Or get a written statement that it's ok to drive there. I assume you car's battery is fully charged?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
551 Posts
I wouldn't trust it. Why not ask the dealer if they could come to your home - check it and they take it with them for the updates. One never knows what happened with it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Not meaning to hijack this thread, oil pressure is a KEY measurement IMHO. This might be a place where the after market vendors could make a real difference. Any ideas youse guys?

·
Registered
239 Posts
My hope is McLaren addresses this issue in software. Otherwise, an aftermarket solution is likely to be very difficult to do right, as there is nowhere very good to put a display or gauge that won't disrupt the rest of the dash. An ordinary round gauge won't really go anywhere

·
Registered
964 Posts
Twice I've had a low oil pressure warning along with the chimes and the engine shut down.
Both time the engine was at low revs.. and abroad at the time - not that should make any difference:eek:
Upon trying to restart the car the warning continued for a while but the car started and ran as normal, I did the oil level check and all was OK...

Arriving home I contacted the dealer and the service team said they had come across this a few times before but the cause was actually the other way round, they reckon that the engine revs was caught out (possibly software) and actually stalled the engine which brought about the low pressure warning..

It only did it the two times and whilst on that trip, never before and never since :confused:

·
Owner
893 Posts
My hope is McLaren addresses this issue in software. Otherwise, an aftermarket solution is likely to be very difficult to do right, as there is nowhere very good to put a display or gauge that won't disrupt the rest of the dash. An ordinary round gauge won't really go anywhere
kverges,
I am no electronic wizard but, I've been thinking about this (oil pressure) situation:
Since there looks to be some type of an oil pressure sensing mechanism deep in this car's software (as is seen in McDc's photo) ...... Then surely they could find a way to substitute the oil pressure reading as an alternative for the oil temp. reading in the right hand display, no ??
I/O/W: Driver's selectable view .... Oil Pressure or Oil Temperature
:)

·
Registered
239 Posts
kverges,
I am no electronic wizard but, I've been thinking about this (oil pressure) situation:
Since there looks to be some type of an oil pressure sensing mechanism deep in this car's software (as is seen in McDc's photo) ...... Then surely they could find a way to substitute the oil pressure reading as an alternative for the oil temp. reading in the right hand display, no ??
I/O/W: Driver's selectable view .... Oil Pressure or Oil Temperature
:)
Oh I have no doubt this is possible. . . .

·
Registered
144 Posts
Did they fix the problem and if so, what was the problem?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts