McLaren Life banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am lucky to have a wife who likes cars as much as I do.
Purchased a MP4 on MSO today.
It is her birthday gift and she absolutely loves the car.
She plans on driving it as often as she can.

Got it home just before the rain so the pictures are garage only messy as it is.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
Welcome to Mlife!

Great combination of colors and cars.

I had a 77 Firebird Formula in hs always got blown away by that 455 Beast!

You are extremely lucky - enjoy the MP4 :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Happy birthday to your wife, and congrats on finding a girl who loves cars like you do! I'm in the same boat and loving my married life hahaha!

Lovely black 12C with that burnt orange interior... Enjoy!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Congrats!! I'm in the same lucky boat with my wife. It's fun being able to show her a car I like and her first questions are "how much power does it have?" and "you know I'm going to drive it, right?" :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Comparing the Mclaren to the GT is very difficult. I have only driven the Mclaren 2 times so far but I did have a chance to push it a little last night. It is a much more refined car and obviously has all of the electronic help that is almost totally non existent on the GT.

I have always preferred the no thrills race car ride crowd having owned a replica M6BGT several years ago with a real aluminum tub and the suspension from a Lola T-70 etc. I now have a Mosler and a 1985 Countach in the other garage, so even the GT is a big step up in comfort for us. The Mclaren is a world apart from what we are used to at least for comfort and drivability.

My first impressions of the GT was that it was difficult to see where the fenders were and there is a huge blind spot from the pillar and mirror on the driver side.

The first impression both my wife and I had of the Mclaren was how incredibly easy it was to drive and how easy it was to see everything. My 16 year old son is out with my wife right now driving the car. My wife drives the Countach and the Ford GT but she does not like to drive the GT unless she has to. She is very uncomfortable with the feel for the corners of the car. My son feels the same way about all three of the cars. (they just got back). Once again he thought it was easy to drive but complained that he lost the paddles when turning the wheel.

My impressions so far are that it is faster then the GT (650HP) and will handle better as well. I am always worried that the GT will swap ends on me like it has for over 1,000 other guys, so I am a little extra careful with it. The GT feels wider when driving it and you feel like you are in the middle of the car length wise. So far I feel like I am way up front in the Mclaren like a twin engined or jet airplane. I definitely have the feeling there is a lot more car behind me then I perceive it to be.

It is not as fast as the Mosler and doesn't seem to handle as well but the Mosler has over 800 HP and only weighs 2,400 pounds, no power steering or brakes and no rubber suspension pieces at all.

So far the Mclaren is a definite keeper. A car that we would likely drive when we would not take any of the other cars.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Welcome! Nice collection.

Which cobra is that? I used to have an polished aluminum KMS 427 that I regrettably sold to a friend. Thinking of getting back into one. Love the basic, raw, light weight, no electronics, big ass engine, kind of car!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cobra is a Factory Five. I always wanted one and one of the pilot's next to my hanger had this one for sale about 25% done. He was my helicopter instructor and never charged me. And he was selling it because he was being deployed to Afghanistan. And he wanted 2,000 less then I thought it was worth at the time.

No brain er at that point.

This is my Mosler

Attachments

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
It is not as fast as the Mosler and doesn't seem to handle as well but the Mosler has over 800 HP and only weighs 2,400 pounds, no power steering or brakes and no rubber suspension pieces at all.

The Mosler has no brakes! Your kidding..........and your wife complains it does not corner. She is a brave lass.

Amazing collection. And I like your cars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts